New Tommy Aldridge vid

• Thread starter Thread starter VonBonfire
  • Start date Start date
V
VonBonfire
This is how it's done IMO. Not really a Whitesnake guy but just watching this dude play is great. Man what a killer rimshot and what intensity right to the end. In his 70's and he doesn't let up. Dude's legs are all cut, lol. There are dude's in their 20's out there who can't hit like this and not many dudes his age that can still play like an angry 21 year old kid. I always get excited when a drummer really brings it and have a couple stories about that happening unexpectedly a some gigs haha but I wanted to share this. I hope you enjoy it Have a great day fellas.

This is how it's done IMO. Not really a Whitesnake guy but just watching this dude play is great. Man what a killer rimshot and what intensity right to the end. In his 70's and he doesn't let up. Dude's legs are all cut, lol. There are dude's in their 20's out there who can't hit like this and not many dudes his age that can still play like an angry 21 year old kid. I always get excited when a drummer really brings it and have a couple stories about that happening unexpectedly a some gigs haha but I wanted to share this. I hope you enjoy it Have a great day fellas.

Thanks, bro! This is great stuff. Drums are the first instrument I learned, and for my money Tommy is one of the all time greats. I had the privilege of attending an Ozzy gig shortly before Randy died. Tommy melted faces that night just like he always does. Man, that was a stellar lineup.

He's a double kick legend, but what often gets overlooked is the fact that his pocket is ridiculous and the guy is not just a power hitter. He can lay it down with subtlety and finesse, too!

His drum solo with Black Oak Arkansas in 1973 is EPIC. Check it out!

He wanted to leave Black Oak, but their manager told him "If you won't play with us, you won't play with anybody." and basically threatened to physically harm him. He talks about it in his interview with Dom Famularo.

Thanks, bro! This is great stuff. Drums are the first instrument I learned, and for my money Tommy is one of the all time greats. I had the privilege of attending an Ozzy gig shortly before Randy died. Tommy melted faces that night just like he always does. Man, that was a stellar lineup.

He's a double kick legend, but what often gets overlooked is the fact that his pocket is ridiculous and the guy is not just a power hitter. He can lay it down with subtlety and finesse, too!

He wanted to leave Black Oak, but their manager told him "If you won't play with us, you won't play with anybody." and basically threatened to physically harm him. He talks about it in his interview with Dom Famularo.

That was killer! I liked how he switched to using his hands, great showmanship and demonstration of skills and time behind a kit! What's also amazing to me is he almost appears to be hitting harder in the video of him from two days ago but I suppose making a video was a little less taxing than a long Black Oak gig, Hopefully he'll be like the Roy Haynes of the rock world and be killing it into his 80's. You'd think his wrists and shoulders would have had it by now with that beastly way of playing but the man just punishes that kit.

I'm not a big double bass guy but he uses it really tastefully and his pocket and feel is def top notch. His rimshot is as intense as anybodys and his snare sounds about as good as you could ask for. I know you drum, any idea what kinda snare Tommy uses? You know me Johnny, I'm a sucker for a hard hitting drummer!!!

That was killer! I liked how he switched to using his hands, great showmanship and demonstration of skills and time behind a kit! What's also amazing to me is he almost appears to be hitting harder in the video of him from two days ago but I suppose making a video was a little less taxing than a long Black Oak gig, Hopefully he'll be like the Roy Haynes of the rock world and be killing it into his 80's. You'd think his wrists and shoulders would have had it by now with that beastly way of playing but the man just punishes that kit.

I'm not a big double bass guy but he uses it really tastefully and his pocket and feel is def top notch. His rimshot is as intense as anybodys and his snare sounds about as good as you could ask for. I know you drum, any idea what kinda snare Tommy uses? You know me Johnny, I'm a sucker for a hard hitting drummer!!!

In that video he was using a Ludwig Model 402 Supraphonic 6.5x14. It's an aluminum shell. Ludwig used to call it "Ludalloy". LOL Exact same snare as Bonham used. A friend of mine is one of the big Kahunas in the Yamaha drum division and they used to make a special metal shell snare for Tommy. It was 5.5x14, a little shallower than the Ludwig. I don't know exactly what he's using now. I'll talk to my friend at Yamaha and ask him. I nag him every so often about doing a T.A. Signature Snare Drum. LOL

Tommy is a really cool human being. Very devout Christian and he has an awesome sense of humor. He once commented that the guy who mixed Bark at the Moon should be put to sleep. (They actually didn't put his second bass drum in the mix on that album!)

Last edited:
In that video he was using a Ludwig Model 402 Supraphonic 6.5x14. It's an aluminum shell. Ludwig used to call it "Ludalloy". LOL Exact same snare as Bonham used. A friend of mine is one of the big Kahunas in the Yamaha drum division and they used to make a special metal shell snare for him. It was 5.5x14, a little shallower than the Ludwig. I don't know exactly what he's using now. I'll talk to my friend at yamaha and ask him. I nag him every so often about doing a T.A. Signature Snare Drum. LOL

Tommy is a really cool human being. Very devout Christian and he has an awesome sense of humor. He once commented that the guy who mixed Bark at the Moon should be put to sleep. (They actually didn't put his second bass drum in the mix on that album!)
That figures, my bro uses a supraphonic, pretty sure it's the same size/depth too. Great sounding snare. I love the Ludwigs and similar copies. Black Beauty, Supraphonic, even an acrilite sounds pretty good.

The other drums in his kit are Yamaha PHX series which use a very unique shell construction. Two 18x24 bass drums, 12, 14, 16, and 18 toms.

He uses Paiste cymbals. I was stoked when he switched to Paiste. Best cymbals out there as far as I'm concerned. That's the only brand I play...good enough for Bonham, good enough for me!

That figures, my bro uses a supraphonic, pretty sure it's the same size/depth too. Great sounding snare. I love the Ludwigs and similar copies. Black Beauty, Supraphonic, even an acrilite sounds pretty good.

All 3 snares you mentioned are world class. The Supraphonic and the Acrolite are aluminum shells, the Black Beauty models use brass shells. Nowadays Ludwig still makes those and now offer several other options for the metal shells, Bronze, Copper, etc. Plus, you can get all those drums with hand hammered shells. They look awesome and they sound a bit drier than the non hammered shells.

I saw Tommy with Whitesnake back in 86 or so ........ they opened for Crue on the Girls Girls Girls Tour .....

He is just insanely good !!!!

and man .... he hasn't lost a step ..... friggin incredible

He's a beast - one of my favorite drummers out there. He always brings it.
I caught him several times, but early on - on the Bark at the Moon tour, and with Whitesnake in the early 2000's, where he was still tearing it up like a guy half his age

Saw the video. He still sounds great. But did anyone notice he spins his stick over his head like he's going to brush his hair? once you see it, its all you can see. Watched an old whitesnake live video from 1987 and he does the same thing. At least he's consistent.

Love those big shells. They may sound OK, but I hate the visual aesthetic of small kits in hard rock and metal. But when you are overlaying or using triggers outright, who needs a big kit I guess 😔

I saw him playing with Ted Nugent, opening for Kiss, back in high school, he was the star of that show.

I saw Tommy with Whitesnake back in 86 or so ........ they opened for Crue on the Girls Girls Girls Tour .....

The tour with the new line up (featuring Tommy Aldridge) started on 20 June 1987.
And "Girls, Girls, Girls" was released in May of 1987.
So definitely not 1986.

Sorry buddy, that “or so” is just not going to cut it for nearly 40 year old memories. Just…not ……gonna…..do!

😂

Back