Nothing really phases me…

• Thread starter Thread starter psychodave
  • Start date Start date
I run my custom shop 90 off a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus and use the power tap with the "sag" feature.. basically a dying battery simulator.

Allows you to control the relative harshness/softness of the phasing effect.

I usually run the pedal at 7.8V rather than 9V
Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s I would use Duracell 8.4v mercury batteries. They made every pedal sound amazing. Since they were made of mercury, they would hold the 8.4v until they died. In my 74 phase 90’s they would last a crazy long time. I remember buying the last small case of batteries around 1990 and I thing I used the last battery around 1994ish. I wish they would still make them. Now I just use Panasonic carbon batteries in all of my pedals. I figure they were all designed around them, why not use ‘em.

Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s I would use Duracell 8.4v mercury batteries. They made every pedal sound amazing. Since they were made of mercury, they would hold the 8.4v until they died. In my 74 phase 90’s they would last a crazy long time. I remember buying the last small case of batteries around 1990 and I thing I used the last battery around 1994ish. I wish they would still make them. Now I just use Panasonic carbon batteries in all of my pedals. I figure they were all designed around them, why not use ‘em.
Yeah, the lower voltage makes the newer Phase90 sound like the OG phasers

I have a 45 clone. The 90 just feels like home. My 100 needs repairs. If you ask me it doesn't sound like either of the other two.

I need to get an MXR again- have been using a Whirlwind for a long time and it's not quite subtle enough for me

I run my custom shop 90 off a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus and use the power tap with the "sag" feature.. basically a dying battery simulator.

Allows you to control the relative harshness/softness of the phasing effect.

I usually run the pedal at 7.8V rather than 9V
I would loved to have tried that trick with the EVH PHASE 90.

Last edited:
OP forgot the original phaser
9yLCGme.jpeg

Love MXR Phase 90's.

Back in the day, as big as the Phase 90 was (was on a million records) the Maestro PS-1A was everywhere as well (circa '75)
Pisses me off nobody's really cloned it well. I had one or two clones of it years ago, not sure if they're available now.

1727897646986.jpeg

Back