Tech 21 Fly Rig 5, anyone tried one of these

strungup":29wljftv said:
sbeirnes":29wljftv said:
Is there any way to defeat the cab sim? I would like to use it as a preamp into a power amp/cab or into the effects return of an amp. Trouble is, the built in sim will be on top of the real cab.

Has anyone tried using it the way I am thinking?

In a perfect world, it would have two outputs . One to go straight to the FOH (with cab sim) and a second output without the sim that I can use as described above for my on stage sound/monitoring.

If you are using the fly rig 5 with an amp just don't click on the sans amp section. In its current form you can't do both but you probably could use it with a power engine 60 as a monitor and from that to the PA or something similar. I have used it into the effects return section on an amp but still use the sans amp part if the fly rig is my preamp. It sounds better. If I was going into the front of the amp I wouldn't use the sans amp feature.

I wouldn't want to run it into the front end of an amp but into the effects return. I am going to grab one of these.

SFW":bjl7vm3m said:
How much gain is really on tap. Can it get modern rock tones?

Everybody has a different idea on the amount of gain they use so that might be harder to answer. I think it can cover modern rock, others might want more gain. The signature version might be a little hotter than this version when it comes out as well. The gain side is based on their plexi pedal, so it can do hotter or modded plexi territory. The plexi side can also be added to the sans amp side so how you set up that side will factor into the total gain. I can switch from my LP to my tele without feeling the need to adjust the gain on the sans amp channel but if I just brought my tele I would probably run the gain higher on the sans amp side of things. If it matters I don't use all the available gain when I play so I think it has plenty for me.

sbeirnes":2syztj8x said:
Is there any way to defeat the cab sim? I would like to use it as a preamp into a power amp/cab or into the effects return of an amp. Trouble is, the built in sim will be on top of the real cab.

Has anyone tried using it the way I am thinking?

In a perfect world, it would have two outputs . One to go straight to the FOH (with cab sim) and a second output without the sim that I can use as described above for my on stage sound/monitoring.

Putnam Guitars offers a mod to this unit to defeat the cab sims. He now also offer the phantom power mod on this unit the Ritchie Kotzen also uses to power his wah pedal. I like a simple set up as well and am sending my Fly Rig and Wah pedal to Putnam tomorrow to have both mods done to my Fly Rig.

Looks to be a cool backup option. I might get one just to use for p&w, so I can just leave it there. Currently carrying a small pedalboard back and forth.

Only thing I wish it had is an Xlr out....

I didn't know they were developing a custom Fly Rig. I'm interested in seeing it. I was going to get the standard one and still may as I've always been a huge fan of Tech 21 products. I used to use one of their pedals that had 3 different amps and cab selections, etc, and it would work direct and it sounded very, very close to a Marshall in my humble opinion. It was stolen! Damn still made about that.. hehe

Anyway, the fly rig sounds like a great idea.. I could use it straight into the pa where I go to play for fun at a bar where a bunch of fellows leave their equipment, etc,. and so I could just use it with the PA.

strungup":3bgvgu2e said:
I think the unit is great. I bought it as back up for gigs. It is better than I expected and now use it for all of our practices running it straight into the board. I might not even bother with amps at gigs either.

That's a great idea. I know a lot of people, me included are tube amp nuts, and I normally prefer the same, but man, I think Tech 21 has something with their stuff, even though it's solid state. It's funny. A lot of guys will buy a huge expensive tube amp and then use a bunch of solid state pedals to alter it's tone! LOL..
I've been wanting to try one, and use in front of my Marshall Hybrid amp that I recently purchased for it's effects. I don't want the sans amp though, but I understand you can just turn it off.. So, if I could use it's delay and boost features it would be perfect for me.. :) Plus if you're amp bites the dust you have something to go direct with. I just wish they'd put an xlr or two out, but maybe that would have taken up too much room, and there are loads of things out there for that kind of in's and outs, so maybe they figured they'd stick with keeping it simple. Smart I think..
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.. If you have any clips of the thing please post. I'd love to hear it from someone that's actually had to buy it and use it.. :)
T

ThrowBackMan":12c7hldl said:
reverymike":12c7hldl said:
Kotzen has a tuner built into the base of his volume knob - pretty sweet, and stealthy.

What company makes a tuner on your volume knob pot? Anyone?

N-Tune. I don't think they are in business any longer but you can still pick up used ones on e-bay. I have one on my Strat. Great unit. I don't understand why it didn't take hold. You can silently tune anywhere and unlike a headstock tuner, a noisy room won't affect it at all and it's true bypass.

Have a fly rig coming in on tuesday. Looking forward to trying it out...hopefully it;'ll work on my small board and I can sell my H9 core as I only mainly use it for verbs...

SkyhighRocks":343rjnix said:
Have a fly rig coming in on tuesday. Looking forward to trying it out...hopefully it;'ll work on my small board and I can sell my H9 core as I only mainly use it for verbs...
Post some playing if you don't mind! I have to get one! I'm wanting one to jam with some friends.
They have a setup at this bar here locally where they use a PA and several small amps, but I
just want to go direct. I'm trying to build a small pedal board just for such jams, but with this Fly
Rig I could take a guitar of choice and stick the thing in the case and be ready to jam! Love it..
Thanks so much..
T

Yeah, I might have to wait myself, but I'm tempted at the price they are at now to just make the jump! But, I bet the kotzen model will be cool!

Picking one up tomorrow!, Has anyone heard of a switchable mod that can bypass the delay/sansamp-reverb to an effects loop? or is there any dedicated place online for FR5/RK5 mods?

Cheers!

Back