NGD USA Charvel San Dimas Wild Card 1

• Thread starter Thread starter ultimatemetalguitartones
  • Start date Start date
ultimatemetalguitartones
ultimatemetalguitartones
I've always had a soft spot for all Charvel guitars - old Japanese ones to the most modern Mexican ones - but I've never played or had a USA made one, so the moment I saw this beauty I knew it had to be mine! Ladies and gentlemen, go find ur 80s spandex and get ready to rock! Here's my new love! The condition is amazing, almost a case queen if there wasn't a small ding on the one side of the body. It plays like butter and the neck is to die for! The only thing that I don't dig is that damn SD JB! Never been a fan of this model for the style of music I play but yeah I get it, it's a classic pup. Anyway, please give me some advice on passive HB bridge pups. I am into tight chugs - 80s 90s hard roc to death - thrash!
Untitled.jpeg
6d.jpeg

3.jpeg

Congrats! Was that listed for sale on Reverb? I was watching one just like it.

For pickup recommendations, are you wanting to stick with the SD brand...or something different all together? I put an "Alternative 8" in one of my Charvel Model 6's and it sounds killer. Or...you can go the other direction and do something a little less hot like a '59 or Screamin' Demon.

Congrats! Was that listed for sale on Reverb? I was watching one just like it.

For pickup recommendations, are you wanting to stick with the SD brand...or something different all together? I put an "Alternative 8" in one of my Charvel Model 6's and it sounds killer. Or...you can go the other direction and do something a little less hot like a '59 or Screamin' Demon.
Thx bro! No, it wasn't (lucky me - lol) I was fortunate enough to find it on a local French site. No, I don't really mind the brand - yeah I've heard great things about the Alternative 8

I've always had a soft spot for all Charvel guitars - old Japanese ones to the most modern Mexican ones - but I've never played or had a USA made one, so the moment I saw this beauty I knew it had to be mine! Ladies and gentlemen, go find ur 80s spandex and get ready to rock! Here's my new love! The condition is amazing, almost a case queen if there wasn't a small ding on the one side of the body. It plays like butter and the neck is to die for! The only thing that I don't dig is that damn SD JB! Never been a fan of this model for the style of music I play but yeah I get it, it's a classic pup. Anyway, please give me some advice on passive HB bridge pups. I am into tight chugs - 80s 90s hard roc to death - thrash! View attachment 341531View attachment 341537
View attachment 341534
Congrats! You have now graduated to the best kept secret in awesomeness. Haha ok maybe not, since you've had a few cool 80s Jacksons now but these USAs from 2008-9, are killer and a few that I've had are as good or even better than custom shops I've owned. They are on par with the original 82-85 Charvels. The necks on these are copied from a particular profile from a 1982 Pre pro. My absolute fav neck profile.
For passive pups I like a Duncan Custom, or even better any number of Tone Nerd pups like a Whiskey, Roxy, Sunset Strip or a Psyches which is a very close to identical version of a Shaw era Dirty Fingers...of which I have 2.
Great great guitars; I've been through 25 or so and still have 1, an 09 Candy Plum.

Congrats. I've never played one of the USA's from then, but have been tempted before. I have an '84 Charvel, and then a couple of parts'o'casters with the same period Charvel necks that have been my primary instruments for a long time.

I really like the Seymour Duncan Custom for something about the same output as the JB, but a bit more even tonally. It'd match with neck for appearance if you're happy with the neck. (I like the Custom bridge + Jazz neck, but the '59 neck is great too.)

Switching to Dimarzio, the classic, old school Super Distortion still just works for anything and everything heavy. I use Anderson H-3's in a bunch of guitars too.

Congrats! You have now graduated to the best kept secret in awesomeness. Haha ok maybe not, since you've had a few cool 80s Jacksons now but these USAs from 2008-9, are killer and a few that I've had are as good or even better than custom shops I've owned. They are on par with the original 82-85 Charvels. The necks on these are copied from a particular profile from a 1982 Pre pro. My absolute fav neck profile.
For passive pups I like a Duncan Custom, or even better any number of Tone Nerd pups like a Whiskey, Roxy, Sunset Strip or a Psyches which is a very close to identical version of a Shaw era Dirty Fingers...of which I have 2.
Great great guitars; I've been through 25 or so and still have 1, an 09 Candy Plum.
Thanks bro! Actually, I'd been digging a lot before I got this and I came across some old posts where you were saying how much you love those models! The neck +fretboard combination is phenomenal! Yeah the Duncan Custom is a classic I think!

Congrats. I've never played one of the USA's from then, but have been tempted before. I have an '84 Charvel, and then a couple of parts'o'casters with the same period Charvel necks that have been my primary instruments for a long time.

I really like the Seymour Duncan Custom for something about the same output as the JB, but a bit more even tonally. It'd match with neck for appearance if you're happy with the neck. (I like the Custom bridge + Jazz neck, but the '59 neck is great too.)

Switching to Dimarzio, the classic, old school Super Distortion still just works for anything and everything heavy. I use Anderson H-3's in a bunch of guitars too.
Thx man! That's a great combination for sure! Strange as it might be, I've never tried the good old school Super Distortion..!

any idea what year it is? judging by that colour (and serial #) your's is from the 6th batch like mine .... my 09 wild card doesn't have all that writing on the back of the headstock

Fantastic guitars, I have a dimarzio tonezone in mine works very well. Also mighty mite 1400 or super distortion.

Back