Seymour Bro we need to talk ...

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
Some even go to great lengths to post immature replies about it. 😉
I feel like that goes for alot of great products on this forum and TGP (as well as other forums). If people are biased towards a brand/product they can shoot down what they don't own- in most cases never actually tried.

I feel like that goes for alot of great products on this forum and TGP (as well as other forums). If people are biased towards a brand/product they can shoot down what they don't own- in most cases never actually tried.

No one has posted an immature reply and everyone except chris has tried dimarzios, you guys are just mad people don't like something you like.

One of my favourite picks ups ever was a Dimarzio Super 3 in an old Fender HM Strat I had. That thing was all kinds of awesome.

Surprisingly, since then, I’ve never bought another DiMarzio. It’s like the name itself causes a mental block in my head, lol

I have a Seymour Duncan Pegasus-Sentient combo in my Strandberg Boden 8. Not too shabby, but I often think I’d like to try out Lundgrens instead. They’re very bell-like and clear, but I wish they had a bit of a different character to them, or perhaps more output.

I have a Seymour Duncan Alpha Omega set in the Aristides I acquired recently. I know it’s billed as a high output passive pickup, but I’m often left wishing it was more ballsy. Super percussive though.

Also loved SD Invaders. I really should get another set for one of my guitars.

The Bareknuckles Blackhawk I installed in my Caparison Horus was a huge improvement in tone over the stock pickup, which is OEM. It’s the passive pup I’ve found to be most like EMGs.

Other BKP pups I’ve tried are Ragnaroks (very high output, I liked them a lot in my stolen seven-string Mayones), Aftermaths (I want to change them out, too mid-focused for me and not percussive enough) and Juggernauts (these really brought the goods, but I sold the guitar. Maybe it’s nostalgia talking).

I’m not feeling the Fishman Fluences in my Flying V guitar. Honestly, I wish it had come with EMGs. Maybe I need to approach tones with them differently.

I used to have a Wilde Bill Lawrence L500XL and L500R in an Ibanez RG. That was another amazing pickup, but I would not order from (the sadly deceased) Bill Lawrence again. He sold me the pickup in a housing that was double the height of the pickup cavity.

I’ve never seen a pickup that tall before, or since. I had to gouge wood out of the guitar cavity just to fit it in. Sounded awesome after that, but I would not order from someone who cannot design a pickup that is of standard dimensions.

Favourite pickup combination has got to be EMG 81/85 though. I just love the compression and they really have an even response. Really good for tight and percussive playing. Very old school sounding, I know, but the 80s and 90s are where my influences mainly come from.

One of my favourite picks ups ever was a Dimarzio Super 3 in an old Fender HM Strat I had. That thing was all kinds of awesome.

Surprisingly, since then, I’ve never bought another DiMarzio. It’s like the name itself causes a mental block in my head, lol

I have a Seymour Duncan Pegasus-Sentient combo in my Strandberg Boden 8. Not too shabby, but I often think I’d like to try out Lundgrens instead. They’re very bell-like and clear, but I wish they had a bit of a different character to them, or perhaps more output.

I have a Seymour Duncan Alpha Omega set in the Aristides I acquired recently. I know it’s billed as a high output passive pickup, but I’m often left wishing it was more ballsy. Super percussive though.

Also loved SD Invaders. I really should get another set for one of my guitars.

The Bareknuckles Blackhawk I installed in my Caparison Horus was a huge improvement in tone over the stock pickup, which is OEM. It’s the passive pup I’ve found to be most like EMGs.

Other BKP pups I’ve tried are Ragnaroks (very high output, I liked them a lot in my stolen seven-string Mayones), Aftermaths (I want to change them out, too mid-focused for me and not percussive enough) and Juggernauts (these really brought the goods, but I sold the guitar. Maybe it’s nostalgia talking).

I’m not feeling the Fishman Fluences in my Flying V guitar. Honestly, I wish it had come with EMGs. Maybe I need to approach tones with them differently.

I used to have a Wilde Bill Lawrence L500XL and L500R in an Ibanez RG. That was another amazing pickup, but I would not order from (the sadly deceased) Bill Lawrence again. He sold me the pickup in a housing that was double the height of the pickup cavity.

I’ve never seen a pickup that tall before, or since. I had to gouge wood out of the guitar cavity just to fit it in. Sounded awesome after that, but I would not order from someone who cannot design a pickup that is of standard dimensions.

Favourite pickup combination has got to be EMG 81/85 though. I just love the compression and they really have an even response. Really good for tight and percussive playing. Very old school sounding, I know, but the 80s and 90s are where my influences mainly come from.
Yeah. emg 81 is a great pickup. Classic for a reason. I suggest you try Tonenerd pickups. If not, take a flyer on the Wagner Ironman. I loved that pickup also.

No one has posted an immature reply and everyone except chris has tried dimarzios, you guys are just mad people don't like something you like.
No, I didn't mean here specifically on the thread, I just meant in general lol

I notice this is especially true for new products that just release as well. Marketing tried to hype a product up to gain traction, forums try to knock it down.

I have wanted to try a Bill Lawrence for a long time. I was close to doing so but on a whim decided on a Lollar DB instead for my LP copy neck pos. Had the same problem. It was too tall, or perhaps just not enough range of adjustment with the supplied screws. I couldn't lower it down enough to remove the massive amount of ear shredding icepick. Was really disappointed. Hoping to cut my losses I threw it in the bridge position and that pickup absolutely kills in there.

No, I didn't mean here specifically on the thread, I just meant in general lol

I notice this is especially true for new products that just release as well. Marketing tried to hype a product up to gain traction, forums try to knock it down.

Okay that makes more sense then, but it isn't in a vacuum. People are sick to death of youtube shills hyping underwhelming products with soyface thumbnails

Meanwhile every guitarist on earth is just supposed to CONSOOM PRODUCT AND GET EXCITED FOR NEXT PRODUCT

It's obnoxious and exhausting, and it's not exactly rocket science why the forums knock it down

No one has posted an immature reply and
Uh *you* did. Your sarcastic rewording (including the mentioning of the PAF Pro and ToneZone) of my constructive advice.

And no, I'm not mad if people don't like Dimarzios, but slagging their *whole* portfolio based on some negative experiences with just a few is straight up lame.
Suppose the only two Duncan's I played are the Invader and the Jazz and based my whole opinion about the company on that... Capice?

(And yes, I know that you said you tried multiple... But I find it hard to believe you consider so many of them 'quacky' and nasal, when they have such a wide range. My 2 cts. )

Last edited:
Okay that makes more sense then, but it isn't in a vacuum. People are sick to death of youtube shills hyping underwhelming products with soyface thumbnails

Meanwhile every guitarist on earth is just supposed to CONSOOM PRODUCT AND GET EXCITED FOR NEXT PRODUCT

It's obnoxious and exhausting, and it's not exactly rocket science why the forums knock it down
I agree.

But that's not always the case. Some people just enjoy knocking stuff down and there could be a number of reasons for it. Sometimes it's a money thing, Sometimes it's brand loyalty, and sometimes it's not liking the people who are involved. I've found that Youtube videos are rarely a fair representation of pedals, amps or pickups.

Of course there could be many other things with that too but point being in most cases people judge without actually trying things. Kinda understandable though, nobody wants to spend hundreds of dollars on something they don't understand or are not sure they'd like to begin with.

I'm not sure I've tried Dimarzios but I've heard great things so I can't really say anything bad about them. My top pickup brands are Seymour Duncan and I like Fender's stuff too. I do have a few new sets by MojoTone I've yet to install but I think I'm happy with everything that's in my current guitars.

Uh *you* did. Your sarcastic rewording (including the mentioning of the PAF Pro and ToneZone) of my constructive advice.

And no, I'm not mad if people don't like Dimarzios, but slagging their *whole* portfolio based on some negative experiences with just a few is straight up lame.
Suppose the only two Duncan's I played are the Invader and the Jazz and based my whole opinion about the company on that... Capice?

(And yes, I know that you said you tried multiple... But I find it hard to believe you consider so many of them 'quacky' and nasal, when they have such a wide range. My 2 cts. )

Right, it's totally impossible that someone who's played guitar for 27 years, owned hundreds of guitars, works as a tech locally on thousands of guitars (mostly replacing pickups) could possibly have experience with one of the more popular brands of aftermarket pickups, that's just absurd, right? No one could possibly have a negative opinion on something you like based on years of experience and literally hundreds of pickups. right? Because it's completely impossible that anyone could disagree with your epicurean taste in pickups :ROFLMAO: That would be just like, immature, man.

They have a signature quacky midrange that's common with many of their models, but exemplified by the super distortion and tone zone.

51jaKvgs4DL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

First thanks for all you do in the pickup world especially the wiring schmatics as i just completely [successfully the first time] rewired an 87 HSS Charvel.
But could you maybe increase the gauge of coil wires bigger than a human hair.
Thanking you anyway - peace.
NO. Any larger and more resistant is created and less tone.

Right, it's totally impossible that someone who's played guitar for 27 years, owned hundreds of guitars, works as a tech locally on thousands of guitars (mostly replacing pickups) could possibly have experience with one of the more popular brands of aftermarket pickups, that's just absurd, right? No one could possibly have a negative opinion on something you like based on years of experience and literally hundreds of pickups. right? Because it's completely impossible that anyone could disagree with your epicurean taste in pickups :ROFLMAO: That would be just like, immature, man.

They have a signature quacky midrange that's common with many of their models, but exemplified by the super distortion and tone zone.
Dude, read my original post again. Did I ever sound high and mighty and downright condescending? No. So I don't get why you have to go out full dick about it. I never claimed that you were outright wrong. I just have a hard time believing that you would consider so many different Dimarzios to *all* have that quack.

For the record, I play guitar for 31 years, have a Bachelor's degree in music, owned and sold a ton of gear as well, but at least I'm not being arrogant about it and try to help people here instead of acting like you do now...

Dude, read my original post again. Did I ever sound high and mighty and downright condescending? No. So I don't get why you have to go out full dick about it. I never claimed that you were outright wrong. I just have a hard time believing that you would consider so many different Dimarzios to *all* have that quack.

For the record, I play guitar for 31 years, have a Bachelor's degree in music, owned and sold a ton of gear as well, but at least I'm not being arrogant about it and try to help people here instead of acting like you do now...

It sounds like we need a chugg off. There are no rules. There are no prisoners. To the death!

It sounds like we need a chugg off. There are no rules. There are no prisoners. To the death!

Nah, anyone else who wants to hear me play can buy a CD or go to one of my bands shows, I'm done playing by "so like, record yourself, but it has to be a gay cellphone recording with an Instagram filter and the winner is whoever plays the gayest modern deathcore riffs" rules that forum shitters make up

I respectfully disagree with speedemons opinion; no, it's not "immature" to just not like (the sound or whatever) a piece of gear, that's retarded. Plenty of people dislike Larry and I hear about it from you dipshits constantly - were allowed to disagree, aren't we?

Nah, anyone else who wants to hear me play can buy a CD or go to one of my bands shows, I'm done playing by "so like, record yourself, but it has to be a gay cellphone recording with an Instagram filter and the winner is whoever plays the gayest modern deathcore riffs" rules that forum shitters make up

I respectfully disagree with speedemons opinion; no, it's not "immature" to just not like (the sound or whatever) a piece of gear, that's retarded. Plenty of people dislike Larry and I hear about it from you dipshits constantly - were allowed to disagree, aren't we?
I dont know what instagram is, but it sounds like some soyboy shit

Nah, anyone else who wants to hear me play can buy a CD or go to one of my bands shows,
i've been saying this for like a year. I really don't give a dang what anyone thinks when someone is paying me to do it. Not an ego cause I still think I pretty much suck, just been doing it too long to care if someone wants to say that. I'm damn tired and hurting lately and now my family is going through another hurricane. Not exactly concerned about making clips. I do think we should all love one another and show it more and try to be forgiving and understanding of where each person is coming from. Rig Talk is a cut above so we should treat everyone here that way. I have a great love for ALL of you guys. This is one of the best places I have ever hung out in my life. And that ain't just the wild turkey 101 talking. :LOL: ☦️

Back