Seymour Duncan 78’ vs Seymour 59

• Thread starter Thread starter Lightning
  • Start date Start date
L
Lightning
opinions which of these two pickups sound brighter(bridge position)

Seymour Duncan 59B is more bright and clanky and more harsh than the 78 model, the 78 model has better harmonic content but still 100% PAF like. Even though the 78 model has an A-2 magnet the attack is not soft but it is warmer sounding than a 59B with an A-5. The 78 plays and feels way hotter than 9K ohms. It think the standard 59B is around 8.0 to 8.5K maybe more depending on who and when it was wound.

You really have to play them back to back to see if one works better for you than the other IMHO.

I like the 78 model personally but the 59B is a pretty correct PAF. Seymour had the Lessona winding machines that Gibson used back in the 70-80's. I'm sure he upgraded them by now.

Seymour Duncan 59B is more bright and clanky and more harsh than the 78 model, the 78 model has better harmonic content but still 100% PAF like. Even though the 78 model has an A-2 magnet the attack is not soft but it is warmer sounding than a 59B with an A-5. The 78 plays and feels way hotter than 9K ohms. It think the standard 59B is around 8.0 to 8.5K maybe more depending on who and when it was wound.

You really have to play them back to back to see if one works better for you than the other IMHO.

I like the 78 model personally but the 59B is a pretty correct PAF. Seymour had the Lessona winding machines that Gibson used back in the 70-80's. I'm sure he upgraded them by now.
This 100%!
I still have a set of Custom Shop 78's; some of my absolute favorite PAF style pickups!

Thats the difference of the thicker wire...
Even if its 9K the 42 gauge has more "pull" than the 43 or 44...
The "hot" feel of a 9K with 42 gauge gets to the JB hottness without the compression and with a little more openess...

What would a 78 sound like with the 59 B A5 magnet swap ? Anyone tried it ?

Does anyone know how the Screamin’ Demon compares and what magnet is in that ?

Thanks in advance.

What would a 78 sound like with the 59 B A5 magnet swap ? Anyone tried it ?

Does anyone know how the Screamin’ Demon compares and what magnet is in that ?

Thanks in advance.
I have had Custom Shop '78s with A2, A5 and A8 magnets.

A2 to A5 in the 78 gave a bit more low end and attack and a bit more output.

Screamin' Demon is quite a different pickup: 10k, 43awg wire (very low winds for that type of wire) and A5 magnet. I always found the stock 'Demon to be bright, clear and underpowered for the bridge position. If you want a 'Demon with proper horsepower, get MJ to wind you an OG El Diablo (overwound Demon) or get one wound up to 12-13k with an A8 magnet. 😉

I agree with your assessment of the stock Demon. However, I also know that the clips I’ve heard of Mark Cameron playing his homemade super strat through the prototype CCV years ago are some of the best tones I’ve ever heard, and Mark told me the pickup in that guitar is a Demon.

I agree with your assessment of the stock Demon. However, I also know that the clips I’ve heard of Mark Cameron playing his homemade super strat through the prototype CCV years ago are some of the best tones I’ve ever heard, and Mark told me the pickup in that guitar is a Demon.
Well....Cameron was playing a Cameron. Most of what you were hearing response wise had to do with the amp and not the pickup in the guitar.

That said, the 'Demon has its fans and is a cool pickup. You might dig it, but it is quite different from a true "hot PAF" (the '78 is in that category). Only way to know is to try.

Here”s the big question when Edward supposedly gave his PAF to seymour to rewind did Seymour analyze the magnet and it was a alnico 2 most 1961 PAF pickups out of a 1961 Gibson ES335 were short alnico 5

Well....Cameron was playing a Cameron. Most of what you were hearing response wise had to do with the amp and not the pickup in the guitar.

That said, the 'Demon has its fans and is a cool pickup. You might dig it, but it is quite different from a true "hot PAF" (the '78 is in that category). Only way to know is to try.
My point was I was surprised a Demon could sound that good. Not a fan of it.

Back