Sperzel...do they still exist?

• Thread starter Thread starter stlnvet
  • Start date Start date
Lower ratio does not allow for more precision, a higher ratio does.

Correct - Higher ratio= more precise tuning.

More ratio equals more turns to get the string where it needs to be, meaning it is changing the pitch in smaller increments, allowing for greater precision.

If you have a circle and divide it by 12 or you divide it by 18, that is the imagery.

The more 'pieces' in the pie, the more accurate :)
Thanks, I get the numbers (I had better after all that engineering math in college) I just had it backwards regarding buttons/pegs.

Thanks, I get the numbers (I had better after all that engineering math in college) I just had it backwards regarding buttons/pegs.
I gotcha! I am just a visual person and it's easier for me to explain ideas in that manner, did not mean it in a negative way.

All that being said, my Sperzels are 15:1 on my main guitar, which is OK overall. I just have Hipshots on another and they feel smoother to me and more accurate.

The Sperzels have given me 0 performance issues and I got them for a great price. Definitely a solid choice if you get a deal on them.

I gotcha! I am just a visual person and it's easier for me to explain ideas in that manner, did not mean it in a negative way.

All that being said, my Sperzels are 15:1 on my main guitar, which is OK overall. I just have Hipshots on another and they feel smoother to me and more accurate.

The Sperzels have given me 0 performance issues and I got them for a great price. Definitely a solid choice if you get a deal on them.
All good! My Sperzels are on my first partscaster and are around 20years old and got gigged/rehearsed quite a bit.

The Gotoh mini 510s have the smoothest feel of any I’ve tried. And I like the look.

All good! My Sperzels are on my first partscaster and are around 20years old and got gigged/rehearsed quite a bit.

The Gotoh mini 510s have the smoothest feel of any I’ve tried. And I like the look.
Same! The Sperzel's I have are on my first Partscaster. I'll check out those Gotohs if I am looking for a new set.
Zed (1).jpg

The Gotoh 510's are incredible, and they're by far the best tuners I've tried myself.

Gotoh 300-something series are also good, but they're a bit lower ratio than the 510's. The design isn't as sleek either.

I have not tried the newer offereings like the Graphtechs or the Hipshots, though.

The upside I see to Sperzel over Gotoh and most other tuners is that they're Aluminum, so they're lighter. Gotohs have steel posts, which is cool, but I think the rest of the housing is pot metal which tends to be heavier.

Lol my first one has that same bridge too.

That’s a killer looking build. Love that transparent pg.
That's funny!! I got it off of an old Carvin Bolt. I need to restore that Carvin, Joe Satriani signed the Headstock for me after a concert. Lengthy story but he made sure he wrote it nice and slow and took his time and stuff. The Wilkinson Gotoh has been stable. Surprisingly so for a number of years now.

Back