Sitting on tons of 12ax7

• Thread starter Thread starter just42dave
  • Start date Start date
Shoot, I'm always looking out for killer RCA blackplate 12ax7s. If you end up having any extra, lemme know!

Anybody use the ei in their modules?

I was into the Randall RM's when that video originally came out so I went hunting for some ei's. Can't remember if I ever found any! At one point or another I did procure some pre's from you. Probably in that same ballpark. Since then I have stopped tube rolling for the most part. Using a Syn-1 and PS2 now as my main rig and have never even taken a tube cage off of any of the modules.

Had more NOS Tubes go bad in high gain amps than any new production. I have a couple hundred old preamp tubes that started out good and ended up in the bad box.

My favorites were the RFT, military 5751 and 12ax7 with the square getter and short fat plates. RCA. And had a bunch of black plates.

But they all eventually go microphonic where JJ and TAD outlast them to the point it became another weird rabbit hole I was dwelling in rolling nos tubes in every high gain amp....

Some made a difference but at the end of the day... I realized as much as I love tubes... at least 75% of it was CORK SNIFFERY.

I do still enjoy some GE 6550, and Black Plate 6l6. And the worst thing TAD did was stop making their black plate for the red base bullshit. 😑

I have a stash of pres and I am still hunting for good deals. Ergo I‘m stashing up.

Chinese square getter can still be found cheaply and they go in my Mesas. EI are perfect in Marshall PI positions. Mullards are almost impossible to find for decent prices, sadly.

I have a stash of pres and I am still hunting for good deals. Ergo I‘m stashing up.

Chinese square getter can still be found cheaply and they go in my Mesas. EI are perfect in Marshall PI positions. Mullards are almost impossible to find for decent prices, sadly.

Yes, Ei are great PI tubes.
Almost every amp I own has an Ei in the phase inverter slot.👍

My Larry Dino has a Telefunken in ph-Inverter, but I’m going to try a good Ei in there to compare.

Yes, Ei are great PI tubes.
Almost every amp I own has an Ei in the phase inverter slot.👍

My Larry Dino has a Telefunken in ph-Inverter, but I’m going to try a good Ei in there to compare.
I think it’s you I got the advice from. They work perfectly in my 2204 and make it sound huge. I never tried them in a Mesa though

Yep, I have a stash like some of you have. Mostly Siemens/Winged C EL34, some 6L6/5881s and a few GE 6550s. Pre tubes are Tungsram, Ei, Mullard(vintage), Chinese square getters from 89-today, Amperex, GE, RCA, Fivre and others I forget. Plenty to last me till the end of my days.

I'd take a couple of Tungsram if you're interested in selling.

Had more NOS Tubes go bad in high gain amps than any new production. I have a couple hundred old preamp tubes that started out good and ended up in the bad box.

My favorites were the RFT, military 5751 and 12ax7 with the square getter and short fat plates. RCA. And had a bunch of black plates.

But they all eventually go microphonic where JJ and TAD outlast them to the point it became another weird rabbit hole I was dwelling in rolling nos tubes in every high gain amp....

Some made a difference but at the end of the day... I realized as much as I love tubes... at least 75% of it was CORK SNIFFERY.

I do still enjoy some GE 6550, and Black Plate 6l6. And the worst thing TAD did was stop making their black plate for the red base bullshit. 😑
I loved the 6l6 black plate

Back