Started building my amp shelving - Completed

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
MadAsAHatter
MadAsAHatter
Like I did with the multi guitar racks I'm building shelving units for my amps. I started on it this past weekend. This go around I saved myself a lot of time and effort by having the lumber yard mill the boards. They surfaced both faces and one side. For 0.25 cents per board foot it was well worth it.

So far I have everything cut to shape and started gluing up the side walls. I only have so many clamps big enough so I wasn't able to get all of them glued up in one shot. Here's some quick pics of where I left off this afternoon.

1687823276552.png
1687823301251.png

1687823339276.png

This is awesome. Someday building a proper shelf with a few little customizations for ease of use is on my list to do too. I originally wanted to be able to leave all of my amps plugged in at the same time on a huge power strip, then I had a speaker cable run to each row. I'd reach behind and plug the speaker cable in to whichever amp I felt like playing at the time. I did it for a little while with some cheap harbor freight shelving but when I moved recently I upgraded - it's still "garage" style shelving but a lot thicker/nicer and deeper so I can stack two heads one behind the other. But it's definitely a bit uglier than yours will be - I can't wait to see the final results

Some extra details...
It's going to be 81" tall and 16" deep. The whole unit will ultimately be 97" wide, but I'm doing it in 3 separate sections. I'm having to do it that way otherwise I'd never get it down the hall and into my room. When all set up it'll house 2 - 412 cabs, a 212 cab, 12 amp heads and my switcher unit.

The sides are obviously being glued together. The back supports will be bolted on using threaded bolt inserts. I'm also going to be using brackets/screws to attach the shelves for added stability. I won't be able to adjust shelves, but the spacing will be pretty standard for amp heads. So most heads will fit if I changes things out.

Cool!

Got a question though.....

????
View attachment 218794
I see you're admiring the lime green Ryobi leaf blower I have there LOL!

The "cabs" are left over from combo amps I converted to heads. Of the 2 guitars, one is a Michael Kelly dragonfly bass and the other an old Ibanez AE. Both were messed up a bit in a flood back in 2016. A lot of the bracing and inlays came loose. some of the top and back separated too. I've replaced them with similar guitars, but haven't had the heart to throw them out. I think they can be repaired, but it's not high on the to do list. Maybe one day I'll get to them.

This is awesome. Someday building a proper shelf with a few little customizations for ease of use is on my list to do too. I originally wanted to be able to leave all of my amps plugged in at the same time on a huge power strip, then I had a speaker cable run to each row. I'd reach behind and plug the speaker cable in to whichever amp I felt like playing at the time. I did it for a little while with some cheap harbor freight shelving but when I moved recently I upgraded - it's still "garage" style shelving but a lot thicker/nicer and deeper so I can stack two heads one behind the other. But it's definitely a bit uglier than yours will be - I can't wait to see the final results
You should look into getting an amp head switcher like DeLisle, KHE, Ampete, etc. if you haven't already. I personally have a DeLisle, but they're all good. The convenience of no longer having to reach behind everything to move cables is worth every penny.

Some extra details...
It's going to be 81" tall and 16" deep. The whole unit will ultimately be 97" wide, but I'm doing it in 3 separate sections. I'm having to do it that way otherwise I'd never get it down the hall and into my room. When all set up it'll house 2 - 412 cabs, a 212 cab, 12 amp heads and my switcher unit.

The sides are obviously being glued together. The back supports will be bolted on using threaded bolt inserts. I'm also going to be using brackets/screws to attach the shelves for added stability. I won't be able to adjust shelves, but the spacing will be pretty standard for amp heads. So most heads will fit if I changes things out.
now that's an Entertainment Center !!

I see you're admiring the lime green Ryobi leaf blower I have there LOL!

The "cabs" are left over from combo amps I converted to heads. Of the 2 guitars, one is a Michael Kelly dragonfly bass and the other an old Ibanez AE. Both were messed up a bit in a flood back in 2016. A lot of the bracing and inlays came loose. some of the top and back separated too. I've replaced them with similar guitars, but haven't had the heart to throw them out. I think they can be repaired, but it's not high on the to do list. Maybe one day I'll get to them.

You should look into getting an amp head switcher like DeLisle, KHE, Ampete, etc. if you haven't already. I personally have a DeLisle, but they're all good. The convenience of no longer having to reach behind everything to move cables is worth every penny.
I had one of those Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless basses for a while. The inlays came loose even without being in a flood. It sounded epic recorded though.

I have shelving like you see at Home depo sturdy ,and fugly but can handle heavy loads.Check out the Dave amato gear srorage on u tube.

Over the last week and through this weekend I've made a good bit of progress. All of the sides have been glued up and joints sanded flush. I've also got all the other pieces cut.

Currently I'm in the process of gluing together boards for the shelves. One set is done, the second is in the clamps, and I'll have one more set to glue after that.

After that it'll be rounding over the edges of everything. Then sanding...... Lots and lots of sanding.....

I've been researching this for a long time and almost pulled the trigger probably dozens of times. I really want to make the move but each time I think I have a plan something happens and it falls through... someday though.

I made what finally feel like real progress today and starting to have something that looks like a shelving unit. I still have more to do, but was able to do do the back pieces and a dry fit. Happy to say it all went together how it needed to.

These are the 2 main parts, I'll have back braces to connect them together. Then I can start fully fitting the shelves.

1688405860317.png

And here's a test fit of a 412 to make sure I didn't flub and make them too narrow.

1688405979833.png

looking good.

space saving too.

saving all that space means you'll have room for more amps. just sayin' :thumbsup:

looking good.

space saving too.

saving all that space means you'll have room for more amps. just sayin' :thumbsup:
This is pretty much the whole reason for building it. I needed better / more custom organization to fit all the stuff I have and leave a little room for more.

Reactions: rsm

Back