Scored an unusual vintage Marshall 4x12 cab

• Thread starter Thread starter ZEN Amps
  • Start date Start date
After some experimenting we went with a pair of '77 G12M 75Hz blackbacks up top and '70 G12H 75Hz greenies below. It sounds absolutely fantastic with most amps, but with our '69 Super Lead it just slays.

It reminds me of a rig we built for a local player last year. It was a Plexi clone with an open 2x12 above a closed 4x12. With this particular cab you still get most of the benefits of a closed cab but there's definitely a less directional, bigger feel to it. The extra height is cool too, it will flap your corduroy shirt along with your trousers. Almost has full stack clarity without it being directly at ear height.

Pretty sure this thing never had a horn or anything in that port - I guess it was just a design choice at the time. I can see why Lifeson went with a copy of this, very cool tones and onstage I imagine the dispersion and extra liveliness is a winner.

loaded.jpg
IMG_8402.jpg

After some experimenting we went with a pair of '77 G12M 75Hz blackbacks up top and '70 G12H 75Hz greenies below. It sounds absolutely fantastic with most amps, but with our '69 Super Lead it just slays.

It reminds me of a rig we built for a local player last year. It was a Plexi clone with an open 2x12 above a closed 4x12. With this particular cab you still get most of the benefits of a closed cab but there's definitely a less directional, bigger feel to it. The extra height is cool too, it will flap your corduroy shirt along with your trousers. Almost has full stack clarity without it being directly at ear height.

Pretty sure this thing never had a horn or anything in that port - I guess it was just a design choice at the time. I can see why Lifeson went with a copy of this, very cool tones and onstage I imagine the dispersion and extra liveliness is a winner.

View attachment 315879View attachment 315885

Very nice! ;)

That's a bass cab. And it's going to sound like flubby ass if you use it for a guitar cab.

That sounds phenomenal with that guitar! !

That sounds phenomenal with that guitar! !
Yeah that 345 into an old Marshall is pretty sweet.

That's a bass cab. And it's going to sound like flubby ass if you use it for a guitar cab.
May well have been a bass cab back in the day, but no it's not flubby at all. Guitarists have history of stealing bass gear and making it work for them. In fact I rarely see a Bassman or Super Bass being used for their intended purpose.

Definitely different and cool sounding in it's own way..........I haven't seen one of those cabs in all my years of playing so they have to be quite rare! Congrats on the cool find!

Trower must have owned them all.......................:LOL:
:2thumbsup:

Last edited:

Man this came out great!

That ain't too bad. Hard to tell without being in the room. But I will say there's always a pleasing aura when an old ragged piece of gear gets used again. Vintage is awesome.

Back