The Ultimate Super Strat

• Thread starter Thread starter Techdeth
  • Start date Start date
Im a big fan of the Ernie Ball Jason Richardson as well the JP's.

Ibanez RG customs, ESP MII/MIII, caparison, Jackson, and Schecter are my preferences.
Ibanez J Custom also makes KILLER guitars!! I have been trying to find the Texas special for a long time. Even though it was built at J Custom I guess the headstock says prestige. Ebony fretboard!! They made a J Custom the year before very similar to this. They made the Texas special in 3 colors, a total or either 12 or 15 were made in each color, that’s it. I sure would like to find one.

Attachments

• 75CFF7BB-BA19-4AD5-8FBF-7FAFAAFF40D9.jpeg
    75CFF7BB-BA19-4AD5-8FBF-7FAFAAFF40D9.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 44
Ibanez J Custom also makes KILLER guitars!! I have been trying to find the Texas special for a long time. Even though it was built at J Custom I guess the headstock says prestige. Ebony fretboard!! They made a J Custom the year before very similar to this. They made the Texas special in 3 colors, a total or either 12 or 15 were made in each color, that’s it. I sure would like to find one.
These might be my fav

08/09 and vintage Charvel/Jackson USAs are my thing. That said, played a 1991 Hamer USA Centaura for 17 years, with an 87 Ibanez RG 550 as a backup. Also great.
If I were you, I’d order a Chubtone and call it a day. 15-1700 for a new custom shop USA guitar is about as good as it gets

Attachments

• F69B7699-967F-4A82-A9CE-40E248C53702.jpeg
    F69B7699-967F-4A82-A9CE-40E248C53702.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 338A9D90-F361-459A-9EC2-FA5B0C36BCCA.jpeg
    338A9D90-F361-459A-9EC2-FA5B0C36BCCA.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
I've had a serious itch for a Chubtone. All the goodness of my favorite 80's superstrats.
I was going to order a superstat from them first but then I saw that they could do an explorer. So I went with them on an Explorer built and its one of the best calls I've made in a long time. I'm definitely going to order another guitar from them as soon as they start taking orders again.

08/09 and vintage Charvel/Jackson USAs are my thing. That said, played a 1991 Hamer USA Centaura for 17 years, with an 87 Ibanez RG 550 as a backup. Also great.
If I were you, I’d order a Chubtone and call it a day. 15-1700 for a new custom shop USA guitar is about as good as it gets
Chubtone are incredibly bad ass guitars. And you can’t beat the price. They play and sound great.

I was going to order a superstat from them first but then I saw that they could do an explorer. So I went with them on an Explorer built and its one of the best calls I've made in a long time. I'm definitely going to order another guitar from them as soon as they start taking orders again.
Aw man, they're not taking orders right now?

I don't know about best, but this one does not suck! EBMM Ball Family Reserve Cutlass.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
For Charvel S/S guitars...if you don't want to pay Charvel USA custom shop prices it looks like Chubtone has the best price in town as others have said. I've also seen some nice press on Palermo guitars out of Canada( I think).

I like old Kramers and have not played any of the newer Kramers but they don't use basswood like EVH does. I had a MIM Charvel San DImas that was alder and that body had nice resonance and weight to it. The 1000 series Floyd sucked but that can always be changed out.

Charvel, Jackson, Wayne, Luxtone, Chubtone in no particular order, all have the basic DNA. Chubtone is the best value though, hands down.

I’ve always plays 8 strings and Gibsons if a 6 string . If I was to check out some super strats what’s the best of the best to you guys .
Do your 8 strings have square-ish body edges like many Gibsons or round body edges like many Strats? IMO, that makes a huge difference in the feel of the instrument. Square-ish body edges give you a more firm anchor.

Do your 8 strings have square-ish body edges like many Gibsons or round body edges like many Strats? IMO, that makes a huge difference in the feel of the instrument. Square-ish body edges give you a more firm anchor.
My 8s are strat shaped

My 8s are strat shaped
That makes the options almost endless. It then comes down to what’s important to you. From body woods, bridge types, string height from body, controls and pickup configs down to Volume control placement. Chubtone is a great option, Curt/Matt are awesome. Either that or a lot of trying/buying or buying/trying.

I say that because my ultimate super strat target has changed over the years after building several. Instead of being the ‘everything guitar’ I just want a great, simple guitar.

That makes the options almost endless. It then comes down to what’s important to you. From body woods, bridge types, string height from body, controls and pickup configs down to Volume control placement. Chubtone is a great option, Curt/Matt are awesome. Either that or a lot of trying/buying or buying/trying.

I say that because my ultimate super strat target has changed over the years after building several. Instead of being the ‘everything guitar’ I just want a great, simple guitar.
Chubtone looks amazing

Set your way back machine to the original 80’s USA made Kramer Jackson and other course Ibanez guitars.

These days 🤷

Back