Tips on making high quality guitar vids?

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteShadow
  • Start date Start date
You've posted several threads asking how to get "pro" quality recordings and every time people make suggestions you just say you've tried all that and to quit wasting your time

You've also posted good sounding recordings saying they are absolute trash and when people compliment them you are completely dismissive

I have a feeling this thread will go the same way

I started my YouTube channel using my iPhone in 2013. It's what I had. Ran that way until last year when I picked up a Zoom Q8n-4K. These days I usually run either my Kemper Stage or my 5150 III with TwoNotes Captor X directly into the camera. So, the audio is better, but my videos still suck. lol! I don't think I'm gonna get YouTube famous any time soon, as I just post random guitar related shit. But it's fun.... so...

2013:

2024:

[Amp into Reactive Load] or [good modeler] -> IRs -> interface -> DAW

That's the fastest and easiest way to make your guitar clips sound pro. The key to getting the best sounding high gain tones from there is finding the right IRs for you. They're more important than the amp for getting the best high gain tones, imo.

There's nothing inherently wrong with IR tech. Anybody who says they can tell the difference in a real cab/mic recording and an IR of that same mic/cab is full of shit. They can't. I agree with @DanTravis62 that you should probably audition a bunch of IR's and find what works for your specific purposes and what sounds best to your ear, rather than just going with some flavor of the month IR pack that some influencer was paid to say sounds good right now.

Aside from that, find an interface and a DAW you like. Make the recording process as frictionless as possible. Learn the DAW, setup hotkeys that work for you, and always keep anything you want to record staged and setup for recording. That way, when you get an idea, putting that idea to tape will be as simple as opening some program on your computer and hitting the big red button right at that moment.

If you want to make video, then use another camera or iphone to record video simultaneously with the DAW recording. At the start of the recording, click your hand against something on camera to give you a target to sync video and audio during editing.

The best free video editor I've found is called Davinci Resolve. It works for PC and I'm pretty sure it works for mac as well, and it's easily fully-featured enough to do anything you'd want to do on youtube. Within your video editor, import the iphone video and remove the audio. Then import your DAW audio alongside your video. OR, you can just take a picture of something and use that as your "video" while your audio plays. Use the hand click you did to sync up audio and video and start cutting and editing from there.

Last edited:
It absolutely is

Its unfortunate that so many content creators use the same 5 IRs though, its really watered down guitar tones in general

There's something super satisfying about getting multiple mics in phase and getting the perfect combination that can never be replicated exactly
I almost always mic up a cab unless I'm doing a multipedal or modeler then mono out straight into Cubase, using whatever they have on hand for the IR. But I'm far from a pro YT'er. I'm a weekend warrior.

For the OP - I did a series on making YT videos that is a bit of a chore to watch - I made it too early on, but all of the advice in it still applies. The videos are all titled thusly - part 1-5

How to Start a YouTube Channel​

You've posted several threads asking how to get "pro" quality recordings and every time people make suggestions you just say you've tried all that and to quit wasting your time

You've also posted good sounding recordings saying they are absolute trash and when people compliment them you are completely dismissive

I have a feeling this thread will go the same way

LOL yeah

"what's the secret to your guitar tones, I know you guys aren't telling me what it is"

Well, Geargasms and TotallyRad revealed all their secrets except for the soyface thumbnails. We already knew that was the true secret

My best tip would be… make more noise come from the amp and very little noise from your pie hole. Nothing more annoying than listening to some YouTuber drone on and on. Put any relevant info in the description and just play.

Back