Sorry gasholes

You are assuming people have a garage to pull it into. A lot don't..

You are also talking about level 1 chargers..

From the same website..

Level 1 equipment (chargers) provides charging through a common residential 120-volt (120V) AC outlet. Level 1 chargers can take 40-50+ hours to charge a EV to 80 percent from empty.

40-50+ hours? Up to two days or more to recharge your EV? Yeah, No.

Why are hybrids overlooked. A hybrid would be much more practical to live with.

You can charge outside in your driveway too. Also you can use 220v just like a dryer outlet for faster charging.

None of this is difficult. Many people at my work have tesla's, and none of this is a problem.

Pull up at home, plug your car in. No more gas station stops 🤷‍♀️

BTW most people at my work don't care about the environment, they bought it for the convenience, and savings.

You can charge outside in your driveway too. Also you can use 220v just like a dryer outlet for faster charging.
Yeah, that'll be cheap. I hang all my clothes except socks and underwear on a clothes line because I have it pegged at about $2.50 per load to dry it and I like to live cheap. And that's for running a dryer on a 220 line for about 45 minutes. So I save $40 a month or so. I can imagine my bill plugging in a hunk of crap for 48 hours on a 220 line for charging. Ain't no savings.

Yeah, that'll be cheap. I hang all my clothes except socks and underwear on a clothes line because I have it pegged at about $2.50 per load to dry it and I like to live cheap. And that's for running a dryer on a 220 line for about 45 minutes. So I save $40 a month or so. I can imagine my bill plugging in a hunk of crap for 48 hours on a 220 line for charging. Ain't no savings.

If you're paying $2.50 for 45min something is seriously wrong with your dryer, or your math, or your energy rate.

The highest wattage dryers for home are around 5kw. Let's do the math, let's round up to 1hour to make it easy.
1hour x 5kw x 0.13kwh (my electric rate) = $0.65

giphy.gif

I just bought a Makita 2 x 18v blower and a similar but heavier Makita 2 x 18v blower vac which I keep permanently setup as a vac. I think the blower is every bit as powerful as my Stihl and Husqvarna 2 stroke blowers and blower vacs and I'm not going to bother with 2 stroke anymore. As for motorcycles you can keep your electric motorcycles. I'll stick with my ICE ones.

394691255_1743518059394614_599317069671639092_n.png

Also where do you think our roads come from... The bitumen is all from fractional distillation. Get rid of petrol and how are you going to have enough by product for maintaining road infrastructure.

If you're paying $2.50 for 45min something is seriously wrong with your dryer, or your math, or your energy rate.

The highest wattage dryers for home are around 5kw. Let's do the math, let's round up to 1hour to make it easy.
In Australia my peak rate is 0.65c/kwh. Off Peak and shoulder rates are like 0.33c and 0.35c kwh respectively.

Maybe my calculations are wrong but I have women here, that means lots of laundry. Dryer only for a month=extra $40. My entire goal is avoiding large recurring bills, not driving them up with high priced electric vehicles and too many comforts.

I moved here for the country cheap and live like it too. I'm looking at less than a $100 electric bill coming thanks to the mild temps the rain it will likely run over that since I had to use the dryer the past week. I actually was handwashing everything in the tub and line drying it for close to a year after my washer died, but someone thought they were doing something nice by buying me a washer and dryer set. I would've rather had the money but I suppose I needed to be gracious and accept the gift. I lived pretty rough out here building this place. Running water, a hose. A flush toilet, you tote the five gallon to flush it. Old trailer. Wasn't pretty other than being pretty disgusting, lol.

Maybe my calculations are wrong but I have women here, that means lots of laundry. Dryer only for a month=extra $40. My entire goal is avoiding large recurring bills, not driving them up with high priced electric vehicles and too many comforts.

Oh I know about women and laundry. When my mother-in-law was with us she would do a complete laundry cycle for one hand towel :ROFLMAO:

I moved here for the country cheap and live like it too. I'm looking at less than a $100 electric bill coming thanks to the mild temps the rain it will likely run over that since I had to use the dryer the past week. I actually was handwashing everything in the tub and line drying it for close to a year after my washer died, but someone thought they were doing something nice by buying me a washer and dryer set. I would've rather had the money but I suppose I needed to be gracious and accept the gift. I lived pretty rough out here building this place. Running water, a hose. A flush toilet, you tote the five gallon to flush it. Old trailer. Wasn't pretty other than being pretty disgusting, lol.

Put up your own solar, don't have a ripoff company do it. DIY
I have - I have a 12.9kw system with a 10kw inverter. Put it in 3 months ago. However that just means I paid $11k up front for my electricity lol. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also where do you think our roads come from... The bitumen is all from fractional distillation. Get rid of petrol and how are you going to have enough by product for maintaining road infrastructure.
We won't need cars since you will live in a 15 minute CITY and Klaus says there will no longer be private car ownership.

The Billionaires of the world keep repeating all this dystopian rhetoric yet many don't believe what they say..........I guess some will never wake up until the JACK BOOT is up their ass.

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/...51e3e5t39wu&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Firefighters called to extinguish an electric-vehicle fire are discovering the surest approach is to stand back and watch it burn.

Electric cars combust differently than their gas-powered counterparts. Firefighters and researchers said EV fires last longer, are harder to put out and have a tendency to reignite.

First responders in Franklin, Tenn., faced their first burning EV in September, a
Nissan
Leaf that ignited while charging outside the car maker’s North America headquarters. They spent hours pouring 45,000 gallons of water on the car, compared with the 500 to 1,000 gallons that fires involving gasoline-powered vehicles usually need, Fire Marshal Andy King said.

“I think if we were faced with a similar scenario next time, we might need to let it burn,” he said.
Nissan said it is investigating the cause of the fire.

First responders are still trying to figure out how to deal with EV fires. “When we look at how much money is going into battery plants, into the EV transition, there hasn’t been that carve-out to prepare the fire service,” said Michael O’Brian, fire chief of Michigan’s Brighton Area Fire Authority and chair of the International Association of Fire Chiefs’ battery committee.

Electric-vehicle fires usually start in the car’s lithium-ion batteries, which can store a massive amount of energy. If a battery is poorly designed, or if it is damaged by shock or internal spikes of lithium that form over time, a process known as “thermal runaway” can begin, said chief scientist Robert Slone of UL Solutions, which tests and certifies batteries.

Advertisement

Fighting an EV Fire​

First responders take different approaches to extinguish fires that start in an EV's lithium-ion batteries​

3568dc51-046c-4093-aeb3-2b6c5172f64c-EVFIRES-_700px.jpg

Bouncing water

under car

Blanket to smother

Controlled burn

until extinguished

Special sprinkler

attachment

Source: staff reports
The batteries contain flammable chemicals and can release their own oxygen as they burn, allowing EV fires to reignite hours or even days after they appear to be quenched. They also emit toxic fumes that Tom Miller, who teaches for the West Virginia University Fire Service Extension and the National Volunteer Fire Council, said “make hydrogen cyanide look like Pez.”

Genevieve Cullen, president of the Electric Drive Transportation Association industry group, said electric vehicle fires aren’t more dangerous than those involving gas-powered vehicles, but do require their own tactics.

“It’s a matter of training,” she said.

Motorists tempted to tackle an EV fire themselves should think twice, O’Brian said. A fire extinguisher would likely be incapable of tamping down the flames from a battery pack, he said, and the smoke is highly dangerous.

He said drivers should pay attention to any indications a problem might be coming. “If the dash is telling you, ‘Don’t drive the car, pull over’—pull over and stop driving the car,” he said.

Some departments take a cautious approach. Firefighters in Hillsborough Township, N.J., allowed a Tesla that had been in an accident to burn itself out after it ignited in a salvage yard last month. The Cosumnes Fire Department in California did the same in May with a Tesla that caught fire on a roadside near Sacramento.
That car’s owner, Bishal Malla, said it began vibrating harshly as he drove onto a highway ramp. Thinking he had a flat tire, he stopped the car and got out, only to see smoke billowing from the undercarriage. Within minutes, he said, the smoke became flames.
A responding fire engine sprayed about 700 gallons of water on the fire, but when it was clear that the batteries were involved, Assistant Fire Chief Robert Kasparian told his firefighters to let it go. Tesla didn’t respond to a request for comment.
Advertisement

Kasparian said letting an EV burn isn’t always possible. He and his colleagues are trying to figure out how they would deal with an electric car that combusts in the owner’s garage.
He said one idea is to hit the fire with a “fog stream,” which is a fine spray rather than a jet of water. That could lower the temperature enough so a firefighter could hook a chain to the car and drag it outside.
New products aimed at taming EV fires are coming onto the market. The Louisville Fire Department in Kentucky has a specialized nozzle designed to slip under a car and spray water directly onto the undercarriage, cooling the battery pack. Others use large blankets meant to smother the flames.
Organizations that write building and fire codes are also adjusting to the spread of electric vehicles.
Brian O’Connor of the National Fire Protection Association said his organization’s latest recommended code calls for newly constructed parking garages to have sprinklers, a precaution he said isn’t solely about EVs: Contemporary gas-powered vehicles have more plastic and insulation and larger fuel tanks than previous models, which makes them a greater fire hazard.

Firefighters putting out a fire in a prototype battery-powered lawn mower in Louisville, Ky., last year. Credit: Todd Root
Robert DeBurro, executive vice president and managing partner of LAZ Parking, which owns, leases or manages about 2,000 parking structures, said many cities already require garage sprinklers if a building also contains offices or dwellings.
His company hasn’t had an issue with EV fires, he said, though it temporarily banned Chevy Bolts after the vehicles were recalled because of battery-fire risks. A Chevy spokesman said that issue has been addressed.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS​

Should battery makers consider fire risk as they move forward? Join the conversation below.
Miller, of the National Volunteer Fire Council, teaches firefighters to immobilize EVs before attacking the flames, since there have been cases of cars that move even while burning. Some departments have submerged EVs in water just to be sure fires won’t restart, he said.
Some car manufacturers and their suppliers are trying to prevent EV fires with new technology. Audi has filed a patent application for a battery that can extinguish its own fire. Industrial conglomerate
Honeywell
and energy company Nexceris are creating early warning sensors for batteries, and
3M
is working on materials meant to contain thermal runaway.

im-879770
Firefighters with the North Collier Fire Control and Rescue District in Florida attempting to cool the battery pack of a burning Tesla last year. Photo: North Collier Fire Control and Rescue District
Numerous companies are also developing solid-state batteries, thought to be safer than their liquid-based cousins. Victoria Hutchison, a senior research project manager with the NFPA Fire Protection Research Foundation, said those have been discussed for years but still aren’t being sold at scale.
The foundation is researching EV-firefighting techniques and aims to publish recommendations by the end of next year. For now, Hutchison said fire departments must weigh how much water and effort they can spare.
“The fire service has limited time and resources,” she said.
Write to John Keilman at john.keilman@wsj.com
Advertisement

Copyright ©2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8

Appeared in the November 11, 2023, print edition as 'Electric-Car Fires Prove Hard to Put Out'.

Biggest problem I see with EVs is, you just can't take a trip with them over 500 miles....sure, you can stop and re charge IF you can find a station..but then, how long will it take? We just don't have the infrastructure yet to do this properly.
I'm not gonna fork out 50K for a vehicle I can't road trip with, or if I do, I need to add another 5 days of travel time due to the charging times.

None of this is difficult. Many people at my work have tesla's, and none of this is a problem.
Its not up to you to decide whats difficult or a problem for other people..

Hows this for a electric vehicle..its got a 12 volt battery and alternator and runs via a HEI distributor that pumps out a roughly 30000 volt spark to each cylinder at the right time..

PXL_20230510_220611665.jpg
PXL_20230510_220552763.jpg

Back