NSD

Smash

Hack
Got two of my redbacks in today. Gonna wait for the other two before i install them in the cab, but i cant wait. Been having to play acoustic for a cpl weeks.
Anyone want to tell me what these sound like before break in and/or how long i must punish them to get them broke in
1000002093.jpg

They like volume.

Sound better with volume. They get more bold and the muffled artifacts start dissolving when they are moving air. Thick low mids. Not too harsh up top but there's still some precense. Can generally use more Treble than you can through a vintage 30 before it sounds useless.

They like volume.

Sound better with volume. They get more bold and the muffled artifacts start dissolving when they are moving air. Thick low mids. Not too harsh up top but there's still some precense. Can generally use more Treble than you can through a vintage 30 before it sounds useless.
I only play with volume on tube amps. I loved the ones in Matt's cab so much, I had to buy my own. They really sing with my amp. I am coming off of g12 H 30s which I loved also, but these match the amp better.

I heard that they were celestion copying a EV. Don't know the truth of that yet

I only play with volume on tube amps. I loved the ones in Matt's cab so much, I had to buy my own. They really sing with my amp. I am coming off of g12 H 30s which I loved also, but these match the amp better.

I heard that they were celestion copying a EV. Don't know the truth of that yet

I'm not hearing the EV reference. Sounds like someone just heard 150 watts and looked at it and made that up.. it's a celestion and it absolutely has the celestion coloration on the tone. If anything I'd say they were a better sounding alnico cream with better bass and less chainsaw under gain.

An EV will hold the lowest notes better by design and not color like a celestion always will. I don't think celestion based this on an EV at all.

To me... It's like a 150 watt vintage 30 with much more capable bass and without any upper mid spikes. It sounds absolutely nothing like my greenbacks. Which I think some assume due to names it's a higher power greenback. Its really it's own thing. It's a celestion swamp thang, only more musical and less boxy than a swamp.

Pair well with f70 fane and veteran 30. I like redbacks on top because I can use treble without my ears falling off.

Oh yeah they pair with classic lead 80 well and that combo was my favorite with mesa mark and triple crown. Redbacks always on top.

I'm not hearing the EV reference. Sounds like someone just heard 150 watts and looked at it and made that up.. it's a celestion and it absolutely has the celestion coloration on the tone. If anything I'd say they were a better sounding alnico cream with better bass and less chainsaw under gain.

An EV will hold the lowest notes better by design and not color like a celestion always will. I don't think celestion based this on an EV at all.

To me... It's like a 150 watt vintage 30 with much more capable bass and without any upper mid spikes. It sounds absolutely nothing like my greenbacks. Which I think some assume due to names it's a higher power greenback. Its really it's own thing. It's a celestion swamp thang, only more musical and less boxy than a swamp.

Pair well with f70 fane and veteran 30. I like redbacks on top because I can use treble without my ears falling off.
Yeah fane f 70s real good also

I really like them, especially for a more recent made speaker. They have really pleasant chewy quality going on in the low mids. They can be dark and loose with some amps, but most of mine work well with them. I haven’t tried a full quad of them, but I find they pair especially well with brighter speakers, the best I’ve tried being the JBL D120F’s and E120’s. One of the best speaker mixes I’ve tried so far

the best I’ve tried being the JBL D120F’s and E120’s. One of the best speaker mixes I’ve tried so far
I really need to try this combo. I finally got a pair of D120’s earlier this year and paired the with a set of English GB’s installed in a JCM800 cab for the VH sound and it’s a lot of fun but I feel like there are much better combos out there.

I really need to try this combo. I finally got a pair of D120’s earlier this year and paired the with a set of English GB’s installed in a JCM800 cab for the VH sound and it’s a lot of fun but I feel like there are much better combos out there.
Are they the grey or orange frame versions? Original cones? And which version GB's? 25 or 20 watts? I haven't tried them with GB 25's (don't like them as much), but I could see that being a cool combo too. I thought it was a killer combo with my heritage 20w GB's (wish I could pair my '60's GB 20's, but they're all 15 ohms). I'm not a VH guy, but I know he used 20's with his JBL's (smart man in that regard). Redbacks mixed with them so far though has been my favorite and most balanced combo with JBL's. Full quads of D120F's, K120's and E120 also sound epic and in some ways those whole quads can sound more cohesive to me, but they're all quite scooped vs having some Celestion in there

Amp makers that demanded wire transfer payment (balance due, not the initial deposit) to their Step-Daughter's German bank account in order to evade the financial authorities: Larry Grohmann of Larry amplification. Amp makers that then sabotaged that very same product with circuit destroying epoxy resin: Larry Grohmann of Larry amplification.
What this bitter and frustrated grandpa in his signature says happened once and was 13 years ago, it was in 2011 and had a different reason than he claims.

The partially epoxy covering did not damage the circuit, but rather actually had a protective function for the components and is comparable to how H. A. Dumble completely covered his circuits with goop.

The reason for this at that time was so that his then best friend Mike Fortin, near whom this grandpa lives, would not again drill his curious eyes into my then very current circuit of my preamp and not copy another Larry circuit and then use it as his own development presented, just as Mike Fortin had done several times before.

But with such old, bitter and frustrated grandpas, such bitterness eems to be so deep and fixed in the brain that they can only be eleased from it by the impending grave?

What this bitter grandpa

The reason for this at that time was so that his then best friend Mike Fortin, near whom this grandpa lives, would not again drill his curious eyes into my then very current circuit of my preamp and not copy another Larry circuit and then use it as his own development presented, just as Mike Fortin had done several times before.

But with such old, bitter and frustrated grandpa

So you're saying fortin ripped off Larry designs? And then sold them as his own?

🤔

So you're saying fortin ripped off Larry designs? And then sold them as his own?

🤔
Well when you date enough young women it's not really that surprising that a youthful, possibly less ethical person, would steal from you, even stealing your circuit design to make some money off of it. How do Ms. Fortin's amps sound compared to a Larry is the real question I think I should be asking here.

What this bitter and frustrated grandpa in his signature says happened once and was 13 years ago, it was in 2011 and had a different reason than he claims.

The partially epoxy covering did not damage the circuit, but rather actually had a protective function for the components and is comparable to how H. A. Dumble completely covered his circuits with goop.

But with such old, bitter and frustrated grandpas, such bitterness eems to be so deep and fixed in the brain that they can only be eleased from it by the impending grave?
+5 strength to Larry for revenge stalking @thegame I am honestly sick of the back and forth altogether, but this is amusing

Back