Need amp help: Thinking of Wizard MTL/Rivera KR7/Maxxwatt SH

• Thread starter Thread starter LunatiBSW
  • Start date Start date
LunatiBSW
LunatiBSW
I know they are different. But these have piqued my interest lately.
I’ve spoken to a couple buds on here I trust about the Wizard MTL. Played a 50w MTL 2012, loved it.
Almost snagged the 100 MTL one in the classifieds but it went super quick, and I was running around with turkey day stuff and missed it.
Would like to buy barely used, but new isn’t out of the question.
Looking for brutal gain clarity with tight gut punching lowend and good grinding mids.
:rock: what every metal head here wants hahaha

Maxwatt super high is high on the list, but not sure if those are shipping?
I heard there was a delay. Also heard Fortin was releasing some new amps that could be up my alley.
Here’s the deal:
I just don’t really play super low tuning or 7/8 string.
Pretty much drop c# is the lowest I play on a 6, and I Also like standard tuning (drop d) also.
I know a lot of Fortin stuff is tuned more for that 7/8 string crowd.
May do a 7 again in the future, but wouldn’t down tune much.

Would love some opinions.
May be moving some gear around, so I trust these RT opionions over anything else.

I do love the amps in my sig, they can get brutal metal tones that I’m happy with.
Just wanting to try some other amps, and make sure I don’t miss out on my unicorn

Hey man, what’s this about new Fortin amps?? I just got my Meshuggah and it’s brutal as all hell, might be my favourite amp to date, super fun to play (but I’m usually in drop G on 7 string, or drop C). I could not imagine that the Maxwatt would disappoint, but there’s not a lot stirring about it so it is a gamble.

What about KSR?? They seem like they would be up your alley as well

judging by what you are looking for and what amps you already have id say 6505+

To muddy the waters even more for ya, I'd definitely be looking at the Peters Bodyhammer also. I talked to James for a couple hours and if you like modern tones, thrash tones, and death metal, it seems like it'd be sick.

If you go the Wizard route, DON'T discount the MCII. It's a fuckin beast for all things metal :rock:

I owned a KR7 a few years back. That thing was a monster and you can literally get any tone you want out of it. Its up there with a Pittbull UL as most brutal amps I've owned.

Maxxwatt would be on my list, (if I won the lottery).

MetalHeadMike":37gec03j said:
To muddy the waters even more for ya, I'd definitely be looking at the Peters Bodyhammer also. I talked to James for a couple hours and if you like modern tones, thrash tones, and death metal, it seems like it'd be sick.

If you go the Wizard route, DON'T discount the MCII. It's a fuckin beast for all things metal :rock:
I would agree with this, in fact I'd recommend picking this over the MTL because the MTL is not very boost friendly, and it won't get that saturated unless you can boost it. The MCI/II is more boost friendly than the 50w MTL I had because you could leave the pull boost off and use a pedal instead, which opens a ton of doors on different boost pedals for different tones/levels of gain. The 50w MTL I had the saturation was always on, which I suspect limited any pedal that I had in boosting, it sounded less big/open with the pedals unlike the MCI which loved a boost pedal as long as the pull boost on the amp was off.
Unless a boost pedal is used, you won't get a saturated tone like you would say a 6505. But, it will be the most punchy and clear high gain amp you will ever play, IMO.

Dude, get the Wizard MTL, make some videos with your walls shaking your house apart which will in turn strengthen my existing Wizard MTL gas and cause me to get one too :thumbsup:

Apex1Rg7X":1zh3yll3 said:
I owned a KR7 a few years back. That thing was a monster and you can literally get any tone you want out of it. Its up there with a Pittbull UL as most brutal amps I've owned.
+100 on this. Owned the KR7 two different times.
Last time I had one. We had a Amp fest.
Buddy of mine brought over his Ultra Lead.
We were doing some head cutting trading riffs playing with my drummer.
Both of us were at gig level loud.
And both amps sounded exactly the same.
The Kr7 has so many pull push knobs it’s crazy.
:rock:

Just looked up that KR7; had never heard of it.......HOLY SHIT that thing sounds badass on paper. Subwoofer out and a focus knob to dial in the low end :inlove:

Rivera's are great amps, very well built and will have GREAT cleans to go with the gain channels. I had a TBR 1SL for a spell a few years back, that thing could run 6550s on one side and EL34s on the other. Great amp.

Yeah Riveras are nice. Very aggressive. Kind of like a Rectifier meets an Uberschall. Sort of.

I'd like to try the Maxwatt Super-Hi, but my gut tells me it's an Aldrich clone and it's not worth the hassle of importing one.

Meshuggah clips are awesome. I had one. Didn't sound anything like the clips floating around. Literally ZERO similarity. I built my own version of that amp and I like it more. Added a depth control and removed a funky part of the NFB circuit. Sounds great this way for standard tuning or maybe a step down. I don't drop tune or play 7/8 strings either. So maybe that's why I didn't like the stock circuit.

KSR are nice. I enjoy both of mine. The Ares is angry.

^^^
:yes: The ARES is an angry little beast. I believe my old ARES is up here; brutal amp.

I'm usually in drop D and rarely use anything lower.

If your looking at the KR7 you might want to look at the Knucklehead Tré.

To be honest I'm surprised these amps are not talked about more often.

errrrrl":1pdtkjib said:
Dude, get the Wizard MTL, make some videos with your walls shaking your house apart which will in turn strengthen my existing Wizard MTL gas and cause me to get one too :thumbsup:

What he said! :thumbsup:

Just order a new one with KT88s :rock:

stephen sawall":z116cocp said:
I'm usually in drop D and rarely use anything lower.

If your looking at the KR7 you might want to look at the Knucklehead Tré.

To be honest I'm surprised these amps are not talked about more often.

I'm also surprised how the Rivera stuff tends to be largely overlooked. I have a Knucklehead II, and like all Riveras, it's built like a tank. Has a gorgeous clean channel and does everything from classic rock to modern metal.

FWIW I've heard the Riveras really need some volume before they sound good, maybe more so than other amps so that could be one reason?

Back