NGD - My wife rocks!

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
JohnnyGtar
JohnnyGtar
My wife wanted me to buy this guitar because I couldn't stop looking at photos of it. She WANTS me to have gear that I love.

I'm selling some gear I don't use to pay off the credit card for this purchase. LOL

YAMAHA RGX STANDARD.

This thing kicks the living shit out of most guitars I've played, and I've played a lot of guitars. Super high quality.

I'll put this thing up against most any guitar, regardless of where that other guitar was made. These were made in their Taiwan factory.

I think it was made from '88 to '91.

Ticks almost all the boxes for me.

$549 shipped to my door in like new condition, including a great molded hard shell Yamaha case.

Before I plugged it in, I hit the open strings and yikes! This thing vibrates like crazy. VERY resonant. It's got a bright tone which I like. Sustain is really good.

Mahogany body with a THICK curly maple top, not a veneer. I looked at the trem cavity and yep, the top is made of solid curly maple.

Neck feels great. It's got a bolt on neck, which I prefer. C shape with slightly more beef. Not a fat neck, though. It has binding.

24 fret Ebony fretboard with NO fret wear.

RM PRO Floyd Rose tremolo. It works on needle bearings. This thing is a quality tremolo bridge. The 2 studs just hold the bridge on the guitar. Supposedly, a Floyd Rose will drop right in. You can set it so it won't pull up with the little wheel on the left side of the bridge.

Height adjustable locking nut.

Bridge pickup is very good. It's called the "Live GH-1". I don't know if I'll try some replacement pickups that I have here. We'll see.

Push/Push pot on the tone control for the splitting the humbucker to single coil. I'll most likely change that to series/parallel operation.

The neck and middle pickups are true single coils. They're called "Live GS-1". They sound very good as well but I hate 60 cycle hum, so they'll be replaced.
I have 2 Duncan Vintage Rails, but they're tall pickups, which means I'd have to have the pickup cavities on the body routed and I don't want to have that done so I'll likely get some DiMarzio HS-2's, HS-3's or HS-4's for it.

The black toggle switch is like the Tom Anderson "Blower switch". Set your pickup switch for the pickup or pickups you want, then when you flip the switch, it goes to full blast bridge pickup. Volume control doesn't work when the blower switch is engaged. Very handy. You can use it on the bridge pickup too: roll your volume control back for your rhythm sound and then flick the switch and there's the extra gain for solos if you want it.

Push/Push pot on the tone control for the splitting the humbucker to single coil.

These guitars are amazing. I hate to think how much an American or Japanese version would cost. It would cost big bucks for sure.

I used to have an Image Deluxe (they're called MSG Deluxe in the UK) made in the same factory. Same level of high quality! I miss that guitar.

I highly recommend checking out Yamaha guitars and basses. A lot of their amps are killers, too!

Yamaha RGX Standared in molded case.jpg

Yamaha-RGX-Standard-9.jpg
Yamaha-RGX-Standard-7.jpg
Yamaha RGX Standard 6.jpg

Yamaha-RGX-Standard-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reported.

😛

My girl at this point threatens to leave if I buy more gear and so it has to be very top secret. Buying gear is like playing Siphon Filter now.
🥷
Siphon Filter, lmao. I remember when that game came out...you can taze people off roofs in the first level

How's the condition of the trem? I've been told parts for those are nearly impossible to find but dope to know a Floyd will drop right in

so, are you getting this guitar? did you buy it?

I'm getting all my toys while still working; it's why I have a few new gear posts here over the last couple years.

I buy what I want, when I want.

I am divorced. :D

but this is true, I bought what I wanted when I wanted even when I was married. One of the better stories, I told my future ex-wife that I wanted to buy a Lotus Esprit. I told her that for a few years, she never paid much attention. Then one day she got home from work, put her car in the garage and noticed a Lotus Esprit in my garage space. She stormed into the house and asked me what was that in the garage. I said, it's a Lotus Esprit. She just looked at me, very angry. I said, what? I told you for years I was going to buy a Lotus Esprit; today was the day. That was it.

CIMG0010.JPG

I'm getting all my toys while still working; it's why I have a few new gear posts here over the last couple years.

but this is true, I bought what I wanted when I wanted even when I was married. One of the better stories, I told my future ex-wife that I wanted to buy a Lotus Esprit. I told her that for a few years, she never paid much attention. Then one day she got home from work, put her car in the garage and noticed a Lotus Esprit in my garage space. She stormed into the house and asked me what was that in the garage. I said, it's a Lotus Esprit. She just looked at me, very angry. I said, what? I told you for years I was going to buy a Lotus Esprit; today was the day. That was it.

View attachment 347087
Based Kimg

Based Kimg
well I did mention I'm divorced; though divorce was another 10 or so years after getting the Lotus;, sold before the divorce. I also had 1-2 motorcycles during most of our marriage, cruiser and sport bike.

View attachment 347087
I like your style!

Reactions: rsm
My wife wanted me to buy this guitar because I couldn't stop looking at photos of it. She WANTS me to have gear that I love.

I'm selling some gear I don't use to pay off the credit card for this purchase. LOL

YAMAHA RGX STANDARD.

This thing kicks the living shit out of most guitars I've played, and I've played a lot of guitars. Super high quality.

I'll put this thing up against most any guitar, regardless of where that other guitar was made. These were made in their Taiwan factory.

I think it was made from '88 to '91.

Ticks almost all the boxes for me.

$549 shipped to my door in like new condition, including a great molded hard shell Yamaha case.

Before I plugged it in, I hit the open strings and yikes! This thing vibrates like crazy. VERY resonant. It's got a bright tone which I like. Sustain is really good.

Mahogany body with a THICK curly maple top, not a veneer. I looked at the trem cavity and yep, the top is made of solid curly maple.

Neck feels great. It's got a bolt on neck, which I prefer. C shape with slightly more beef. Not a fat neck, though. It has binding.

24 fret Ebony fretboard with NO fret wear.

RM PRO Floyd Rose tremolo. It works on needle bearings. This thing is a quality tremolo bridge. The 2 studs just hold the bridge on the guitar. Supposedly, a Floyd Rose will drop right in. You can set it so it won't pull up with the little wheel on the left side of the bridge.

Height adjustable locking nut.

Bridge pickup is very good. It's called the "Live GH-1". I don't know if I'll try some replacement pickups that I have here. We'll see.

Push/Push pot on the tone control for the splitting the humbucker to single coil. I'll most likely change that to series/parallel operation.

The neck and middle pickups are true single coils. They're called "Live GS-1". They sound very good as well but I hate 60 cycle hum, so they'll be replaced.
I have 2 Duncan Vintage Rails, but they're tall pickups, which means I'd have to have the pickup cavities on the body routed and I don't want to have that done so I'll likely get some DiMarzio HS-2's, HS-3's or HS-4's for it.

The black toggle switch is like the Tom Anderson "Blower switch". Set your pickup switch for the pickup or pickups you want, then when you flip the switch, it goes to full blast bridge pickup. Volume control doesn't work when the blower switch is engaged. Very handy. You can use it on the bridge pickup too: roll your volume control back for your rhythm sound and then flick the switch and there's the extra gain for solos if you want it.

Push/Push pot on the tone control for the splitting the humbucker to single coil.

These guitars are amazing. I hate to think how much an American or Japanese version would cost. It would cost big bucks for sure.

I used to have an Image Deluxe (they're called MSG Deluxe in the UK) made in the same factory. Same level of high quality! I miss that guitar.

I highly recommend checking out Yamaha guitars and basses. A lot of their amps are killers, too!

View attachment 346688
View attachment 346736View attachment 346745View attachment 346748
View attachment 346751
Congrats Johnny! Is that top dished out as heavily as it appears in the pics? Loving that curvy top, the finish, and that ebony board. Enjoy it in good health brother! Blessings! ☦️

I told my future ex-wife that I wanted to buy a Lotus Esprit. I told her that for a few years, she never paid much attention. Then one day she got home from work, put her car in the garage and noticed a Lotus Esprit in my garage space. She stormed into the house and asked me what was that in the garage. I said, it's a Lotus Esprit. She just looked at me, very angry. I said, what? I told you for years I was going to buy a Lotus Esprit; today was the day. That was it.
The only way my wife would be mad about this situation is if I wouldn't take her for a ride and let her drive me around in it now and again. Heck I like to watch her drive anyways and taught her how to drive a stick. Sweet ride rsm.

Back