Seymour Bro we need to talk ...

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
shar-vell Dan
shar-vell Dan
51jaKvgs4DL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

First thanks for all you do in the pickup world especially the wiring schmatics as i just completely [successfully the first time] rewired an 87 HSS Charvel.
But could you maybe increase the gauge of coil wires bigger than a human hair.
Thanking you anyway - peace.

51jaKvgs4DL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

First thanks for all you do in the pickup world especially the wiring schmatics as i just completely [successfully the first time] rewired an 87 HSS Charvel.
But could you maybe increase the gauge of coil wires bigger than a human hair.
Thanking you anyway - peace.
Maybe you should get better pickups if you want thicc wires

I still haven't tried an SD that I liked after the 59, the JB, and some Seths. They all sucked next to my Gibsons. Under the coliseum bleachers, by Seymour Butts. They have harder metal pickup covers than Gibson. A lot harder. I wonder how that affects tone.

I still haven't tried an SD that I liked after the 59, the JB, and some Seths. They all sucked next to my Gibsons. Under the coliseum bleachers, by Seymour Butts. They have harder metal pickup covers than Gibson. A lot harder. I wonder how that affects tone.
Seymour Butts..... :hys:

Wonder if anyone else got that

I still haven't tried an SD that I liked after the 59, the JB, and some Seths. They all sucked next to my Gibsons.
Then try the Custom/59 Hybrid (bridge), Pearly Gates Neck and a Screamin' Demon in the neck position. Yes, even for your less hardrocky music. ;-)

Thank me later. 😉
(oh, and I hate the Jazz FWIW. clinical scooped, soulless PoS.).

You should be use to dealing with tiny, thin things.

Then try the Custom/59 Hybrid (bridge), Pearly Gates Neck and a Screamin' Demon in the neck position. Yes, even for your less hardrocky music. ;-)

Thank me later. 😉
(oh, and I hate the Jazz FWIW. clinical scooped, soulless PoS.).
I've averse to SD since having such bad luck. You are bagging on the Jazz but my friend @JohnnyGtar says it's one of his faves so I'm not sure how to square this. The 59 was one of the dullest buckers I've ever tried. The JB sounded like I was plugged into a compressor pedal all the time which surprisingly I was somewhat more ok with than the 59, and the Seths are kinda harsh and overly bright in the high end, even in a dark LP neck with the tone rolled down some. I'm guessing they might work good in a big archtop. You guys have all tried so much gear, I haven't really so maybe take my posts with a grain of salt.

Post your custom shop mj sets
I already did in another thread. They are the limited signed series. I have 8 custom shop signature sets by Seymour Duncan. Only 160 sets were made for 7 of those, only 40 for the 8th. Here's two, because they are only ones in the my reach at the moment.

Attachments

• 20241004_165309.jpg
    20241004_165309.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
I've averse to SD since having such bad luck. You are bagging on the Jazz but my friend @JohnnyGtar says it's one of his faves so I'm not sure how to square this. The 59 was one of the dullest buckers I've ever tried. The JB sounded like I was plugged into a compressor pedal all the time which surprisingly I was somewhat more ok with than the 59, and the Seths are kinda harsh and overly bright in the high end, even in a dark LP neck with the tone rolled down some. I'm guessing they might work good in a big archtop. You guys have all tried so much gear, I haven't really so maybe take my posts with a grain of salt.
I hated the JB/59 set that came stock in my ESP LTD so I put in a Greenie Custom Shop set by Seymour Duncan and loved those. However, I found that I didn't use the middle out of phase alot so I recently installed the JO-BLO Blond Dot custom shop by Seymour Duncan and love them!

I hated the JB/59 set that came stock in my ESP LTD so I put in a Greenie Custom Shop set by Seymour Duncan and loved those. However, I found that I didn't use the middle out of phase alot so I recently installed the JO-BLO Blond Dot custom shop by Seymour Duncan and love them!

I remember your review of those Greenie pups I think. The JB is weird. I could actually gig that in a blues setting but I've never tried a pickup with that much compression. Super squishy. Kinda like my first LP (copy) as soon as I tried it I was like "I understand why rock players gravitate to these things". Beautiful LTD by the way. I need to try one of those. Kingfish seems to love his ESPs.

I like the Jazz because I like bright pickups. If the Seths are too bright for you, you probably wouldn't dig the Jazz.

You can order the Custom with the braided shielded wire. That one is thicker. I think the upcharge is pretty minimal. It's not a CS pickup. Just a Custom Floor.

If you wanna split the pickups, you gotta make sacrifices.

Back