Started building my amp shelving - Completed

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
Made more progress yesterday. Everything in the pic below has been has been prep sanded and is ready for clearcoat. Well everything except the 2nd to bottom back rail on the right & left side. I didn't realized until it test fit the 412 that the board blocks the input jack. not a big deal to make a minor modification and cut out a notch.

Next up is the shelves. I have all the boards glued up so it will be trimming them to fit, measuring/testing out spacing, and more sanding.

1688533683865.png

Center section is just about done. The pic below is test fitting amps and 212 that will go on those shelves. *Well the Hellion is working as a placeholder.* Happy to say it all fit how it should and it is very sturdy. I left things to sit like that for a bit while I ate lunch and nothing collapsed on itself. I did add a round-over on the front and sanded everything clean.

Everything is coming along nicely and it should look pretty good when it's all finished, but...... Damn this has been a big project. I was thinking with taking this week off from work, I'd have it done by Friday or Saturday. I don't think that's going to happen. Like most projects it's a bit more of an undertaking than I initially thought it would be. At least it's only more time and not more money. The plan now is to go as far as I can tomorrow and take a break through the weekend. Next week I'll do a little bit in the afternoons after work and maybe finishing up that weekend.

1688586029617.png

I didn't expect to complete it before the end of the week. I managed to find a groove fitting up the rest of the shelves and got a lot more accomplished than I expected. I made it where all I needed to do is apply a coat of clear and set it all up.

Well I say it's complete, but I do have one last thing I want to do. The top isn't 100% done. I want to round over the front and actually attach it. Right now it's just sitting on top.

After about 2-1/2 weeks of working on it... Here is the final product.
If you're wondering about the empty headshell; that was going to be for the IronHorse amp, but that feel through. So now I'll use it for the N5X amp kit that I just received.

1688928859576.png

Last edited:
This is awesome. You have so many amps with custom colors/coverings it is crazy.
PS sell me your Peters, look how boring it is, it's just regular black tolex I think you need an upgrade:ROFLMAO:

This is awesome. Nice work!

Question: do you worry about amps with the cooling/venting on the top when stacking in these shelves? Airflow is ok for that?

This is awesome. Nice work!

Question: do you worry about amps with the cooling/venting on the top when stacking in these shelves? Airflow is ok for that?
No worries about venting. There's more than enough space behind the amps and the back & sides are open to allow for adequate air flow.

Amazingly colourful amp collection. You must be sponsored by Crayola.

Last edited:
Smart move getting the lumber yard to mill the boards - that's a real time-saver. And, gluing up the side walls looks like it's coming along nicely. Those pics show some serious craftsmanship. However, I would also incorporate higher-quality hardware to make the process easier.
I can't wait to see the final result. It's so satisfying to build something with your own hands, isn't it? Keep up the fantastic work, and I'm sending you all the DIY vibes for the rest of the project.

Last edited:

Back