Owning/carrying a collapsible baton is illegal in some states. WTF?

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
Here’s why I am not a fan. Pain compliance takes to long. If you’re out on your bike with your wife and someone tries to do something stupid…you’re at a disadvantage. They are either armed, or in an altered state, or they have lots of experience doing what they’re doing. You might get one or two strikes before shit gets really intense. A motivated person is going to shake it off and keep coming at you. I have experienced this firsthand. I had a shield and armor as well as a big Fuckin stick with a rib separator. Enough pain anyone becomes compliant. Question is lasting long enough to get them there.

That’s the benefit of being in a trained squad of people equipped to handle shit. The main point is intimidation….works on the street also. Look like you’re squared away they will probably leave you alone.

Pain compliance takes to long.

Sticks require distance too.
It's dark and suddenly someone's bolting at you.
A second or two of shock followed by fumbling for the stick is all it takes for the thing to be utterly useless.

EDC with a single hand open.
And practice with it!

All of these things are tools. The whole do harm thing is the intent behind the use. Regulating out of fear doesn’t help the people that need the tools.

I don’t look at a guy carrying a knife as a threat. Now, swinging it wildly naked and chasing someone, of course that’s now a threat and there are tools to fix that.
I think it boils down to intent. I’m a facility manager and I have probably a dozen tools in my truck right now I could break someone’s face with. The thought of doing that however has never crossed my mind until just now.
Compared to something like a baton which sole purpose is for defense/offense, it puts things in different light. I could do a lot of damage with my framing hammer, but it can also pull nails and put them in. A lot of things can also become a weapon, but a baton has no other purpose than to be a baton.

Again, I’m not saying this to say they should be illegal, just that they fall in to a grey area category of weapons that are not regulated (most places).

It’ll never be perfect. Half the people I know are hunters and I’m sure they are carrying their hunting knives with them even when they aren’t hunting.

Last edited:
Here’s why I am not a fan. Pain compliance takes to long. If you’re out on your bike with your wife and someone tries to do something stupid…you’re at a disadvantage. They are either armed, or in an altered state, or they have lots of experience doing what they’re doing. You might get one or two strikes before shit gets really intense. A motivated person is going to shake it off and keep coming at you. I have experienced this firsthand. I had a shield and armor as well as a big Fuckin stick with a rib separator. Enough pain anyone becomes compliant. Question is lasting long enough to get them there.
This is true, but dependent on the size and how you use the stick. Big swings are generally used by people and not overly effective against adrenaline, mental illness, etc. Short sticks put you closer to the attacker (dog/human, etc). I use an oak stick around 2.5-3 foot long. Its a little thicker than a broom handle. There is 4-5 inch choke up and the strike is not a swing its a snap of the wrist to an extremity like a hand, forearm, elbow of a human or snout of a dog. The arm is kept close to the body with the elbow tight and never extending the arm more than a slight obtuse angle. Power comes from the hips, slight elbow movement and wrist snap out and back. If you connect on the hand/wrist it usually disables the attacker instantly. If not, strike again (keeping the elbow tight and never extended). A good temple strike will take them out, but now you are intending serious harm and the legal consequences just went up. The stick also allows for joint locks to the arm.

This is likely a crime as well. You are using the ammonia for an off label purpose.

Figure if it's against an assailant coming at me at 2:00 in the morning, I'd get off with a citation and small fine.
Well worth it under those circumstances.

Figure if it's against an assailant coming at me at 2:00 in the morning, I'd get off with a citation and small fine.
Well worth it under those circumstances.
I don't disagree with you at all. Just remember, it's dark, you have a toy that looks like a gun and it's filled with a dangerous chemicals. If a cop rolls up, you are at risk for arrest.

I have the same quandary, I walk my little dogs late at night. I'm somewhat rural and its not people, but animals. Many times my dogs are oblivious to the foxes following us around. My son has a few air soft pistols and I want to carry one with me to ward off the foxes if needed. It's legal to carry, but the discharging is where the law gets gray.

I don't disagree with you at all. Just remember, it's dark, you have a toy that looks like a gun and it's filled with a dangerous chemicals. If a cop rolls up, you are at risk for arrest.

I'm actually half joking. Quick open EDC under those conditions all the way.
I'd be more worried of being shot by a cop if I was holding anything close to resembling a gun!

I walk my little dogs late at night.

Weighs less than 2 ounces. Composite handle with a Benchmade quality blade.
Super fast one handed open. Legal in all 50.

20230525_102710.jpg

It's cool too cause it takes a flick of the wrist to fully engage and it has a nice loud 'click' to it
that would grab anyone's attention.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how people that live in nice safe areas are worried about "breaking a law" carrying something, and people living in rough areas never even have that enter their mind because they are just trying to survive. Consequences dictate course of action, I suppose.

I find it interesting how people that live in nice safe areas are worried about "breaking a law" carrying something, and people living in rough areas never even have that enter their mind because they are just trying to survive. Consequences dictate course of action, I suppose.
No gun racks in trucks anymore because of crackheads. I remember high school….half the trucks had gun racks with guns in them….unlocked. Students showing teachers new rifles at lunch. Boy times have changed.

Back