Tom Anderson H3... what is it like?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rex Rocker
  • Start date Start date
Rex Rocker
Rex Rocker
I've been looking into these for a while. I've got a new guitar with a Duncan JB in the bridge which I like, but I don't love, and I kinda want to swap it out. These look cool with the oversized polepieces. But what are they like?

I've read they're a little dark and that they get along better with 1Meg pots. Is this true?

They are Ceramic, right? Oversized Ceramic or regular-sized? How hot are they? Are they comparable to the Duncan Distortion in terms of output? Gibson 500T? Or are they lower output?

Any info would be appreciated.

They are Ceramic, right? Oversized Ceramic or regular-sized?
Slightly oversized, flipped on its side.

The magnet is inserted between the coils as opposed to under them. Are they a little dark? I'd say all Anderson pickups are on the darker side, but they are NOT dull at all. They will sit perfectly in a mix, and due to their construction, they feel more Hi-Fi

Are they comparable to the Duncan Distortion in terms of output?

Less.

IMO a bit less than the DiMarzio Super Distortion, and it sounds smoother, not as distorted.

I'd say around the JB.

Do note that the H series do not feel like your average humbucker at all. There's no sag when you dig in in riffs. They're VERY hi-fi. Almost like Lace Alumitones.

Slightly oversized, flipped on its side.

The magnet is inserted between the coils as opposed to under them. Are they a little dark? I'd say all Anderson pickups are on the darker side, but they are NOT dull at all. They will sit perfectly in a mix, and due to their construction, they feel more Hi-Fi

Less.

IMO a bit less than the DiMarzio Super Distortion, and it sounds smoother, not as distorted.

I'd say around the JB.

Do note that the H series do not feel like your average humbucker at all. There's no sag when you dig in in riffs. They're VERY hi-fi. Almost like Lace Alumitones.
Great info. Thank you.

I guess I should be looking at the H3+, then, rather.

The guitar I have right now has a JB in the bridge which I kinda like, but I wished it was hotter and more attacky.

I have an H3 in my TA. Definitely not as hot as a JB or DD. I have those in other guitars. It most closely resembles. a PRS Tremonti which I also have. Very similar. It’s mid 14k and ceramic

and Anderson pickups height settings are a little weird. They like to be a little further away. My H3 sounds right at 6/64s on the treble side and 5/64s on the bass side.

Last edited:
I've been looking into these for a while. I've got a new guitar with a Duncan JB in the bridge which I like, but I don't love, and I kinda want to swap it out. These look cool with the oversized polepieces. But what are they like?

I've read they're a little dark and that they get along better with 1Meg pots. Is this true?

They are Ceramic, right? Oversized Ceramic or regular-sized? How hot are they? Are they comparable to the Duncan Distortion in terms of output? Gibson 500T? Or are they lower output?

Any info would be appreciated.
These are not ceramic. Anderson humbuckers don’t use the original Seth Lover Design. Like single coils, the slugs are magnetized, whereas a standard Humbucker used steel pole pieces with a magnet underneath the coils. With Anderson humbuckers they are much more accurate single coils tone when split. Also as a result, there’s more magnetic pull on the strings. It’s just a hot pickup

These are not ceramic. Anderson humbuckers don’t use the original Seth Lover Design. Like single coils, the slugs are magnetized, whereas a standard Humbucker used steel pole pieces with a magnet underneath the coils. With Anderson humbuckers they are much more accurate single coils tone when split. Also as a result, there’s more magnetic pull on the strings. It’s just a hot pickup

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/pickups-22

The H humbuckers have ceramic magnets. The HN humbuckers have neodymium. The HC/HF humbuckers use alnico magnets.

I use the H3+, H2+ and H1-. They're very thick sounding, but they aren't harsh. There is just a lot of depth. The H3+ feels a little more fluid. The H2+ feels tighter, but it still has a lot of depth.

I love the H3+ in the bridge of Les Pauls and 25" PRS guitars. They thicken up the PRS to where it has the depth of a Les Paul. Although I haven't played one, the Rio Grande BBQ is described in a tonally similar fashion.

The H series are definitely ceramic, with a large ceramic magnet mounted on its side in between the coils

The HN series are magnetized Neodymium slugs. Sometimes steel poles with a Neodymium rubber magnet under them

The HC series are standard steel slugs with A5 magnets underneath

Attached is either the H1 or H3

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1722745057309.jpg
    FB_IMG_1722745057309.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 35
Great info. Thank you.

The guitar I have right now has a JB in the bridge which I kinda like, but I wished it was hotter and more attacky.
Tbh if you're looking for something that sounds and feels hot that's similar to the JB, I would just recommend the Suhr Aldrich

None of the Anderson pickups have that crisp attack of your standard high output humbucker

They're really their own thing.

The H series are definitely ceramic, with a large ceramic magnet mounted on its side in between the coils

The HN series are magnetized Neodymium slugs. Sometimes steel poles with a Neodymium rubber magnet under them

ok. That makes sense. The large edges are the poles vs the edges on a standard Humbucker and no magnet to pole contact like a standard humbucker either

Tbh if you're looking for something that sounds and feels hot that's similar to the JB, I would just recommend the Suhr Aldrich

None of the Anderson pickups have that crisp attack of your standard high output humbucker

They're really their own thing.
I think the Aldrich is actually smoother than the JB, though. I want hotter and more aggressive. I'm thinking of just swapping the magnet on the JB to Ceramic, but since it's a covered pickup, I think it may just be more trouble than it's worth.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I had, like, 6 JBs and 4 Aldrichs. I always thought the Aldrich was more aggressive and brighter, but it also had more bottom.

It all depends which guitar they're in...
I've got a H3 in this one in the bridge position :
PnhK0hp.jpg

The guitar has a basswood body with maple top.
I would describe the sound as too much treble (or high mids if you would call that) and a lot of bass...
It's lacking lower mids.
I have had a SH-4 (JB) in about 16 guitars and they never dissapoint.
Some guys prefer a Suhr Aldrich over a JB but I have an LP with and Aldrich and one with a JB and I like the LP with the JB more.
The Aldrich sounds too saturated, compressed...
There is a Seymour Duncan pickup that I like even more and that is a Custom 5.
The highs are rounder and it has tight bass and lower mids.

I agree, the H3 is kinda dark but it's thick sounding, and seemed to have enough attack for me. Listen to Crowbar's album "lifesblood for the downtrodden". That album was all recorded with a Gibson SG with an H3.

Thick, yet pretty clear and articulate still.

They are Ceramic, right? Yeah
Oversized Ceramic or regular-sized? No clue
How hot are they? Fairly hot. JB/Custom/Distortion-ish output. Around there.
Are they comparable to the Duncan Distortion in terms of output? Yeah, rough.
Gibson 500T? Feels hotter than this one
Or are they lower output? Definitely not low output

You wouldn't happen to know the height screw size by any chance would you? I emailed them a while back, but I got nothing. I guess I will just have to call Tom to get the answer. The regular 3/48 stuff is too small.

Great info. Thank you.

By what you're saying I'd go with the Duncan Distortion, it's basically a JB with a ceramic magnet I think? Lot's of attack in it and it's hot.

You wouldn't happen to know the height screw size by any chance would you? I emailed them a while back, but I got nothing. I guess I will just have to call Tom to get the answer. The regular 3/48 stuff is too small.

Unfortunately, I don't.

Yeah you're gonna have to wait for Tom or Markus to answer.

Back