Tips on making high quality guitar vids?

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteShadow
  • Start date Start date
WhiteShadow
WhiteShadow
Hey guys,

I'm kind of a novice at making video content for YouTube, Tiktok, instagram, etc...

I'm HORRIBLE at recording/mixing in DAWs. Everything I try to record just comes out sounding wonky and terrible. But if I just film things with my phone, it just looks/sounds low quality too. I'd like it to be at least somewhat professional looking/sounding. I don't mind if it doesn't sound like a record or look like a network TV show, just as long as it looks and sounds good.

Do you guys have any tips, gear recommendations, etc...? I've got few GoPros, the best one being a Hero7 Plus.

People don't actually play on this Forum..
We just collect Gear and brag about it..
giphy.gif

Hey guys,

I'm kind of a novice at making video content for YouTube, Tiktok, instagram, etc...

I'm HORRIBLE at recording/mixing in DAWs. Everything I try to record just comes out sounding wonky and terrible. But if I just film things with my phone, it just looks/sounds low quality too. I'd like it to be at least somewhat professional looking/sounding. I don't mind if it doesn't sound like a record or look like a network TV show, just as long as it looks and sounds good.

Do you guys have any tips, gear recommendations, etc...? I've got few GoPros, the best one being a Hero7 Plus.
I hate posting because I’m horrible at recoding. Phones are just ehhh. Better than 1983 but there is way better shit out there. I need some ease in my life. Here is my life… I can fix an aneurysm but I cant figure recording technology. @GearGasms .. since you have been tagged.. or anyone else for that fact. “Help us obi-wan. You are our only hope”.

Don't sweat it, I always get trolled for my content!

I just record straight to a phone, never would say anything on my youtube was "professional", though Seymour Duncan has sent me pickups and reposted my videos and there's a few pedal companies that have reached out and sent me products too. Most of the assholes on the forum would say I can't play and am a spoiled rich kid because I have stuff they can't afford but I worked hard for the things I've owned for 50 years so I drown out the negativity and the trolling.

Some of my videos below:

I also don't use software for post-editing because I feel like that doesn't give the pure "in the room" sound. My phone picks sound up decent enough.

Don't sweat it, I always get trolled for my content!

I just record straight to a phone, never would say anything on my youtube was "professional", though Seymour Duncan has sent me pickups and reposted my videos and there's a few pedal companies that have reached out and sent me products too. Most of the assholes on the forum would say I can't play and am a spoiled rich kid because I have stuff they can't afford but I worked hard for the things I've owned for 50 years so I drown out the negativity and the trolling.

Some of my videos below:

I also don't use software for post-editing because I feel like that doesn't give the pure "in the room" sound. My phone picks sound up decent enough.

Your videos seem straight to the point and not gimmicky. You don't play my style of music. But I appreciate what you are doing. I am so sick of all the shill fucks

Hey guys,

As far as the audio, the easiest way to make it sound "professional" is impulse responses.

Micing up a guitar cabinet properly is difficult for lots of people, and the IR revolution is basically what makes it possible for youtubers to crank out content.

It's also why 80% of youtubers all sound the same; they use the same IRs. But it certainly sounds "professional" and like they know what they are doing.

I would work on some sort of digital or hybrid setup, where you can mess around with IRs if you want to get into that game.

The video is similarly simple; most cameras kickass nowadays. Your Hero7 is probably comparable to what most big youtubers are using. The main thing that makes video look nice, especially for youtubers, is the lighting - not the actual cameras. The cameras on a 5 year old Iphone or tablet or whatever are probably fine for the actual capturing of the video... what makes it look sharp and focused is the lighting.

Micing up a guitar cabinet properly is difficult for lots of people,
If you can't mic a guitar cab using something like basic like an SM57 then they should take away your guitar. How do you even screw something like that up?

If you can't mic a guitar cab using something like basic like an SM57 then they should take away your guitar. How do you even screw something like that up?
A lot of people have trouble getting levels right in daw. The ir takes away a lot of fiddling and lets you get straight to it.

I have done both ways. I like my mics too much. But line out to speaker IR is convenient as fuck

If you've listened to some of the 57 demos out there, you know damn well that people can't do it and complain about it being hard LOL

That, and volume, are why all the youtubers use IRs - its idiot proof

A lot of people have trouble getting levels right in daw. The ir takes away a lot of fiddling and lets you get straight to it.

I have done both ways. I like my mics too much. But line out to speaker IR is convenient as fuck

It absolutely is

Its unfortunate that so many content creators use the same 5 IRs though, its really watered down guitar tones in general

There's something super satisfying about getting multiple mics in phase and getting the perfect combination that can never be replicated exactly

There's something super satisfying about getting multiple mics in phase and getting the perfect combination that can never be replicated exactly
I guess either I time traveled ahead 20 years or the world passed me by cause I didn't even know about IR's until earlier this year. The whole concept is shit if you ask me. It's no different than sitting down and eating a lab grown burger and saying oh i'ts delicious. Yuck. It's convenient. It will be even more convenient when the digital box plays the guitar part for you, just wait. If I sound the alarm I sound like a crazy guy but I still want to sound the alarm.

I guess either I time traveled ahead 20 years or the world passed me by cause I didn't even know about IR's until earlier this year. The whole concept is shit if you ask me. It's no different than sitting down and eating a lab grown burger and saying oh i'ts delicious. Yuck. It's convenient. It will be even more convenient when the digital box plays the guitar part for you, just wait. If I sound the alarm I sound like a crazy guy but I still want to sound the alarm.

I both agree and disagree

I don't think the technology itself is the problem - but the way people have used (and abused) it certainly is a big fucking problem

as an example: listen to any of the medium to bigger "metal" youtubers - Fluff, Frogleap, Agufish, Steve Terrible-berry, Glenn Fricker

They all use the same god forsaken 57 + mesa oversized 4x12 IRs in all of their shit, and they all have the exact same exhausting, boring youtuber guitar tone

This isn't limited to the "modern metal" guys either: Robert Baker is a severe offender for the basic bitch "rock" section of youtube

I mostly only use IRs of cabinets and mic setups that I made myself for my own convenience, but i still mic cabs up just because it feels correct

I both agree and disagree

I don't think the technology itself is the problem - but the way people have used (and abused) it certainly is a big fucking problem

as an example: listen to any of the medium to bigger "metal" youtubers - Fluff, Frogleap, Agufish, Steve Terrible-berry, Glenn Fricker

They all use the same god forsaken 57 + mesa oversized 4x12 IRs in all of their shit, and they all have the exact same exhausting, boring youtuber guitar tone

This isn't limited to the "modern metal" guys either: Robert Baker is a severe offender for the basic bitch "rock" section of youtube

I mostly only use IRs of cabinets and mic setups that I made myself for my own convenience, but i still mic cabs up just because it feels correct
When you and Stevie Glitch were arguing in that other thread about modern guitarists being better or not it dawned on me that a whole generation of dudes are now out there that would probably fall flat on their faces if you plugged them into a 100 watt stack or other screaming loud amp because it's not controllable with a mouse. That's disgusting.

When you and Stevie Glitch were arguing in that other thread about modern guitarists being better or not it dawned on me that a whole generation of dudes are now out there that would probably fall flat on their faces if you plugged them into a 100 watt stack or other screaming loud amp because it's not controllable with a mouse. That's disgusting.

Oh I've seen it IRL before a couple times actually. There was a younger band that opened for us at a club gig, and he had a laptop rig (similar to Rsms type of setup, i believe) and his computer took a shit.

He borrowed some other band dude's 800+808 style setup

He was a bitchpicker, and played so light he had to crank everything up, and therefore was constantly, frantically working his volume knob trying to control it and keep it from feeding back. to the point where he was fucking up his bands set

There's also been a couple people at the open mic blues jams that have had similar problems, and did not come back

Most people are going to assume that you're exaggerating, but I actually know for a fact that you aren't LMFAO

I have a few S&M57's in here and it's easy enough but my problem is how much I have to move in the guest room every single time I record so straight to phone mic on the tripod it is, no regrets here. True 90's style YouTube guitar demos :)

For me, the thing i loved about IR when i had it is if I got a song in my head. I wanted to record it while i was still in a good mood and could remember it. The longer it took to get the recording setup, the better the chance i lost the magic. I am not a professional, but i come up with some shit i like every now and then, and i love to record it and share it with friends.

My videos get dragged because I talk for 45 minutes, but I have a niche group that seems to appreciate the attention to detail and honestly I just enjoy talking about schematics/circuits/history that kind of thing.

Personally I don't think recording to a phone is good. If you do, you need to have a really bright room with a window or a flood light or something. The audio quality will be awful because for the phone to be close enough to hear you speaking, your amp will be far far too loud and it will end up compressed by the software on your phone or on youtube (or both). The result is that you're talking, then the first note you play is super loud and quickly squished, and then every tone example after that until you start talking again sounds like crap because of the compression.

I'm a little stuck on trying to do everything analog, but I'm not too fussed with comparisons so I try a few different mic arrangements here and there. I would like to do more comparisons in the future but I just don't have the kind of time to dedicate to this hobby.

If I were you though, I would buy a loadbox, a lapel microphone, and a used camera like a Panasonic G7 or similar. Record your voice through the lapel mic on the recording app on your phone (ex. voice memos on iphone), record your guitar through the loadbox - if you are demoing an amp, use the amp and show the settings, if you are showing a guitar, take a few b-roll shots of the guitar or talk while you move the camera around at what you want to show, if you are showing your playing, set the camera up on a table or tripod and either talk to the camera or point the camera at the fretboard. Then combine the audio and mute the parts you don't want - this is what I do at least - I use the audio from the actual camera to line up the waveform of my talking mic and my guitar mics, then I mute the camera audio. Then I just delete sections of the audio that I don't want doubled (ex. I delete the talking mic parts where I'm playing the guitar, that way you only get the guitar audio straight from the IR/cab).

I know that's a lot of work, but if you want it to look good, separating things and taking quality recordings and then combining the best parts is what you need to do. A lot of these tiktok/instagram/facebook videos people upload are "pretending" to just be a phone recording but they actually have a whole process for this. Even stuff that looks like little gimmicks or stupid cuts/zooms/effects are all done in post. My videos are much longer but for example if I upload a 45 minute video, it took me an hour of prep work setting up mics, cameras etc, and probably 8 hours or so editing/layering/tracking in Premiere. And my videos don't even really look that good. I think people seriously underestimate the amount of time it takes to do right.

The other alternative is to buy some kind of interface and combine all of your channels and use something to input that audio to your phone. For example, I have a Focusrite 18i20, I could have a couple of mics plugged in and send all of that out through the line out to a headphone jack adapter on my iphone, and control what you hear (my voice, or guitar after effects) by flipping switches on the Focusrite. That's probably what I'd do to streamline things if all I cared about was 30 second tiktok clips.

You've gotten a lot of great advice @WhiteShadow in this thread already but if you want something down and dirty, cheap, no real mic placement, no software, etc you can consider one of these. You literally press a button and then pull the SD card and copy it to your laptop.

4V0581u.jpg

Back