NSD

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
Sparring with Larry is a lot like eating at McDonalds. It's bad for you but I'm lovin' it
Psychologically understandable and explainable - unfortunately difficult to cure:

Frustrated, bitter people who no one wants to visit anymore, who have no hobbies and therefore suffer from nagging boredom, look for a target (virtual, not in real life, because they are cowards who hide behind their computer monitors) to target then try to shoot away all their frustration and aggression.

It doesn't help, it doesn't improve their mental health - but they don't want to believe that 🤷‍♂️

For such people, only the grave brings final salvation.

R.I.P. in advance 🙏

That's crazy this whole time I thought Larry was some mid gain grandpa amp. When I had a Satan 120 and was asking dipshit fortin why it blew a transformer and confirming that's what it probably was after some testing, I tried to run it by him since he "designed" it. And I remember when I asked about amps like Larry & Peters and he said Larry's were aimed at low gain grandpa players and didn't know much about peters. And refused to help confirm the issue on the satan, but that's what it was.

I knew he ripped some stuff but didn't know Larry had anything to do with it... wowwww🦧

I knew he ripped some stuff but didn't know Larry had anything to do with it... wowwww🦧
I wish Mike so much luck in the rest of his life that he doesn't meet me in real life at some point and there happen to be no witnesses around, because afterward he can sing in the children's choir :sneaky:

Are they the grey or orange frame versions? Original cones? And which version GB's? 25 or 20 watts? I haven't tried them with GB 25's (don't like them as much), but I could see that being a cool combo too. I thought it was a killer combo with my heritage 20w GB's (wish I could pair my '60's GB 20's, but they're all 15 ohms). I'm not a VH guy, but I know he used 20's with his JBL's (smart man in that regard). Redbacks mixed with them so far though has been my favorite and most balanced combo with JBL's. Full quads of D120F's, K120's and E120 also sound epic and in some ways those whole quads can sound more cohesive to me, but they're all quite scooped vs having some Celestion in there
My D120’s have the orange painted basket. 1 original cone, 1 reconed. The reconed sounds a good bit brighter than the OG but the inherent character/voicing is there so I’m guessing it was a good or acceptable recone job. Also the non-painted basket versions seem to command as much money as the orange painted ones and from what I’ve read, they are both exactly the same as the JBL factory supposedly ran out of paint at that time. Who knows if that’s accurate. Do you have experience with both versions?

My GB’s I have them paired with are 25w. I’m happy with them and they are less harsh than the Chinese ones I used to own. I had some EVH branded 20w as well that I thought sounded great until I played out of my friends vintage mid 70’s Marshall 4x12 loaded w/ 20w and it wasn’t even close. The 20 watters just sang so beautifully. Had that vintage tone most of us here love. I’ve been on a half assed hunt for a pair of my own ever since. They are so hard to find for a fair price but it’s what the market bears unfortunately.

My D120’s have the orange painted basket. 1 original cone, 1 reconed. The reconed sounds a good bit brighter than the OG but the inherent character/voicing is there so I’m guessing it was a good or acceptable recone job. Also the non-painted basket versions seem to command as much money as the orange painted ones and from what I’ve read, they are both exactly the same as the JBL factory supposedly ran out of paint at that time. Who knows if that’s accurate. Do you have experience with both versions?

My GB’s I have them paired with are 25w. I’m happy with them and they are less harsh than the Chinese ones I used to own. I had some EVH branded 20w as well that I thought sounded great until I played out of my friends vintage mid 70’s Marshall 4x12 loaded w/ 20w and it wasn’t even close. The 20 watters just sang so beautifully. Had that vintage tone most of us here love. I’ve been on a half assed hunt for a pair of my own ever since. They are so hard to find for a fair price but it’s what the market bears unfortunately.
Yes, I have one grey D120, and five orange ones, all with original cones. Maybe not a big enough sample size to say for sure, but my grey one sounds a bit more bluesy, less hard and the orange ones sound a bit more aggressive/hard edged/metal to me, but they overall are very similar. They’re pretty bright speakers, so that’s interesting the re-cone is even brighter

Yeah those original 20w’s are some of my all time favorites, but I’d guess the cab itself also played a part there. The heritage reissue 20’s I’ve had aren’t on the same level, but as far as non-vintage speakers go they’re for me one of the better options and still imo were great mixed with my JBL’s, but it just makes want the ‘60’s 20’s in 8 ohms that much more to get even better lol. I guess though sadly it might be cheaper and more attainable for me to just find 16ohm JBL’s to pair with my ‘60’s 15Ohm 20’s

Yes, I have one grey D120, and five orange ones, all with original cones. Maybe not a big enough sample size to say for sure, but my grey one sounds a bit more bluesy, less hard and the orange ones sound a bit more aggressive/hard edged/metal to me, but they overall are very similar. They’re pretty bright speakers, so that’s interesting the re-cone is even brighter
I have two orange and black D120's, had a Grey D-120, have a K-120 in an amp now that I paired with an EV force 12. I more or less found all the JBL's same (all mine were reconed, except the K, many times actually haha). I like the K-120 for the extra power handling. I thew the D's in a box because they don't last more than half a year for me before one of them pops off. I still think they are the most amazing speaker, the notes just fly out of them. So touch sensitive. And loud. I really wanted another K but they are running around $500 or more the last time I saw one worth buying.

Frustrated, bitter people who no one wants to visit anymore, who have no hobbies and therefore suffer from nagging boredom, look for a target (virtual, not in real life, because they are cowards who hide behind their computer monitors) to target then try to shoot away all their frustration and aggression.
Haters gonna hate, Larry.

:cool:

Something is happening

Attachments

• PXL_20240626_192601046.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240626_192601046.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 22
1000002105.jpg

And in honor of Larry being in this thread, I tried to recreate his picture. But i couldnt find a cigarette and the goddamn hundies are covering up my backplate

I have two orange and black D120's, had a Grey D-120, have a K-120 in an amp now that I paired with an EV force 12. I more or less found all the JBL's same (all mine were reconed, except the K, many times actually haha). I like the K-120 for the extra power handling. I thew the D's in a box because they don't last more than half a year for me before one of them pops off. I still think they are the most amazing speaker, the notes just fly out of them. So touch sensitive. And loud. I really wanted another K but they are running around $500 or more the last time I saw one worth buying.
In that context they could be pretty similar, but I compared them individually and found their differences that for me were also still apparent when compared as full quads in the same cabinet. The D’s are definitely more lively and imo tonally nuances than the K’s, but the K’s at enough volume get some nice low mid presence I find vs the D’s and E’s. I love all the JBL’s, but find the K’s a little bit distant sounding vs the D & E’s. The E’s are my 2nd favorite JBL and handle the most power at 300w supposedly. They’re monsters and can be amazing

Well. These things do not sound great, tbh. Really grating. Hopefully they break in and sound like @RedB4Black 's. Maybe it is that I lifted it off the floor. lol. I will keep the h30s in the meantime just in case.
How are they wired? Looks like kind of like 32 Ohm from the pic if they're all 16ohm? Am I tripping?

How are they wired? Looks like kind of like 32 Ohm from the pic if they're all 16ohm? Am I tripping?
I see what you're saying. I'm guessing they're in series/parallel though. Speakers on the bottom would be connected the same as the ones up top, and then the input jack would be hooked up to the + of the bottom left speaker and the - of the bottom right speaker.

Well. These things do not sound great, tbh. Really grating. Hopefully they break in and sound like @RedB4Black 's. Maybe it is that I lifted it off the floor. lol. I will keep the h30s in the meantime just in case.
That’s strange. They should be the opposite of grating. If anything some guys complain that they sound too dark or smooth

That’s strange. They should be the opposite of grating. If anything some guys complain that they sound too dark or smooth
I have played them before and didnt find them that way. I am hoping it is breakin, but i will move the cab around and mess with the amp's eq a bit more. They definitely.have bass, just seem presence heavy

I made a clip real quick when I put the speakers in. Now don't judge my playing...I didn't warm up, was distracted, and even forgot how to play a song that I am fucking writing. I don't need anyone to pile on to how bad I already feel; lol.

But this gives an idea of what I need to do with eq. Need way more balance

Back