Stupid things you've done

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
311splawndude
311splawndude
Related to gear

I must be getting old but....

1. I've told the story before about how I accidently plugged my cab into the FX return of my Quick Rod. And then didn't hear any sound. :scared: Sadly- took me 5 minutes of checking everything but that. What. Still no sound? Let me try this? No? Next. No?

2. Last week I came home from being gone a bit and realized my Splawn had been left on (standby off) for about a week. :no:

3. Yesterday I unplugged my 4x12 at the cab with the intent of swapping to my 1 watt Blackheart and ended up plugging the 8 ohm tap of that amp into the 8 ohm tap of my Recto. And then didn't hear any sound. :doh:

Last edited:
Last week I came home from being gone a bit and realized my Splawn had been left on (standby off) for about a week. :no:
Left my L6 PODxt bean on for a couple o' weeks once. It lived atop a rack with a many-times-folded sheet over it (dust cover).

Somehow it was OK even after that prolonged period with insulation and zero ventilation.

Accidentally didn't plug my cab into my diezel. Thankfully nothing happened, it was for 10 secs.

Gave thorough responses to guys that almost never write more than one line or sentence or anything thoughtful. Just kidding. For something actual, I didn't look at these vintage power tubes I got recently carefully enough. They didn't have the guidepins (still can't believe I forget to check that), so I put them in my amp, ready to bias them, really excited to hear them, but then blew a screen resistor causing smoke to come out, but luckily it wasn't too pricy or bad of a repair for my tech to fix

Gave thorough responses to guys that almost never write more than one line or sentence or anything thoughtful. Just kidding. For something actual, I didn't look at these vintage power tubes I got recently carefully enough. They didn't have the guidepins (still can't believe I forget to check that), so I put them in my amp, ready to bias them, really excited to hear them, but then blew a screen resistor causing smoke to come out, but luckily it wasn't too pricy or bad of a repair for my tech to fix
You are always thorough :yes: We'll give you that :lol:

I actually somehow snapped the entire center post off the bottom of an old Mullard EL34 that I really liked. At first I was just stunned and perplexed. Then, when my senses came back around I removed the plastic post out of the socket with a wooden skewer and then marked the bottom and side of the tube with a sharpie line for where the guide would be so I can reinsert at a later date. Painful, but that still works today.

You are always thorough :yes: We'll give you that :LOL:

I actually somehow snapped the entire center post off the bottom of an old Mullard EL34 that I really liked. At first I was just stunned and perplexed. Then, when my senses came back around I removed the plastic post out of the socket with a wooden skewer and then marked the bottom and side of the tube with a sharpie line for where the guide would be so I can reinsert at a later date. Painful, but that still works today.
That's my style. It's just my way of treating others how I'd myself want to be treated, especially my lack of being diplomatic, but I see I also don't always want what the majority do lol, so I'm adapting, but saying things sound great (or even good) when they don't will never come from me

That's a bummer, but it's also happened to me a few times (I've got 100's of old tubes). With older gear that stuff will happen from time to time. It's worth the risk to me for the better tone when things actually work lol. Always trade offs

Last edited:
You are always thorough :yes: We'll give you that :LOL:

Here ya go, brotha. https://www.vivatubes.com/6-pieces-...r-missing-broken-guide-key-fix-repair-keyway/

Bought a Steve vai signature jem without first holding it up to sunlight. It was 11 pieces of wood glued together and it sounded like ass through my 5150.

I traded it for a prestige ibanez and the charvel I still have to this day years later.
I sometimes wonder if that's why some guitars like the Mayones (as one example) sound so sterile with those 11 (or was it 13) piece neck thru designs. They do look pretty I guess though

Back before I knew better I watched a video on biasing, the guy said to measure the milliamps across the 1ohm resistor. So I interpreted that as clipping leads onto each side of the screen resistor and setting my meter to Ma. Got a big old spark. Other than that I’ve been known to send a headstock or two into a ceiling fan.

I’ve unplugged my board live and didn’t realize till like halfway through the 1st song . Played it off like a champ 😂

I have also while trying to make some clips either forgot to hit record on the phone (for the video) or in Logic for the audio part. Always one or the other. Still a newb at recording. Or a few times I thought I had the perfect take just to later realize the gain was set too high on the mic's preamp, so the clip is basically not useable

Last edited:
I've left amps turned on for a few days at a time, usually on stand-by, once or twice completely powered on (always plugged into a cab thankfully)

Delayed starting our set at a live show for a solid 15 minutes because my rig randomly sounded like garbage. Spent the entire time super mad, checking tubes & cables, removing pedals from my board, etc... Turned out, the tone knob on my guitar was rolled all the way back.

Used to run my 5150 block letter lead channel with the gain on 8 (I was maybe 19 years old) had to run the old rocktron rackmount noise gate, wondering why I still had uncontrollable feedback.

Someone my grandmother cleaned a house for gave her a vintage ludwig 3 piece drum kit (shells only) that she gave to me when I was a teenager. I was certain I'd never have the means to purchase the rest of the kit, so I traded it for a $250 MIM strat with a coffin case.

Used my tuner in between songs, and managed to tune one string up to E standard while the other five remained in Eb.

Back