Synergy Amps - Thoughts?

spanny

Hey all! I've recently been really intregued by the concept of Synergy amps, has anyone had experience using them? I love the idea of still using pre and power tube amps with the ability of changing out modules, giving you access to a variety of different amps all at once.

I had a SYN2 running into a Mesa Strategy 400 .......... went through almost all the high gain Modules ..... landed on the Bogner Uberschall and the Fryette PittBull as my favorites .... one of the " less gain " type modules that surprised the hell out of me was the Metropolis Plexi ..... very cool ...

They're fun. Gets you more of the way there than most modelers, in my experience. Feels great, too. Enjoy it for what it is; don't try to approach it as an exact 1:1 of the amps they are based off of because it'll never be quite the same even if the preamp circuit is 100% identical.

They're fun. Gets you more of the way there than most modelers, in my experience. Feels great, too. Enjoy it for what it is; don't try to approach it as an exact 1:1 of the amps they are based off of because it'll never be quite the same even if the preamp circuit is 100% identical.
Yeah, I'm not looking for an exact 1 to 1, rather does it sound and feel good. I've had the same experience with modular as you, some are better than others, but definitely not the same. However I do enjoy using my Helix for effects!

Yeah, I have the Rack and 5 high gain modules. I like them a lot. They have the tube sound and feel. They are generally tighter and clearer than the heads they are based on. What power amp you use makes a big difference.

They sound really good, but you need a good poweramp to pair them with, and Synergy’s own poweramp isn’t much to write home about.

Paired with a good poweramp like a Fryette or Mesa or other high quality amp though, they’re pretty great.

I still have mine, very useful for recording. I haven't bought any new models for a long time though. My most used module is actually the Salvation Mods Camerock.

Fan Boy here, syn30 head, newer modules are even better than the OGs!
I am curious about the new DRECT!

I haven't bought modules for awhile either, but they usually go on sale a few times a year, so I will probably grab a few more next time they are on sale.

I am curious about the new DRECT!

I haven't bought modules for awhile either, but they usually go on sale a few times a year, so I will probably grab a few more next time they are on sale.
Just played the Drect, it's really cool! Still dialing it in, but it's taking me back to the late 90s and on. Bass past 12:00 sounds like thunder. It's pretty good, I had an Erect from Egnater back in the day. Something about a PRS into Rectifier in drop D...

LOVE mine. Syn 2 with my Fryette Powerstation. Lots of options, everything I've tried so far sounds great! Excited to try the new Dr Z module.

Another Synergy lover here… I have the 30W head and a Syn2 rack that I can run with any of my three power amps or into the return of any of a number of heads via DeLisle switcher.

Like others have mentioned as long as you are treat them as their own thing and do not expect them to be exactly the same as an amp head; you will likely be able to find some kind of combo (or more than one) that rocks.

Just played the Drect, it's really cool! Still dialing it in, but it's taking me back to the late 90s and on. Bass past 12:00 sounds like thunder. It's pretty good, I had an Erect from Egnater back in the day. Something about a PRS into Rectifier in drop D...
I have a Triple Recto that I run into a loadbox that I switch between with my Synergy rack. I am curious to see how the DRECT would compare with using the full amp like that.

What power amp you use makes a big difference.
This.

It might be an exaggeration to say 50% of an amp's tone is in the power amp, but not by much. Yes, even for high-gainers where most of the distortion is coming from the pre-amp. This why Code here is correct:

Enjoy it for what it is; don't try to approach it as an exact 1:1 of the amps they are based off of because it'll never be quite the same even if the preamp circuit is 100% identical.

They sound really good, but you need a good poweramp to pair them with, and Synergy’s own poweramp isn’t much to write home about.

Paired with a good poweramp like a Fryette or Mesa or other high quality amp though, they’re pretty great.

This. I personally loved the 2C and Deliverance modules - most of the modules I didn't care for, well I didn't care for the amps they were based on in the first place. They're generally really good.

Also the difference between using the synergy power amp and a boogie 2:90 was absolutely nuts. The power amp situation is really key with these. I used a power station for convenience, but it sounded better with a dedicated power amp by far.

Lots of talk about the power amps, has anyone had experience running them direct?
Yes, Syn1 + Pittbull UL. Needs cab sim from DAW but very low noise, and is surprisingly dynamically responsive for DI. A different animal from the real UL head, no doubt, but has worked well for me into an 18i20.

Back