RIP My Les Paul Custom Axcess

• Thread starter Thread starter itsgoodnow
  • Start date Start date
I
itsgoodnow
Hey all,

Just wanted to vent. I dropped my guitar off with my luthier to do a stainless refret on a Les Paul Custom Axcess. I have had them do this a few times before and it has been flawless. The shop had it for a few months, which is fine, I really am not in a rush and they have serviced more immediate needs on a lot of other guitars quickly. Anyway, they were planing the neck and, apparently, put a new guy on it for the job. While they were supervising him they were, by their own admission, not doing an adequate job. The guy apparently planed off verrry incorrectly, took off some of the inlays on the neck (on the bass side) and planed into the bass side of the neck to the point that half of the black dots on the side marker are gone. Unsure how someone fucks up that bad. To their credit, they immediately took ownership of the mistake and are opening an insurance claim, but I am definitely pretty pissed.

Man, that is terrible. Glad to hear they aren't trying to be shady about it, but kind of shocking that they would let someone that inexperienced take on that job. It's just as much as the person supposed to be supervisings fault IMO. Hope everything works out from here, still sucks though if you really loved that guitar and can't find another you like as much.

Man, that is terrible. Glad to hear they aren't trying to be shady about it, but kind of shocking that they would let someone that inexperienced take on that job. It's just as much as the person supposed to be supervisings fault IMO. Hope everything works out from here, still sucks though if you really loved that guitar and can't find another you like as much.
I appreciate it man. I am definitely shocked they let someone take on a stainless job on a les paul custom if they are so clearly not able to tell something is seriously wrong on the planing. I agree it is the shops fault for allowing it to happen. Luckily it wasnt my #1 silverburst axcess (which they also did a refret on).

Aww man. That freaking sucks. But, at least they took ownership of the issue and will hopefully rectify it for you.

Best of luck my friend 🤞🏻

Man, I just had some bonehead mistakes done to my guitar at my local guy, but THIS takes the cake! Sorry to hear about that, I would be pissed off too. I think these shops get strapped for resources and start settling on who they hire to pick up the incremental work they can't handle otherwise. Glad they are making right on this, it is 100% on them.

You think they would let him do much cheaper guitars for a while, to make sure he’s got it down before tackling a LP Custom. Curious why there were planing the fretboard at all? I didn’t think a re-fret would require that.

You think they would let him do much cheaper guitars for a while, to make sure he’s got it down before tackling a LP Custom. Curious why there were planing the fretboard at all? I didn’t think a re-fret would require that.
Not sure why. I also provided pre-radiused frets. So if there was anything that needed to be done to make them line up I would imagine it would be fairly minor. As in a slight sanding vs I accidentally used a wood chipper to take out a sizable portion of an inch.

Had a similar problem albeit not as severe. I had a shop refret two of my guitars and each came back flawless each time. Told him what I wanted for a third and he rushed the guitar (not my doing, I asked he keep it as long as needed not to mess it up) only to nick the ivory binding up real bad like a hack job. He admitted to trying a new technique on an original Les Paul custom. Small detail I know and it didn’t affect appraisal as the guitar age masks it visually but it wasn’t like that before I gave it to him. I took down a good review I’d left in the past and I will never use him again.

That stinks. The “GoodNews” is it wasnt your main squeeze and not to minimize them destroying your property. I know a guy that can go and give personal instruction on plaining…. with a ball-pean hammer. Let me know.

christ that sucks ... we had a similar thing with one of our cars...took it in to get something repaired and once it was fixed they got one of the apprentices to take it for a drive to make sure it was ok, he then preceded to have a nose to tail accident ... so they ended up replacing the bonnet, radiator etc ... worked out well for us because the old bonnet had a shit ton of fading etc so we got a new bonnet for free hahaha ... help when we sold the car 6 weeks later

Last edited:
Having apprentices work on your guitar is probably more common than we like to think. I took my LP Std for a refret to a guy a local music store recommended. He runs a luthier academy in Atlanta. It was obvious he let a student do it. I took it back for them to fix the fret ends and when I got it the second time the G string was practically laying on the fret at the nut. I replaced that nut and it’s good now (pardon the pun) but I paid top dollar for a real luthier not a student.

Having apprentices work on your guitar is probably more common than we like to think. I took my LP Std for a refret to a guy a local music store recommended. He runs a luthier academy in Atlanta. It was obvious he let a student do it. I took it back for them to fix the fret ends and when I got it the second time the G string was practically laying on the fret at the nut. I replaced that nut and it’s good now (pardon the pun) but I paid top dollar for a real luthier not a student.
I’m in Atlanta, where is that so I don’t take any guitars there?

Holy moly! Not exactly a cheap guitar to mess up on. I mean, in all seriousness, put a rookie on something that is a lot cheaper. Idiots. Everyone has to learn but don't do it on a custom shop Gibson. When I was taking my courses, I was practicing on cheap throw out or discarded guitars.

Back