So, what do you guys do for a living?

• Thread starter Thread starter napalmdeath
  • Start date Start date
Wow. Lots of IT people.

Me too. I'm more in the technical pre-sales/sales/contracting role with a large global pro services/consulting firm. So although I create, manage and 'enforce' contracts like Mr.Downtown does, I'm versed in all the current hot topics. My IT brethren out there will probably recognize (in no particular order) terms like: SDWAN, IOT, SEIM, MEC, VLAN, SIP, 802.11, TEM/WEM, UC, DAS, CoLo, SaaS, etc.

Pro tip - "Cloud" has nothing to do with clouds or space or satellites.

Last edited:
I teach guitar and music theory classes daily and do part time work at local radio stations. And rehouse pet Guinea pigs that people throw out . Something my daughter started and ended up being lots of work lol . 19 pigs atm

Wow. Lots of IT people.

Me too. I'm more in the technical pre-sales/sales/contracting role with a large global pro services/consulting firm. So although I create, manage and 'enforce' contracts like Mr.Downtown does, I'm versed in all the current hot topics. My IT brethren out there will probably recognize (in no particular order) terms like: SDWAN, IOT, SEIM, MEC, VLAN, SIP, 802.11, TEM/WEM, UC, DAS, CoLo, SaaS, etc.

pretty crazy how many people are employed under the broad umbrella of "IT". i'm technically part of our IT org, and ive attended some basic cert trainings (but have not tested) so I'm fairly low level but i'm always intrigued at how big the tent is for IT.

Grew up working in my Grandfather's music store as a teenager. Tech, Friday night musician, and exotic dancer throughout college. Veterinarian for 10 years. Retired due to top notch investments in tech (AMD, NVIDIA, Foundries) and real estate (after the 08 crash) over the last 15 years.

Looking to open a secondhand electronic/music/hotrod/videogame/motorcycle sales, customization, and repair shop with my husband locally by summer. Would eventually like to carry new instruments from local and other small US builders, as well as Japan down the road. Not too concerned about being profitable, just want a fun place for the community and something to do that I enjoy. I think it will also help with my hoarding of said items issues.

I am 25 years in with a very big global IT/Tech Consulting group. I began my career as a pup during the Y2K scare. Any more, I really do not care for my work but it has paid for a home, will send two kids to college and beyond and barring any disaster will allow me to retire at a fairly young age. I have no more career aspirations other than not having a career any more. I am weary of corp-speak and having another noun turned into a verb every day.

People operations consultant: a mix of hr & coaching/training new & middle managers, & getting organizations to strategically enhance engagement, succession planning, & retention.

I went out on m own after a Covid layoff in 2020. Great experience, but I am back to looking for more gainful employment.

It's funny because I don't have a traditional HR background. For half my career I was hired to in taking over teams, put the right people in them, mindfully exit the wrong ones fit to a better fit, and fix broken operational processes & measure the ROI of the fix.

Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Medical field. Proctologist.
seinfeld-kramer.gif

Wow. Lots of IT people.

I want to put a smoke machine in our Server Room, open the door and tell people "Welcome to the Cloud".. LOL

I am a Superintendent for a plumbing company in Austin.
This was a great idea for a thread. I had no idea some of the jobs in here. I have accused at least a few of living in their Mom's basement, lol. But I have worked construction for my whole adult life, so you will have to forgive me if I am a little rough around the edges.

Back