Seymour Bro we need to talk ...

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
I also loved my emg 81. The only reason i stay away from actives is putting a fucking battery in my guitar.

I also was not impressed with the JB. It is ok.

I have never played a dimarzio, but have some weird prejudice against them somehow. I should try one

You should definitely try one

Lots of people (that aren't me) like them

You should try a really dimarzio-y dimarzio like a tone zone or something so you can get the full quack experience

You should try a really dimarzio-y dimarzio like a tone zone or something so you can get the full quack experience
Maybe i will Dan. Hmm. I may have played one, but it would have been at an amp fest
I know everything Matt uses sounds great. I know he is big on bare knuckles and has emg's. I have a friend that is all about the super distortion.. but distortion is such a bad name. Makes me think of a line 6.

Maybe i will Dan. Hmm. I may have played one, but it would have been at an amp fest
I know everything Matt uses sounds great. I know he is big on bare knuckles and has emg's. I have a friend that is all about the super distortion.. but distortion is such a bad name. Makes me think of a line 6.

I like emgs for certain things, for sure

BKPs make me want to kill myself though, especially for how much they cost

I love the tone zone, and have it in my gibson explorer and my strat bridge (my only 2 guitars). I remember when i had an gibson DC les paul standard (the nice ones with full binding and flamed tops from the late 90s) with Dimarzio breeds in both positions. it was one of the best sounding guitars i've owned.

Its been too long since i played a FRED, so i can't remember specifics, but i didn't hate it. Those are the only dimarzios i've tried (oh yeah...the hot rails is great in tele bridges too). I never noticed any weird out of balance frequencies, and most of my experience comes from before i became a hardcore outboard eq guy.

DanTravis, just not feelin ya on this one, my guy.

I like emgs for certain things, for sure

BKPs make me want to kill myself though, especially for how much they cost
I have a custom set or the Peacemakers by Bare Knuckle and they certainly were not cheap 😆 😂 🤣 Are they worth the price? That is debatable. Before these were installed the guitar came stock with American Burstbuckers and those were not bad by any means.

That being said, the Bare Knuckles haven't been taken out since. I think it was a perfect match for this LP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-162432_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819-162432_Gallery.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230819-162436_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819-162436_Gallery.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230819-162429_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819-162429_Gallery.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 8
Oh shit.

Ignore the "Screenshot", that wasn't a Google grab, I swear....

I have a custom set or the Peacemakers by Bare Knuckle and they certainly were not cheap 😆 😂 🤣 Are they worth the price? That is debatable. Before these were installed the guitar came stock with American Burstbuckers and those were not bad by any means.

That being said, the Bare Knuckles haven't been taken out since. I think it was a perfect match for this LP.

I guess for that price range, i think there are far, faaaaar better sounding options

I will give BKP credit where it is due though, they have great custom color and aesthetic options

I don’t think one can truly have a full quack experience without a Splawn, but those model Dimarzio’s certainly do their part to that too

I dont really keep up with the prices of pickups anymore, so i just think in terms of sound. But i am also set and not searching, so I have empathy. I know prices are going up on all gear.

I dont really keep up with the prices of pickups anymore, so i just think in terms of sound. But i am also set and not searching, so I have empathy. I know prices are going up on all gear.
There are chinese copy-cat sets out there now that can pretty much nail certain pickups for cheaper, but the only means of figuring this out that I know of is to purchase and test the electronic and magnetic properties. The pickup section over at this forum has a lot of good info: https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/

I guess for that price range, i think there are far, faaaaar better sounding options

I will give BKP credit where it is due though, they have great custom color and aesthetic options
Agreed.

Although, I think the Peacemaker set is pretty unique. They are modern PAF that sound a bit different than anything else I've played. Then again, so are the Jo-Blo Blonde Dots by Seymour that I recently put in the ESP.
I feel like, in most cases, the aesthetic options are gonna cost quite a bit but yeah, everything going up in price is just wild. Not fun for the wallet buy if you are someone that enjoys modding, it can be an expensive hobby these days.

Wow I just looked it up and wasn’t aware how much BKP raised their prices. Should’ve held on to the many I had lol. Almost all my preferred vintage pickups could be had for less (some less than half those prices) besides just the Gretsch’s and of course very pricy Gibson and Fender pickups. Sadly those are some of my favorites

The Norton should be a lot more popular. It's in between a FRED and a Tone Zone.
I like the Norton alot for Dimarzio. Most of the others I have tried seem made for basswood guitars. Never had luck with them in anything else.

Back