OT: Suggest a good Online MACINTOSH FPS!

• Thread starter Thread starter CaseyCor
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Variable":fb868 said:
>|<>QBB<

Well, I meant that Doom 3 was graphically far beyond anything else that was out at the time.

I thought that Prey on Windows was based on the Doom 3 engine? Are you saying they ported that engine over to DX9?
Yes, Doom 3 ran like ass on my 9800XT. Prey ran maxed out, looked better and performed better. They didn't modify the engine. I nose around in game mods and how that stuff is modularized, they just needed to write shaders in HLSL instead of OGSL and rewrite the renderer for DX9.

About M$' APIs. The thing that makes any programming harder to be cross-platform is because of how they thread and intertwine the APIs into the operating system as a whole, so they are forced to program on one library of functions which makes a lot of sense when you think about how games are poorly ported from one platform to another. A good example of this is Capcom with their PC ports. It's direct code from the PS2 just slightly modified to run as a Win32 binary and the renderer to output in DirectX9 even though it is software rasterizing.

>|<>QBB<
CoachZ":6d3aa said:
>|<>QBB<
Yes, Doom 3 ran like ass on my 9800XT. Prey ran maxed out, looked better and performed better. They didn't modify the engine. I nose around in game mods and how that stuff is modularized, they just needed to write shaders in HLSL instead of OGSL and rewrite the renderer for DX9.

About M$' APIs. The thing that makes any programming harder to be cross-platform is because of how they thread and intertwine the APIs into the operating system as a whole, so they are forced to program on one library of functions which makes a lot of sense when you think about how games are poorly ported from one platform to another. A good example of this is Capcom with their PC ports. It's direct code from the PS2 just slightly modified to run as a Win32 binary and the renderer to output in DirectX9 even though it is software rasterizing.

I actually managed to get Doom3 to run decent on my 9800Pro when it first came out. Of course some of the heavy battle sequences would slide-show on me, but overall it was pretty smooth. Of course I can't compare with Prey since I'm running that on an X1800XT.

That's the thing I always loved about ID games, though; the fact that they give you all this documentation to mod the game engine into something really cool.

I didn't realize it was that easy to port a PS2 game to Win32; I always heard about how much of a nightmare the PS2 was to code for...

>|<>QBB<
Variable":37b93 said:
>|<>QBB<

I actually managed to get Doom3 to run decent on my 9800Pro when it first came out. Of course some of the heavy battle sequences would slide-show on me, but overall it was pretty smooth. Of course I can't compare with Prey since I'm running that on an X1800XT.

That's the thing I always loved about ID games, though; the fact that they give you all this documentation to mod the game engine into something really cool.

I didn't realize it was that easy to port a PS2 game to Win32; I always heard about how much of a nightmare the PS2 was to code for...
The ports were sloppy as hell which in return made the games run horribly. I was playing Devil May Cry 3 at a friend's, to exit the game he needed to kill the process. That's how bad they are. Another primo example was Deus Ex 2, the game was originally made for the Xbox and even though they had it on PC, it was the same code pretty much but since they didn't bother to optimize it. It ran like ass and is known for how poor it performed. My PC rig is pretty much along the lines of this, 2.8GHZ Northwood P4, 9800XT, 1GB of RAM, 40GB HD for OS, 2x 160GB for everything else [Games, audio, video, document storage]. I need to upgrade right along with a new guitar. :cry:

Doom 3 ran awesome on my iMac G5 when I used to play it. LMS was a bit slower, concidering it was co-op and there werew a lot of people in one server at a time.

If anyone here plays OpenArena and wants to play a round, holla at me!

>|<>QBB<
CoachZ":5f23f said:
>|<>QBB<
The ports were sloppy as hell which in return made the games run horribly. I was playing Devil May Cry 3 at a friend's, to exit the game he needed to kill the process. That's how bad they are. Another primo example was Deus Ex 2, the game was originally made for the Xbox and even though they had it on PC, it was the same code pretty much but since they didn't bother to optimize it. It ran like ass and is known for how poor it performed. My PC rig is pretty much along the lines of this, 2.8GHZ Northwood P4, 9800XT, 1GB of RAM, 40GB HD for OS, 2x 160GB for everything else [Games, audio, video, document storage]. I need to upgrade right along with a new guitar. :cry:

Well, be glad you waited :D I got caught by the upgrade monster last year and I'm kicking myself for moving to Socket 939 a couple months before the Core 2 Duos came out. Of course, then, I didn't realize they were going to kick so much ass for so little money; I guess I got used to Intel sucking compared to AMD. Looks like that's changed with their 65nm process, however :D

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":2cc9f said:
How is the RE4 Port for PC?
Tried it, the Gamecube one is the best to play on. There's one peticular reason, the PS2 one and the PC one have some of the lighting effects removed and the fog effects too. It's a better port than Devil May Cry 3 but stick to the consoles if you can for that game, no mouse support anyways.

I've got it on GC. I wouldn't mind playing it on PC for all the extra stuff from the PS2 version that the left out of the GC one. Is their a Mac port somewhere?

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":eca66 said:
I've got it on GC. I wouldn't mind playing it on PC for all the extra stuff from the PS2 version that the left out of the GC one. Is their a Mac port somewhere?
Your only hope of running it would be with Crossover Mac. But even then it seems most unlikely since the ports are poorly done :(

Edit: What Mac do you have, out of curiosity?

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":92580 said:
iMac G5. Got it last christmas.
Well, that sucks...I was going to suggest Boot Camp but it seems that you can't.
I would try to get the ORIGINAL Unreal Tournament for the Mac but last time I checked, there wasn't an OSX binary available for it.

I'm downloading some free shooters that look to be awesome! Nexuiz is a straight-forward fast paced shooter, and Tremulous is a FPS with RTS elements. If your a Human, you earn credits that you can spend on upgrades, and if your an alien, you evlove into stronger creaturs. Sounds fun!

I've got access to some mac games on the newsgroups.. If you have newsgroups I can send you the nzb file for them.

Hmm..never heard of newsgroups. Explain?

What games do you have?

Just a place to download stuff... not free though.

I don't have any.. just seen what was listed on the NG's.

Ah..not free=not for me, right now anyway. I'm broke, nigga 8). Thanks anyway though!

Usenet is awesome [Newsgroups], it's the old school way of getting stuff.

Back