Ok, i'm a "Theory Instructor" now....

• Thread starter Thread starter Stratboy151
  • Start date Start date
i wanna learn how Yngwie strings his guitars (or whoever does this) so the guitar is still in tune after he uses his tremolo.

:study:

stanbog":70fb6 said:
i wanna learn how Yngwie strings his guitars (or whoever does this) so the guitar is still in tune after he uses his tremolo.

:study:

haha. i dont know how his bridge is setup, but typically most strat trems obviously arent as free floating as a floyd. so there isnt all that much to go wrong i suppose.

Just cruise the threads and help answer are n00b questions :)

yeah, he's got a vintage trem and it's definitely not floating. however i always have tuning problems after using the trem on my strat. i think my nut is causing the problem....

stanbog":ff2e1 said:
yeah, he's got a vintage trem and it's definitely not floating. however i always have tuning problems after using the trem on my strat. i think my nut is causing the problem....

it certainly could. make sure you are putting the strings on properly as well, that plays a major role. as far as the nut, look into the graphite solutions, either a whole new nut, or just lubing it with graphite. or....

just get a floyd :lol:

Lemme know if you have time to help out. I'll throw you back on the moderator list.

MitchSchaft":57bd9 said:
Lemme know if you have time to help out. I'll throw you back on the moderator list.

I'm here anyways, might as well try to contribute. :hump:

I'm not theory ninja, but I think Yngwie uses this method for stringing up his guitars..

http://www.bryankimsey.com/stringing/

Yngwie's bridge IS floating and it DOES go out of tune. He compensates pressure on the strings though to make it sound in tune.

Code001":a01a6 said:
Yngwie's bridge IS floating and it DOES go out of tune. He compensates pressure on the strings though to make it sound in tune.

yes but when we say float, i picture a floyd style bridge. a strat bridge thats "floating" basically means its just not resting on the body.

Stratboy151":b5c05 said:
not resting on the body.

That's floating to me. :) BTW, he uses brass nuts because he doesn't like to always have to change nuts. They last a lot longer he said.

Huge frets + scallops for the feel/vibrato
Stacked singlecoil pickups for the single coil sound without the hum
Vintage tremolo and CBS headstock for the vintage-ness (fuck, ask him. This part is weird. He likes the bigger headstocks because he saw Hendrix play 'em and to him, those are originals)
Extra-light top/heavy bottom strings
1.5mm signature picks
Extremely high action and high pickup height

Wanna know anything else? :mrgreen:

He likes to wear green socks in the studio too. :\m/:

He actually has a strat w/ a floyd but doesn't really use it because it's not vintage and doesn't have the same tone. :roll: This is the same guy who said he couldn't hear a difference between maple/rosewood fretboards and alder/basswood bodies. He also has a 24 fret strat that he doesn't really use because of lack of upper fret access which makes sense.

Code001":b831e said:
He actually has a strat w/ a floyd but doesn't really use it because it's not vintage and doesn't have the same tone. :roll: This is the same guy who said he couldn't hear a difference between maple/rosewood fretboards and alder/basswood bodies. He also has a 24 fret strat that he doesn't really use because of lack of upper fret access which makes sense.

but how big is his hog??

Back