Stuff you like to hear but not to play

• Thread starter Thread starter ClintN667
  • Start date Start date
C
ClintN667
I've noticed there are a few things that I like hearing other people use but hate when I use them. Namely single coils and hm-2's. I've never played an SLO but every time I've tried a reproduction of (plug in or modeler) I've hated it(I need to try one irl)

Do any of you guys have things that you like but just aren't for you?

My majesty’s were the easiest guitars in the world to play that I never wanted to hear. Incredible guitar to make things as easy as possible to play.

Whenever I plug them in, they sounded like ass compared to any other guitar in the house.

Rectifiers. I've owned probably 10 of them over the years from old two channel Rev F's through multi-watts but I never love the sound. They're on so many records that I love and I want to like them so much but they just aren't my thing.

Rectifiers. I've owned probably 10 of them over the years from old two channel Rev F's through multi-watts but I never love the sound. They're on so many records that I love and I want to like them so much but they just aren't my thing.
Hah!

Kind of related to the majesty comment above🤟🏻

Even though I really like my T-Verb, I’m in agreement with this.
For me it’s Super Strats/Ibanez RG’s etc. Have often heard good tones and know they were used on some records I really like, the obvious one being VH but every time I play one, they seem to not have enough meat, too gainy but twangy at the same time. But mostly they rarely have a neck profile I enjoy. Usually too skinny.
Some of them are very sexy and look cool but Gibson seems to do what I crave under the fingers and for my ears.

Same, i've never gotten along with them. The low end is just too flubby and indistinct, especially for my playing style. I like recto profiles on modelers better than real ones tbh. For some reason the low end is easier to control.

My majesty’s were the easiest guitars in the world to play that I never wanted to hear. Incredible guitar to make things as easy as possible to play.

Whenever I plug them in, they sounded like ass compared to any other guitar in the house.

I've never owned one but I totally agree. Every USA Majesty i've ever played has been a phenomenally set up, beautifully built thing.

They also sound like anodyne garbage to my ears :dunno:

Don't mean to offend any of the petrucci fans that dropped insane cash on these, but I absolutely hate the way they sound.

Even though I really like my T-Verb, I’m in agreement with this.
For me it’s Super Strats/Ibanez RG’s etc. Have often heard good tones and know they were used on some records I really like, the obvious one being VH but every time I play one, they seem to not have enough meat, too gainy but twangy at the same time. But mostly they rarely have a neck profile I enjoy. Usually too skinny.
Some of them are very sexy and look cool but Gibson seems to do what I crave under the fingers and for my ears.

I'm the same way. I absolutely cannot stand superstrats. The sound is definitely part of it - there's this weedy "boing" sound that I really fucking hate, especially with higher gain levels. The neck profile also fucking sucks for someone with hands as large as mine.

But I think mainly it's a side effect of the endless gigging grind in the club/bar scene in the PNW. Until you've catastrophically broken a string on a floyd and lost tiny pieces of hardware on a dark stage, I don't want to hear any bullshit about how floyds are such a superior design and every guitar should have them. They are obnoxious as hell, finicky, hard to tune and intonate, and have exponentially more failure points than any other bridge design. With a TOM guitar, I have literally broken a string at the start of a song, and restrung and retuned the guitar entirely in time for the solo and bridge of the song. Try THAT with a Floyd Rose lol

I absolutely cannot stand superstrats. The sound is definitely part of it - there's this weedy "boing" sound that I really fucking hate, especially with higher gain levels. The neck profile also fucking sucks for someone with hands as large as mine.

But I think mainly it's a side effect of the endless gigging grind in the club/bar scene in the PNW. Until you've catastrophically broken a string on a floyd and lost tiny pieces of hardware on a dark stage, I don't want to hear any bullshit about how floyds are such a superior design and every guitar should have them. They are obnoxious as hell, finicky, hard to tune and intonate, and have exponentially more failure points than any other bridge design. With a TOM guitar, I have literally broken a string at the start of a song, and restrung and retuned the guitar entirely in time for the solo and bridge of the song. Try THAT with a Floyd Rose lol
I felt the same way until I rolled my own. Musikraft big neck + decked NFT Floyd + lightweight body + cool custom nitro finish = a superstrat for big guys!

IMG_2691 (2).jpeg

I felt the same way until I rolled my own. Musikraft big neck + decked NFT Floyd + lightweight body + cool custom nitro finish = a superstrat for big guys!

View attachment 331566

It looks killer (especially the grain of the neck!) but I cannot help but think the only way I would be able to use it would be with a wilkinson/vega/fender style tremolo instead of that ghastly floyd rose :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 331566
I could definitely be into trying a super Strat if I could find a neck I liked. I don’t need a baseball bat but just a decent rounded C. Then maybe a pickup could be found that would make it sound more to my liking.

It looks killer (especially the grain of the neck!) but I cannot help but think the only way I would be able to use it would be with a wilkinson/vega/fender style tremolo instead of that ghastly floyd rose :ROFLMAO:
Thanks! I have a couple guitars with Gotoh trems but I thought the Floyd ‘look’ helped the aesthetic. I use a trem for one song currently so mostly it’s an afterthought for me personally

Thanks! I have a couple guitars with Gotoh trems but I thought the Floyd ‘look’ helped the aesthetic. I use a trem for one song currently so mostly it’s an afterthought for me personally

The build looks gorgeous though, especially that neck and the body paint

I could definitely be into trying a super Strat if I could find a neck I liked. I don’t need a baseball bat but just a decent rounded C. Then maybe a pickup could be found that would make it sound more to my liking.

At least in my experience, one of the best pickups for making superstrats and strats more rich and full is the duncan sh-14

It adds a subtle but noticeable low mid bump that really helps

I have an AllParts ‘FAT’ neck and 3 Warmoth ‘Fatback’ necks which I like but Musikraft did an incredible job here and I’ll be sticking with them if I buy another. Seemingly endless profile choices.

Oh and to the OP—pretty much any Mesa amp ever made. I love listening to others play ‘em, just not me.

I have an AllParts ‘FAT’ neck and 3 Warmoth ‘Fatback’ necks which I like but Musikraft did an incredible job here and I’ll be sticking with them if I buy another. Seemingly endless profile choices.

Oh and to the OP—pretty much any Mesa amp ever made. I love listening to others play ‘em, just not me.
I tried a Warmoth Fatback in the 90’s on a Tele build. Just way too much. I think it was 1” at the nut iirc.

Back