Nothing really phases me…

• Thread starter Thread starter psychodave
  • Start date Start date
psychodave
psychodave
Quite like an MXR phaser (ignore the flanger). 🤣

1727748365358.jpeg

Side question: is the bypass tone pretty dull after going through all of those?

Side question: is the bypass tone pretty dull after going through all of those?
Not at all… since I go into and out of Cornish buffer clones. Without using the buffer, they all lop off some high end, but when stacking a bunch it doesn’t sum.

I modded the 74 reissue for true bypass.

Mine's the MXR custom shop version, and it's true bypass as well.

I’m sure most would heavily disagree but the phase 100 is the GOAT IMO. So lush sounding. I still appreciate a good 4 stage though.

I’m sure most would heavily disagree but the phase 100 is the GOAT IMO. So lush sounding. I still appreciate a good 4 stage though.
Phase 100 is a sleeper. Notice how I have the phase 45 and phase 100 set. They are set to sound like a Leslie or Univibe. The phase 100 adds some texture to the sound vs the 45. Just killer sounding.

Can the 100 sound like 90 if you turn the Intensity down?

Some people want the phaser effect to be prominent but some people just want the chewy tone without much phaser effect. The old script Phase 90s had all the chewy tone without much phaser effect.

Phase 90 used to be my fav modulation. I built a clone long time ago. Gave it away when I got a Rotovibe.

I traded my Phase 90 years ago for an old Keeley modded SD-1 (which instantly became one of my fave pedals ever)

I do have an early 80's Yamaha Phaser now that also sounds dope

Can the 100 sound like 90 if you turn the Intensity down?

Some people want the phaser effect to be prominent but some people just want the chewy tone without much phaser effect. The old script Phase 90s had all the chewy tone without much phaser effect.
The 100 can sound somewhat close, but not close enough for me. Haha. The small circles with the wide arrows is the setting closest to the 90.

My original 74 has that subtle phasing that is super smooth. The block letter phase 90 is from 78 and once I removed R28, it was 98% like the 74. It is actually just ever so slightly more prominent in its sound (like one more click on a dial). Most couldn’t tell unless you had an original 74 next to it.

FWIW, I have the reissue custom shop 74 and it is good. I got it what they first came out. I’d say it is 90% like the original. It is not a smooth or sweet sounding, but is still great. I’ve always wanted to swap out the stock resistors for carbon comps to see if that makes it better, but that is a lot of work.

I had the EVH PHASE 90 for a very long time. With GC rewards cash I got the MXR custom shop hardwired '74 (battery clip only, no led). Those issues don't concern me as I use the PP2 battery clip cable, and run it in a true bypass looper pedal. I also purchased a bottom plate from Analogmam that is notched out for the battery clip cable. The '74 is a little more subtle compared to the EVH. It is also more pleasant and swirling. Great pedal.

I also have a Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser that can come very close to the '74 RI handwired. It is also more versatile.

I had the EVH PHASE 90 for a very long time. With GC rewards cash I got the MXR custom shop hardwired '74 (battery clip only, no led). Those issues don't concern me as I use the PP2 battery clip cable, and run it in a true bypass looper pedal. I also purchased a bottom plate from Analogmam that is notched out for the battery clip cable. The '74 is a little more subtle compared to the EVH. It is also more pleasant and swirling. Great pedal.

I also have a Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser that can come very close to the '74 RI handwired. It is also more versatile.
I run my custom shop 90 off a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus and use the power tap with the "sag" feature.. basically a dying battery simulator.

Allows you to control the relative harshness/softness of the phasing effect.

I usually run the pedal at 7.8V rather than 9V

Back