Ted Templeman Van Halen Sessions

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
where the hell do i buy these demos?!!

Download them from YouTube. That's what I did. They're on my computer so I can put music on a USB flash drive or burn 'em to a CD, but I don't bother because I run the audio out from my computer into a Line 6 DI-S interface into a vintage Onkyo stereo receiver into 100 watt Sony speakers. Sounds friggin' great.

Last edited:
where the hell do i buy these demos?!!
Back in the day I would get my bootlegs and unofficial recordings at hole in the wall record stores all across the Bay Area and then I started trading and DL’ing them when that became all the rage . That one in the picture I got at a place online called Disc Japan but it got shut down last year . There’s a place called RZ records online that has a bunch

Back in the day I would get my bootlegs and unofficial recordings at hole in the wall record stores all across the Bay Area and then I started trading and DL’ing them when that became all the rage . That one in the picture I got at a place online called Disc Japan but it got shut down last year . There’s a place called RZ records online that has a bunch
I downloaded them all from newsgroups, about 20 years ago.

I downloaded them all from newsgroups, about 20 years ago.
The first VH boot I got was Philadelphia 1981 , from those catalogs you could send away for in the classifieds section in Circus magazine. I was able to get a bunch of shows I attended here in the Bay Area like VH , Sabbath , Scorpions

Great stuff! I used to collect stuff like this all the time, but got away from it. Looks like I have some catching up to do. Thanks for sharing!

I started trading boots in the early 90s, then Looney Toones (I was on the list) consolidated it and filled in some gaps. Working with the band in the 90s meant I got some of these fun extras a long time ago with an implicit nda.

I started trading boots in the early 90s, then Looney Toones (I was on the list) consolidated it and filled in some gaps. Working with the band in the 90s meant I got some of these fun extras a long time ago with an implicit nda.

That’s awesome! In what capacity were you working with the band?

The underground bootleg store in my town in the early 80s was fantastic. I got a VH one called Die Laughing on LP. It was their show at the Pasadena Civic Center in 1977, just after they had signed to WB, but before the first album was to be released. Of course, I lost it and the cassette copy over the years and then found it in CD format at the Orange Co. Guitar Show a few years ago, called Civic Pride. It's now in regular rotation in my iTunes. Geezus, they were on fire then and the guitar tone is to die for.

That’s awesome! In what capacity were you working with the band?
I demo’d Ed’s new (at that time) Peavey guitar for guitars shows, then was asked to help with their first website. I wrote the equipment section and did interviews. However, this (it was thought by Ed) section took attention off the new stuff Ed was doing and was eventually cancelled.

It was no big deal really. All volunteer. Did get to hang with Ed a bit and invited out to California to jam at 5150 but I was getting married at the time and didn’t get around to it.

WTF. This is just amazing. Whole new perspective on VH. This is epic.

What a talent, talents , amazing musician's damn

Red Zone and Act Like it Hurts are freakin' AMAZING!

Alternate take of Act Like it Hurts

still such great tone. for me this is the benchmark and as heavy a guitar sound as i’d ever need or want.

bought the ‘77 live a pasedena civic center LP back in 81-82. great quality.

always wished this one was released in HQ because DLH and EVH were firing back in 76!

Back