NGD: After 30+ years, my first tele

• Thread starter Thread starter scottosan
  • Start date Start date
Got the Fralins installed. They are great in this guitar, so much that I can’t put it down. I get it now why people say how versatile teles are. I always rolled my eyes before. i get it now

Yep, i'm in the middle of a tele renaissance, myself. The Fralins blues are one of the purest, most classic tele pickups I've played personally

I use teles for everything except metal now. I can't wait to hear your take on tele pups! My pink tele could use some tonenerds in the future, take my money!

From left to right. Highway 1 with Nocaster pickups. American Special with Original Vintage pickups. Telebration Empress with 64 pickups. It only weighs 5.5 pounds. American Special with 62 pickups.
IMG_8884.jpeg

Yep, i'm in the middle of a tele renaissance, myself. The Fralins blues are one of the purest, most classic tele pickups I've played personally

I use teles for everything except metal now. I can't wait to hear your take on tele pups! My pink tele could use some tonenerds in the future, take my money!
I’m leaning toward a higher wind A3 bridge. They do gain well. As for the neck, maybe standard wind with A2, if I can keep the high end there.

I’m leaning toward a higher wind A3 bridge. They do gain well. As for the neck, maybe standard wind with A2, if I can keep the high end there.

The gainy tele bridge sound is so round and full and fun - the transient is so big and bold that it's a balancing act with how much gain is needed

I’ve been on a big P90 kick. The Tele bridge has that same level of nastiness.

I love me some p90s - I have a hamer special that i've been rocking (as well as the teles) with my punk band

My endgame is figuring out a way to use the Dr103 kit I just built with an attenuator of some kind, so I can do a cranked hiwatt+single coil type tone for maximum sonic taking of heads

From left to right. Highway 1 with Nocaster pickups. American Special with Original Vintage pickups. Telebration Empress with 64 pickups. It only weighs 5.5 pounds. American Special with 62 pickups. View attachment 352370
Epic! 🔥
Nothing like the sight of a batch of Tele's AND a batch of old Boogie cabs.
This my vibe right here. 🤟🤟
Would like to see the full rigs w/amps!

I have sweet Squire Tele . Wouldn’t trade it for shit

A friend of mine has some really great guitars. His main squeeze is a cheap bone stock Squier Tele. That thing RIPS. It's his main recording guitar because it sounds so good.

I'm thinking of doing a traditional tele for myself. I'm torn between swamp ash and alder for the body wood though. It will have a 1 pc maple neck. I don't normally like swamp ash but it might be right for a tele and I will go on the more traditional side with pickups too. Any recommendations on swamp ash over alder or vice versa? Thanks
Hey Curt,
I've played both alder and swamp ash Tele's and both sound great. I went for a more traditional build and felt that it had to be swamp ash, but that was my preference. I don't think you could go wrong with either woods, especially if it's built up like any of your Chubtone builds. Hoping to see pics once you got it done. Cheers to you and Matt.....Eddie

If I were to build one from scratch, I think I’d do ash as well. I’m not even sure what mine is. It’s a light weight mystery wood,LoL.

I love the high gain tone from this ash CS one

Joey's a monster, he gets great tone out of that Tele. I think it has a Custom Shop Broadcaster Pickup in the bridge and a Twisted Tele in the neck. Saw a video of him showing the spec sheet of that Tele.

I love me some p90s - I have a hamer special that i've been rocking (as well as the teles) with my punk band

My endgame is figuring out a way to use the Dr103 kit I just built with an attenuator of some kind, so I can do a cranked hiwatt+single coil type tone for maximum sonic taking of heads
You need to give the Lollar J Street bridge a go. Its all out in the P90 camp but still has that Tele thing. My purple mutt has that in the bridge and a TV Jones something or other in the neck, I've played everything from straight clean > funk > Iron Maiden with it.

I'm thinking of doing a traditional tele for myself. I'm torn between swamp ash and alder for the body wood though. It will have a 1 pc maple neck. I don't normally like swamp ash but it might be right for a tele and I will go on the more traditional side with pickups too. Any recommendations on swamp ash over alder or vice versa? Thanks
Curt - I've got them in alder, swamp ash, and pine.... Pine is actually my favorite of the group

Also have a mahogany P90 wraptail mutt that should be done soon that I think will be a good one....

Last edited:
Awesome! I've been thinking of a sparkle telecaster for a long while now, haven't seen one I don't like. I've gotta re-fret a strat first, that's probably next in line.
The purple one is actually purple metal flake on purple w purple candy haha....learned a lesson there, too much purple and no pop. I’m going to re-shoot that one soon. The unfinished P90 mutt is actually root beer brown, I figured out the process on that one 😉

4C09AC48-1F63-4574-84A2-777F059E8A58.jpeg
5C3F21E3-08FF-4BB3-A1A8-B05F483AE889.jpeg

Got the Fralins installed. They are great in this guitar, so much that I can’t put it down. I get it now why people say how versatile teles are. I always rolled my eyes before. i get it now
Next up....
Fuzz pedals!!!

Back