New cab day! The beefiest 1x12 on earth!

• Thread starter Thread starter DanTravis62
  • Start date Start date
The 12L is definitely something different.

It's not similar to any celestions, but it's pleasing to the ear in its own way

The high end is this weird combo of very present, but very smooth, no matter the amp you run into them
Interesting description. So how do you feel about it compared to your favs? Up there or just too different?

The high end is this weird combo of very present, but very smooth
Just remembered that this was the same sorta thing I experienced when I started using a 12S. Lots of high-end content, but somehow still smooth. Haven't tried the 12L yet.

Just remembered that this was the same sorta thing I experienced when I started using a 12S. Lots of high-end content, but somehow still smooth. Haven't tried the 12L yet.

That's probably the most striking thing that's different from celestion/eminence type designs for sure

The high end just behaves very, very differently

Up there, it's way different than the speakers I normally go for, but its rad in its own way

Interestingly, it sounds amazing all the way through the gain spectrum

28" w x 24" h x 13" d

Thanks.

Define.... "Amazing"

Thanks.

Define.... "Amazing"

Meaning most speakers that sound good for high gain sound flat and one dimensional with clean and edge of breakup sounds.

the 12L sounds far better than a v30, creamback, greenback, redback, etc for those sounds, and maybe not better/worse but "Different" for the high gain sounds.

Meaning most speakers that sound good for high gain sound flat and one dimensional with clean and edge of breakup sounds.

the 12L sounds far better than a v30, creamback, greenback, redback, etc for those sounds, and maybe not better/worse but "Different" for the high gain sounds.

Nice.

...explain "different".

Nice.

...explain "different".

The high end is much smoother, but there's a lot of it there.

That's what @7704A and I were talking about above, it's a bit difficult to put your finger on because it sounds paradoxical.

That's what @7704A and I were talking about above, it's a bit difficult to put your finger on because it sounds paradoxical.
I think, at least for the 12S, possibly the 12L too, it's a case of the frequency response being wider but at the same time less peaky. Also less intermodulation distortion from the speaker? So you hear higher frequencies than usual, but with the rest of the range filling things out so it's not sharp, and the reduced speaker distortion reduces some of the harsh elements. Dunno. Spitballing here. I want to get a better handle on the physics and psychoacoustics behind this sorta stuff (including massive but tight bass), but haven't yet.

If your cab is a normal Cornford build, I have a 2x12 RK, I believe it's back and front is Baltic birch the rest being pine.

Back