NGD USA Charvel San Dimas Wild Card 1

• Thread starter Thread starter ultimatemetalguitartones
  • Start date Start date
ultimatemetalguitartones
ultimatemetalguitartones
I've always had a soft spot for all Charvel guitars - old Japanese ones to the most modern Mexican ones - but I've never played or had a USA made one, so the moment I saw this beauty I knew it had to be mine! Ladies and gentlemen, go find ur 80s spandex and get ready to rock! Here's my new love! The condition is amazing, almost a case queen if there wasn't a small ding on the one side of the body. It plays like butter and the neck is to die for! The only thing that I don't dig is that damn SD JB! Never been a fan of this model for the style of music I play but yeah I get it, it's a classic pup. Anyway, please give me some advice on passive HB bridge pups. I am into tight chugs - 80s 90s hard roc to death - thrash!
Untitled.jpeg
6d.jpeg

3.jpeg

Congrats! Was that listed for sale on Reverb? I was watching one just like it.

For pickup recommendations, are you wanting to stick with the SD brand...or something different all together? I put an "Alternative 8" in one of my Charvel Model 6's and it sounds killer. Or...you can go the other direction and do something a little less hot like a '59 or Screamin' Demon.

Congrats! Was that listed for sale on Reverb? I was watching one just like it.

For pickup recommendations, are you wanting to stick with the SD brand...or something different all together? I put an "Alternative 8" in one of my Charvel Model 6's and it sounds killer. Or...you can go the other direction and do something a little less hot like a '59 or Screamin' Demon.
Thx bro! No, it wasn't (lucky me - lol) I was fortunate enough to find it on a local French site. No, I don't really mind the brand - yeah I've heard great things about the Alternative 8

I've always had a soft spot for all Charvel guitars - old Japanese ones to the most modern Mexican ones - but I've never played or had a USA made one, so the moment I saw this beauty I knew it had to be mine! Ladies and gentlemen, go find ur 80s spandex and get ready to rock! Here's my new love! The condition is amazing, almost a case queen if there wasn't a small ding on the one side of the body. It plays like butter and the neck is to die for! The only thing that I don't dig is that damn SD JB! Never been a fan of this model for the style of music I play but yeah I get it, it's a classic pup. Anyway, please give me some advice on passive HB bridge pups. I am into tight chugs - 80s 90s hard roc to death - thrash! View attachment 341531View attachment 341537
View attachment 341534
Congrats! You have now graduated to the best kept secret in awesomeness. Haha ok maybe not, since you've had a few cool 80s Jacksons now but these USAs from 2008-9, are killer and a few that I've had are as good or even better than custom shops I've owned. They are on par with the original 82-85 Charvels. The necks on these are copied from a particular profile from a 1982 Pre pro. My absolute fav neck profile.
For passive pups I like a Duncan Custom, or even better any number of Tone Nerd pups like a Whiskey, Roxy, Sunset Strip or a Psyches which is a very close to identical version of a Shaw era Dirty Fingers...of which I have 2.
Great great guitars; I've been through 25 or so and still have 1, an 09 Candy Plum.

Congrats. I've never played one of the USA's from then, but have been tempted before. I have an '84 Charvel, and then a couple of parts'o'casters with the same period Charvel necks that have been my primary instruments for a long time.

I really like the Seymour Duncan Custom for something about the same output as the JB, but a bit more even tonally. It'd match with neck for appearance if you're happy with the neck. (I like the Custom bridge + Jazz neck, but the '59 neck is great too.)

Switching to Dimarzio, the classic, old school Super Distortion still just works for anything and everything heavy. I use Anderson H-3's in a bunch of guitars too.

Congrats! You have now graduated to the best kept secret in awesomeness. Haha ok maybe not, since you've had a few cool 80s Jacksons now but these USAs from 2008-9, are killer and a few that I've had are as good or even better than custom shops I've owned. They are on par with the original 82-85 Charvels. The necks on these are copied from a particular profile from a 1982 Pre pro. My absolute fav neck profile.
For passive pups I like a Duncan Custom, or even better any number of Tone Nerd pups like a Whiskey, Roxy, Sunset Strip or a Psyches which is a very close to identical version of a Shaw era Dirty Fingers...of which I have 2.
Great great guitars; I've been through 25 or so and still have 1, an 09 Candy Plum.
Thanks bro! Actually, I'd been digging a lot before I got this and I came across some old posts where you were saying how much you love those models! The neck +fretboard combination is phenomenal! Yeah the Duncan Custom is a classic I think!

Congrats. I've never played one of the USA's from then, but have been tempted before. I have an '84 Charvel, and then a couple of parts'o'casters with the same period Charvel necks that have been my primary instruments for a long time.

I really like the Seymour Duncan Custom for something about the same output as the JB, but a bit more even tonally. It'd match with neck for appearance if you're happy with the neck. (I like the Custom bridge + Jazz neck, but the '59 neck is great too.)

Switching to Dimarzio, the classic, old school Super Distortion still just works for anything and everything heavy. I use Anderson H-3's in a bunch of guitars too.
Thx man! That's a great combination for sure! Strange as it might be, I've never tried the good old school Super Distortion..!

any idea what year it is? judging by that colour (and serial #) your's is from the 6th batch like mine .... my 09 wild card doesn't have all that writing on the back of the headstock

any idea what year it is? judging by that colour (and serial #) your's is from the 6th batch like mine .... my 09 wild card doesn't have all that writing on the back of the headstock

That's a decal from the factory. I think my '10 came with it

That's a decal from the factory. I think my '10 came with it
oh ok .. I can only assume the one on mine got taken off very early. I got it in 2012 and the was/is not sign at all of one being there

Fantastic guitars, I have a dimarzio tonezone in mine works very well. Also mighty mite 1400 or super distortion.

Back