Price Check - Bogner 101A

• Thread starter Thread starter angelspade
  • Start date Start date
angelspade
angelspade
What is a fair price for a mid-2000's, mint condition Bogner 101A with footswitch? Don't know a lot about this amp (Early Uber was the only Bogner I've owned). Please let me know your thoughts on price, or the amp in general. Thanks.!!!

Probably 2800-3k depending on locality. I like the EL 34 model better based off a limited demo off the 6L6. Still a fantastic amp

Yeah. One sold recently on reverb and I think someone was selling on here for around that.

I wouldn’t let my 101B go for less than 2600 cash in pocket. Below that point I’d rather keep it. Someone else on the forum did the same thing. If you think you’re hold out for a deal on an older XTC pre 2004 you’ll not find one at all.

101A is a 6L6 power section. The output transformers are different. 2500 would be a good deal IMO.

The problem with XTCs is that everyone’s fighting over the newer models right now which are north of 4k. Once things calm down things will normalize again. Bogners maintain value exceptionally well - people just don’t want to spend the cash and are eying the newest releases at double the cost.

I like to call my XTC the 5150 III killer. Bigger sounding, bolder, more character, better clean channel than a 5150 III, and when boosted like an old Marshall on the blue channel I get inspired to write solos for hours.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t let my 101B go for less than 2600 cash in pocket. Below that point I’d rather keep it. Someone else on the forum did the same thing. If you think you’re hold out for a deal on an older XTC pre 2004 you’ll not find one at all.

101A is a 6L6 power section. The output transformers are different. 2500 would be a good deal IMO.

The problem with XTCs is that everyone’s fighting over the newer models right now which are north of 4k. Once things calm down things will normalize again. Bogners maintain value exceptionally well - people just don’t want to spend the cash and are eying the newest releases at double the cost.

I like to call my XTC the 5150 III killer. Bigger sounding, bolder, more character, better clean channel than a 5150 III, and when boosted like an old Marshall on the blue channel I get inspired to write solos for hours.
How does it compare to the 5150 III for more aggressive metal playing? Hold up pretty well?

How does it compare to the 5150 III for more aggressive metal playing? Hold up pretty well?
Bogners have a grease to their feel that makes them exceptionally pleasing to solo over and the notes have great body. In terms of feel, my XTC thumps hard and when boosted you get gobs more gain that retains a tight character on the blue channel which turns it into a 5150 III slayer. Historically it was designed as an either or amp where you either like blue or red. I prefer boosting blue over red by itself by a long shot. 5150iii tend to lack low to high note dynamics in my experience which is where the Bogner really differentiates itself. The XTC is just on a whole different level.

Bogners have a grease to their feel that makes them exceptionally pleasing to solo over and the notes have great body. In terms of feel, my XTC thumps hard and when boosted you get gobs more gain that retains a tight character on the blue channel which turns it into a 5150 III slayer. Historically it was designed as an either or amp where you either like blue or red. I prefer boosting blue over red by itself by a long shot. 5150iii tend to lack low to high note dynamics in my experience which is where the Bogner really differentiates itself. The XTC is just on a whole different level.
Thank you...greatly appreciated. When you use the term "boosted"...are you refering to the boodt function of the amp, or a pedal?

Thank you...greatly appreciated. When you use the term "boosted"...are you refering to the boodt function of the amp, or a pedal?

The XTC doesn’t have built-in boosts, just built-in cuts. XTC blue channel boosted with a pedal is excellent.

Doesn’t have the desirable MM iron and also doesn’t have a class A/AB switch.

My price is with the Mercury Magnetics iron and with a class A/AB switch which is really only important for studio clean tracking.
Even without the A/AB and the MM iron...at 2K seems like a pretty good deal if it is legitimate. Thoughts?

I have mid 90's Ecstacy 101b that I've have since 97.
I will never sell it.
I think they are the Swiss army knife of amps.
You just have to know how to dial them in.

Damn, ill be moving up that way in a couple months, maybe if he still has it...
It's listed here for local pickup in Los Angeles as well...either he will ship, or it's not legit. If I decide I want it, I'm going to shoot him an e-mail. I will report back.

Headlessdeadguy did a one day fire sale on one. Killer deal. Might check with him bro….
Edit…sorry if I misunderstood your question. If you’re looking for one or have one looking to sell. I’m getting a treatment and on my phone…😜

Headlessdeadguy did a one day fire sale on one. Killer deal. Might check with him bro….
Edit…sorry if I misunderstood your question. If you’re looking for one or have one looking to sell. I’m getting a treatment and on my phone…😜
Thanks...Yeah, considering picking one up.

Back