Peavey 5150 / 6505 you can use up to 5 pedals. What would you use and how would you run them.

• Thread starter Thread starter MetalThrasher
  • Start date Start date
Just a Klon and Highwind Phalanx Noisegate would be enough

5 long strides sounds like it’s got enough momentum to run towards the cabinet with and kick that 5150 right off of it.

Precision Drive up front for Gate/Boost
HX Stomp in the loop for effects - Is that cheating?

BBE pre + (front), boss 10 band eq (loop), two ISP noisegates (front and loop), and my damage control timeline (loop)

A good boost, eq in the loop, good noise suppressor. I have done this dance with both 5150 and old Rectos and it works great for what I play (skate punk, melodic hardcore). Boost obviously tightens things up and adds some aggression and the suppressor obviously kills noise, but an eq in the loop is not only great for tone sculpting, but you can really tune the amp to whatever room you are playing at a gig!

5 long strides sounds like it’s got enough momentum to run towards the cabinet with and kick that 5150 right off of it.
You joke but an OG 5150 has carried the metal torch on a ton of records and live rigs for over 30 years. Before I drank the koolaid I was happy and content with my 5150II and 5150 block letter split stereo rig.

I would get the 5 largest Pedals I could find, regardless or effect. I would then tie them all together in a lump and use them at the end of a large pipe to make a giant Mace..
Then I'd employ Optimus Prime to club the stupid ass that would be dumb to try such a thing..

J.Rockett “Holdsworth” OD out front.
Boss/EVH delay in the effects loop.
Some kind of noise gate in the loop.

05093f75e2fd8895322451b1430362f6d2f158.jpg

I have Mailmans FJA 6505. I just run a gate up front and in the loop.

Ernie ball VP Tuner, Fulltone Clyde deluxe, KSR Eros up front

FTT flight time or strymon volante, isp decimate in loop

Pretty close to my current situation.

So I'm currently using a 6505+ and a Friedman head, sharing the same cab, I switch between the two based on what I'm recording.

I have a tuner, a TS9, a Suhr Koko boost, a Corona chorus and planning to maybe get a phaser in the future right in the front.

I always end up going guitar->cable->amp with the 6505+ lol

My 6505+ is my least favorite amp, but now I’m digging this 5153 so much think I’m gonna try again, haven’t played it in years now lol

My 6505+ is my least favorite amp, but now I’m digging this 5153 so much think I’m gonna try again, haven’t played it in years now lol

IMO the 5153 sounds like the 5152 with more gain and a flatter EQ

IMO the 5153 sounds like the 5152 with more gain and a flatter EQ

its always been a feel thing with the 5152 more than a tone thing, for whatever reason my picking technique or something just always makes me feel like im "fighting" the amp, i dont know if its too much sag or what the deal is but i just feel disconnected from the thing. some of the best tones ive ever heard from other people have been with them though so im kinda determined now to make it work lol

and whats up with the cameron mods for 5150's? i know ive seen schematics floating around, anyone play one or do the mods to theirs?? whats it do??

OG 5150 -
Loop>Boss EQ for Solo Boost only, Boss Dimension C for clean channel, Strymon Digital Delay.
Front of amp> MXR Phase 90, Boss Waza Tuner for obvious tuning and mute.

This was basically my setup albeit in a rack delay, GCX Loop Switching system and a bunch of racked pedals back in the day. I never used an OD, didn't need it "for me" as there was plenty of gain on tap. I only used the High Gain channel and the clean. Work the volume knob on the guitar to clean up for heavy rhythm and the EQ in the loop set flat with a volume bump for solos. This was my main rig for about 10 years in the 90's.

5 metal zones, all with the gain and level on 10, directly into the front end. No noisegate, for extra brutality/rudeness.

Korg PB Tuner
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3 in the loop
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus in the loop

Back