Owning/carrying a collapsible baton is illegal in some states. WTF?

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
MadAsAHatter
MadAsAHatter
My wife and I started riding our bikes around the neighborhood for exercise, but because of our schedules we're doing it around 2am. Given the time I figured it'd be a good idea for us to carry those collapsible batons on our bikes. Not that our neighborhood isn't safe, but it's 2am and stupid shit and people can randomly happen.

So starting to look at which ones are good to get and something to secure it on the bike but in easy reach I stumbled across a forum where someone was asking basically the same thing. The first 10 responses were check your laws that's illegal in some places. I'm thinking to myself WTF, you can't carry a stick?

Sure enough I looked it up and it's illegal to carry any type of baton in a couple of states and completely illegal to own one in California. I'm happy to live in a state where I don't have to worry about that bullshit.

1685026101204.png

There are sticks all over the place in MA, why carry one with you? I remember growing up hearing that you aren’t supposed to keep a baseball bat in your vehicle unless it’s for baseball use but I doubt there is much of a way to prove anything.

Personally I like living somewhere that discourages recreational weaponry

There are sticks all over the place in MA, why carry one with you? I remember growing up hearing that you aren’t supposed to keep a baseball bat in your vehicle unless it’s for baseball use but I doubt there is much of a way to prove anything.

What’s recreational weaponry?

What’s recreational weaponry?
Non regulated I guess. There is a process to go through for a gun. There isn’t a process that I know of for a baton.
I suppose anything can become a weapon in a moment if need be, but carrying something specifically meant for protection puts it in its own class imo. Even something meant for defense can be offensive as well depending on the user

My wife and I started riding our bikes around the neighborhood for exercise, but because of our schedules we're doing it around 2am. Given the time I figured it'd be a good idea for us to carry those collapsible batons on our bikes. Not that our neighborhood isn't safe, but it's 2am and stupid shit and people can randomly happen.

So starting to look at which ones are good to get and something to secure it on the bike but in easy reach I stumbled across a forum where someone was asking basically the same thing. The first 10 responses were check your laws that's illegal in some places. I'm thinking to myself WTF, you can't carry a stick?

Sure enough I looked it up and it's illegal to carry any type of baton in a couple of states and completely illegal to own one in California. I'm happy to live in a state where I don't have to worry about that bullshit.

View attachment 209707
Mine was stolen out of my truck… never got it back. It was a cheapie from sportsman’s guide. Not a fan of them. I had my buddy make me a tomahawk out of a big fuckin wrench. So yeah I carry a tomahawk with me….you never know when you’re gonna have to go Mel Gibson on some shithead.

I've never heard that term before. Maybe it's something like lawn darts?
I didn’t want to make the thread about something it isn’t, but I would consider a lot of guns “recreational” too. For dudes that like target shooting and what not. Anything not meant for home defense could be recreational, but not in the sense of this thread

I got harassed by the cops for having a bat in my truck. There was also a glove, and a ball. I was told I was lucky they are not arresting me for having a weapon in my vehicle.

People wonder why the cops are looked down on. LOL

Mine was stolen out of my truck… never got it back. It was a cheapie from sportsman’s guide. Not a fan of them. I had my buddy make me a tomahawk out of a big fuckin wrench. So yeah I carry a tomahawk with me….you never know when you’re gonna have to go Mel Gibson on some shithead.

Now that's an idea. Not much could say "don't fuck with me" louder than pulling out a tomahawk.

Yes, why carry around an easily accessible piece of metal to defend yourself (or your spouse) if the need arises when you can frantically look for a half rotted twig on the ground?
I just think anything meant specifically to do harm to someone should be regulated as such. Not that they should be illegal, but at least somewhat monitored.

While riding a bike with a baton attached to it is far from menacing, when it comes down to it is no different than a dude walking down the street with a baton in his hand all day.

There isn’t a process that I know of for a baton.

One problem is you have certain manufacturers going all psycho with their designs.

Spring loaded with a weighted slug on the end?
pocket-spring-loaded-baton-6438921.jpg

Might as well just...
nocountry_s878x1153.jpg

I didn’t want to make the thread about something it isn’t, but I would consider a lot of guns “recreational” too. For dudes that like target shooting and what not. Anything not meant for home defense could be recreational, but not in the sense of this thread
Okay, I can see what you mean by recreational weaponry. Though I'd say it's that activity that's recreationally, not the weapon itself. Thinking of the weapon as recreational starts to negate the respect that you should show it.

I just think anything meant specifically to do harm to someone should be regulated as such. Not that they should be illegal, but at least somewhat monitored.

While riding a bike with a baton attached to it is far from menacing, when it comes down to it is no different than a dude walking down the street with a baton in his hand all day.
All of these things are tools. The whole do harm thing is the intent behind the use. Regulating out of fear doesn’t help the people that need the tools.

I don’t look at a guy carrying a knife as a threat. Now, swinging it wildly naked and chasing someone, of course that’s now a threat and there are tools to fix that.

One problem is you have certain manufacturers going all psycho with their designs.

Spring loaded with a weighted slug on the end?
pocket-spring-loaded-baton-6438921.jpg

Might as well just...
nocountry_s878x1153.jpg
Umm no my friend. Not the same. And I have used riot batons on humans before.

Back