NFD - Old ESP Mirage Custom

• Thread starter Thread starter grimmchaos
  • Start date Start date
grimmchaos
grimmchaos
I've had this for a bit, but the frets were getting a little worn and had the Gibson school bus thing going on for a crown... so I took a chance on a recommendation from a friend to ship it off to Scott Bond at Fat Cat Guitars in Illinois for some fresh stainless Jumbos. He really did an awesome job and this feels like playing a new guitar again. Now I just have to decide if I want to keep it the same color or send it off for a graphic. These old Mirages are killer guitars.

jeGvrek.jpg

I'd say leave it. It looks appropriate for the era it came from. Sweet fiddle! (Unless the back is totally fucked, but the front looks pretty clean)

I'd say leave it. It looks appropriate for the era it came from. Sweet fiddle! (Unless the back is totally fucked, but the front looks pretty clean)
There is some buckle rash, but it's not too bad.

Sweet! And marking this for the next time I need SS jumbos installed. My local'ish guy did an incredible job on my #1 LP, but he seemed hesitant to do another LP for me the last time I sent him a message.

Killer guitar. I would keep it just as it is, it looks awesome!!

It's weird.. the color is a pearl. As I look at it on my couch, it almost looks like a watermelon, but if the light hits it just right, it barely even looks pink.

Edit - added picture from when I got it.

DOaIlbh.jpg

Last edited:
Id keep it as is. Im not a fan of graphics on HSS super strat guitars. Too many body cutouts. If it was HH I’d say send it off for graphics.

Great guitar - I’m in the hunt for a HSS Mirage (along with a bunch of other things I don’t actually need and shouldn’t be spending money on right now). Leave it as it is colour-wise - it’s cool.

My first nice guitar was a Mirage Deluxe. I saw it in a pawn shop in downtown Portland while I was working for Budweiser delivering. I shorted my route $300 which I had to pay back on my next pay period and then skipped my truck payment just so I could buy that guitar. By doing that I was eating Top Ramen and other cheap foods for about 3 months just so I could get back on top of my financial situation but it was worth it . I wish I still had it. That's a nice guitar I wouldn't change the color.

Attachments

• 20240802_151432.jpg
    20240802_151432.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
Any tonal difference with the stainless? I wear out frets. I have stainless on one guitar and love the properties of them. However, I’m not sure if I was to put stainless on my ESP for example, if it would change it’s tone.

I've had this for a bit, but the frets were getting a little worn and had the Gibson school bus thing going on for a crown... so I took a chance on a recommendation from a friend to ship it off to Scott Bond at Fat Cat Guitars in Illinois for some fresh stainless Jumbos. He really did an awesome job and this feels like playing a new guitar again. Now I just have to decide if I want to keep it the same color or send it off for a graphic. These old Mirages are killer guitars.

jeGvrek.jpg
This era of Mirage neck throughs along with the original Horizons are the best guitars ESP ever made, period. I rarely make definitive statements but on this, absolutely. Construction, tonally, neck feel...best thing they've ever done. Like a fool I sold my Mirage Custom #350 and my two Horizons, one of which was the best sounding, best playing guitar I ever owned. I even loved the old Sinclair Licensed Floyds as they were low profile, very comfortable locking trems.

Tried many times to get back into ESP after these and they just always fall flat, even spending several thousands years ago for a Horizon from the custom Shop. Couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough. Even thought about searching for these old fella's but they're insanely priced now. I bought my Pearl White Mirage in Atlanta at a place long out of business called Metro Music. Bought my two Horizons sight unseen from 48th Street by phone. My fav of those being a factory second that was getting sent back because the binding had aged prematurely, they were like it's really yellow, didn't care and it turned out to be the best sounding and playing guitar I've owned. Haunts me to this day I let it go.

Personally, I'd leave as is. She's a beauty.

Last edited:
I have two others... a blue sparkle and an aged white one. They are my favorite super strats. I probably have to sell the white one just because I have too many guitars right now and i don't grab it as much as the other two.

Any tonal difference with the stainless? I wear out frets. I have stainless on one guitar and love the properties of them. However, I’m not sure if I was to put stainless on my ESP for example, if it would change it’s tone.
I don't really notice any difference. I'm playing rock and metal with a good amount of gain though. Some folks can hear a difference though. I've had a bunch of guitars refretted over the years and I've grown to love the feel of stainless.

Nerds will say otherwise but in my experience it makes no difference in sound

Do it kimg

I don't really notice any difference. I'm playing rock and metal with a good amount of gain though. Some folks can hear a difference though. I've had a bunch of guitars refretted over the years and I've grown to love the feel of stainless.
The feel is unmatched. My ESP had amazing fretwork from the custom shop obviously. But nothing can compare to the smoothness, longevity and perfection of stainless.

Back