NEW AMP DAY! Part 1 of 2.

Which one would you get if it were you, Monty?

Keep in mind, meloic metal, tight, percussive and articulate while retaining the girth, punch and clarity.

-Ans-

I would say either the Katana or BB. I've had more time with the BB and gotta say it is wonderful with the rectos. It tightens them up and also makes the leads nice and smooooooooooth :)

Did you ever try it on your 5150? Whichever one I get I'm planning on using on the FJA 5150II and/or the Recto, so I'd like one that works with both.

I'm debating if I should get the Keeley Compressor or not, what do ya think Monty? I've heard it does cool things to the recto, but for the most part, all the reviews are coming from folks who aren't using it for heavy metal rhythm applications, so I am hesitant. Thoughts?

-Ans-

I never tried either with the 5150 but I would kinda lean towards the BB since it has more control over the shaping.

I'm honestly not sure on the Comp. I haven't tried one but I know lots of folks have been getting great tones from it BUT like you said they're not using it for heavy tones. I've heard that they do boost things well but I'm just not so sure how well an actual compressor would work with high gain stuff in terms of clean boosting an already high gain signal.

See, the simplicity of the Katana is pushing me more towards it, honestly. Do you think the BB is going to retain that really hard, grindy recto edge and not dampen it? I still want the hardness and punch, but just a LITTLE more saturation and tightening of the low end, not so much smoothening.

Final verdict, Katana/BB?

-Ans-

Oh it definitely retains the recto soul, it just turns it blacker and more evil :D But both the Katana and BB are very cool and either should work fine. If you're going for a no frills just straight ahead sweet boost, I think the Katana would be the way to go :)

Or you could always just grab a cheapo DS1 and do the clean boost mod :D It actually works quite well.

Well, you could use an SD1 too. Lots of people have used them over the years as a boost and it's similar to the tubescreamer style with different clipping and no mid hump.

BUT...I meant the DS1. The distortion pedal. I know, I know...distortion pedal. But after a very simple mod (you clip out 3 components) it turns it from a mediocre distortion pedal into a very handy dandy clean boost.

Unity gain is around 8:30 and you can turn it up waaaaaaay past that to get thicker/tighter tones. The tone control is pretty transparent and clean up until 2:00 or so and it begins to add more dramatic highs. The distortion will add some distortion but I don't use it much.

:|::QBB:
zao":d4e32 said:
i used a sd1 with my triple and it made it sound much better.

Just about any OD/Boost will work. Bad Monkey, SD-1, TS-9, Crispy Cream, OCD, BB, TS-7, Rectos just like a boost, they don't care what it is. IMHO.

Back