Steel Panther Satchel's gear!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
This guy has great tone.
what strings/picks/pickups/amps/efx is he using?

YouTube is your friend. That, and studio magic. Russ is an awesome player who sounds great through anything - has for decades.

Well he mostly uses kramer guitars now with duncan pick ups. As for amps he mainly just uses whatever back line amps are available at a show. I hung out with Steel Panther in their dressing room after they played at the house of blues in dallas and all they travel with are their guitars. For what they do its just way more cost efficient to use backline. Not sure what they used in the studio for their records but would like to know that myself haha

last i remember reading he was using an evh 5150 III head, and a custom kramer guitar. i dont remember where i read that and i could be wrong about it, but i thought i remembered reading something about it somewhere

yeah that cute girl Rebecca Dirks? interviewed Satchel in a video someone posted here on Rigtalk awhile back.....i think he mentioned EVH 5150 III and he does use those new Kramers....he stayed in character and continued goofing around...never got into effects i don't think

I saw some concert footage with some JVM's, but as it was Japan, I'm going out on a limb and guessing rental.

Recent vid here. 5150III's (one is a back up, isn't powered up) = great tone
Using channel 3.

He used to use JVMs for quite a while. I saw them in LA at the end of '09 and that was what he was using. I know he now uses 5150 IIIs.

Who even makes Kramers any more? Is it still Gibson owned?

How odd is it that he doesn't even have a backup axe? What happened to the tiger kramer? I do admit that I respect the hell out of him for changing the string on the fly like that. I usually have to lay my axe on my lap to change strings..broken string during a gig with a floyd seems to be a major panic for me with the small bits that are easy to lose or drop!

The 5153 sounds killer here though.. is the mini 5153 essentially the same thing sound wise?

Kapo_Polenton":3mf7qgjd said:
How odd is it that he doesn't even have a backup axe? What happened to the tiger kramer? I do admit that I respect the hell out of him for changing the string on the fly like that. I usually have to lay my axe on my lap to change strings..broken string during a gig with a floyd seems to be a major panic for me with the small bits that are easy to lose or drop!

The 5153 sounds killer here though.. is the mini 5153 essentially the same thing sound wise?
No one knows, its not out yet (unless you want to go off of the NAMM vids on youtube). Its marketed though to be exactly the same tone wise but in a smaller package.

Kapo_Polenton":3qaj5fyw said:
How odd is it that he doesn't even have a backup axe?

They actually rent gear for every show and their "home venues" in Vegas and California have their gear stored like a house band.
True rockstars haha

I totally just went off on an internet tangent and watched Steel Panther vid's for the last 30 minutes :lol: :LOL: Love that band :rock:

nevusofota":nblrea9a said:
Using channel 3.

Do people really find that entertaining? :confused:
Damn. :bleh:

Badronald":1a6xfyd7 said:
nevusofota":1a6xfyd7 said:
Using channel 3.

Different strokes for different folks. Its what makes the world go round.

nevusofota":3tzaupyk said:
Badronald":3tzaupyk said:
nevusofota":3tzaupyk said:
Using channel 3.

Different strokes for different folks. Its what makes the world go round.

Yup. ;)

I need to go check these guys out. Seems like a really good time.

Badronald":38hftk19 said:
nevusofota":38hftk19 said:
Using channel 3.

Very. They are awesome, their albums are awesome and people love them. I can't wait to see them Jan. 4th in NYC. I have been trying to see them for a long time, but they mostly play the west coast and when they leave there, they sell out immediately. Last time they were here, they sold out in like 5min. I think for this album they are touring more, which is awesome. They are not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine with me. A lot more people like Justin Bieber and John Mayer who I don't get, so to each his own. Steel Panther is about 80's hair metal, great guitar playing, and a sense of humor. Sort of like a modern Spinal Tap with much better chops.

i have searched a lot on what kind of pedal overdrive that guy use. its so clean :)
i cant find anything :S
anyone? would be really appreciate

If he uses the 5153 channel .It probably just a boost or eq .you dont really need anymore gain sustain

Back