Trying to perfect my Wet/Dry/Wet rig

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":0db67 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah that makes sense, I think the only Solid state ones that would be worthit are the ones that are atleast supposed to sound tube-like (H&H or Mosvalve).

Ideally i would prefer to go with 3 4x12 cabs with greenbacks in all of em, but to be honest i dont know how the hell i could lug around 3 cabs for gigs haha :D It would be worthit just to see the look on peoples faces when you bring in 3 cabs though LOL :rawk:

Yup, 3 4x12 cabs is a pain, but the look on their faces DOES make for some fun. Almost as much as hearing the under the breath comments, and then watching their expression when they hear the tone.

At Ralph's suggestion, I am running all G12-H30's and have never been happier.

BTW, I too use a Boogie power amp (Simul 395) and IMO, it crushes the SS tone

Is it possible to slave an amp to make it act like a poweramp for a W/D setup? I still don't have a poweramp, but I have 4 amp heads. Could I do this:

Amp A Line Out -> Effects -> Amp B Effects Loop -> Wet Cab

>|<>QBB<
Zachman":17004 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yup, 3 4x12 cabs is a pain, but the look on their faces DOES make for some fun. Almost as much as hearing the under the breath comments, and then watching their expression when they hear the tone.

At Ralph's suggestion, I am running all G12-H30's and have never been happier.

BTW, I too use a Boogie power amp (Simul 395) and IMO, it crushes the SS tone

If i can manage to carry around 3 cabs then you can be sure its gonna be done!! :D

I need to try a 4x12 with H30's with my Cameron and my MKIII, just to see if i prefer it! And the Boogie poweramp will happen at some point too :D

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":c06f9 said:
>|<>QBB<

If i can manage to carry around 3 cabs then you can be sure its gonna be done!! :D

I need to try a 4x12 with H30's with my Cameron and my MKIII, just to see if i prefer it! And the Boogie poweramp will happen at some point too :D

I think the H30's will be a match made in heaven, particularly w/ those amp choices. I like the Simul 395 above the others because you have switchable channels with individual voicings that you can use with it. seperate volumes, presence and deep modes all switchable via footswitch. Plus you can run it class A or A/B (simul-class). Very versatile. :wink:

stuff%20016.jpg

hob_20805_83.jpg

>|<>QBB<
Zachman":250b6 said:
>|<>QBB<

I think the H30's will be a match made in heaven, particularly w/ those amp choices. I like the Simul 395 above the others because you have switchable channels with individual voicings that you can use with it. seperate volumes, presence and deep modes all switchable via footswitch. Plus you can run it class A or A/B (simul-class). Very versatile. :wink:

Hey Zach, I didnt know that about the Simul 3:95. I dont know all that much about Mesa rack poweramps, im only really familiar with the MK series amps.

Is the 3:95 Simul expensive? Or say cheaper than a 2:90 or Strategy 500? I may have to look into getting one some time

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":95094 said:
>|<>QBB<

Hey Zach, I didnt know that about the Simul 3:95. I dont know all that much about Mesa rack poweramps, im only really familiar with the MK series amps.

Is the 3:95 Simul expensive? Or say cheaper than a 2:90 or Strategy 500? I may have to look into getting one some time

cheaper, but there is a pretty good deal on a 2:90 on ebay now ending in a few hours for around $600. I think I got my 395 around $400, not typical and they are getting more and more scarce nowadays.

Here is a cool link to the specs of the 395: :wink:

http://www.tubefreak.com/395.htm

>|<>QBB<
Zachman":a92ec said:
>|<>QBB<

cheaper, but there is a pretty good deal on a 2:90 on ebay now ending in a few hours for around $600. I think I got my 395 around $400, not typical and they are getting more and more scarce nowadays.

Here is a cool link to the specs of the 395: :wink:

http://www.tubefreak.com/395.htm

Thanks for the link man! some interesting stuff there :)

I heard real great things about the Strategy 400/500 poweramps.. ever tried one and if so how was it?

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":e776d said:
>|<>QBB<

Thanks for the link man! some interesting stuff there :)

I heard real great things about the Strategy 400/500 poweramps.. ever tried one and if so how was it?

ya, tried BOTH and they are killer sounding. the 500 I think uses different output tubes and sounds less squishy not in a better way IMO, if that makes sense,just different. The 400 is FREAKING LOUD!!!! and is one of my favorite sounding power amps of all time, but doesn't have the switchablity of the 395 or 500 (The two most versatile power amps that I've ever ever played).

John Sykes was using the MKIII coliseum w/ the 400 to get that white snake tone.

This is a clip of my MKIII Coli w/ the 395.

>|<>QBB<
Zachman":f9f80 said:
>|<>QBB<

ya, tried BOTH and they are killer sounding. the 500 I think uses different output tubes and sounds less squishy not in a better way IMO, if that makes sense,just different. The 400 is FREAKING LOUD!!!! and is one of my favorite sounding power amps of all time, but doesn't have the switchablity of the 395 or 500 (The two most versatile power amps that I've ever ever played).

John Sykes was using the MKIII coliseum w/ the 400 to get that white snake tone.

This is a clip of my MKIII Coli w/ the 395.

I love that heavy rhythm tone you get there, does the Coli sound much different to a normal MKIII? I have a Blue stripe MKIII with EQ/Verb/Simul-class and it kinda gets close but lacks the sheer crunch yours has..

Maybe its the tubes? What you got in yours?

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":5d14b said:
>|<>QBB<

I love that heavy rhythm tone you get there, does the Coli sound much different to a normal MKIII? I have a Blue stripe MKIII with EQ/Verb/Simul-class and it kinda gets close but lacks the sheer crunch yours has..

Maybe its the tubes? What you got in yours?

I am running 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's and am running through 12 12" speakers (G12-H30's), W/D/W. It has a way more massive output transformer than the regular MKIII (180 Watts), and does sound different than all of the other MK series amps that I've owned and played.

boogie%20back.jpg

stuff%20016.jpg

At some point im thinking i may sell my MKIII and when i do il be on the look out for a Coli, iv heard clips of a few of em and they all had THE sound i love. The Coli closer to what im after than the standard MKIII can sound like.

You got Mesa tubes in there? Mine at the moment has mesa EL34s and Sovtek 6L6's, and all JJ ECC83s in the preamp section. Im thinking it needs different tubes, what i have in there doesnt sound right to me

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":b110e said:
At some point im thinking i may sell my MKIII and when i do il be on the look out for a Coli, iv heard clips of a few of em and they all had THE sound i love. The Coli closer to what im after than the standard MKIII can sound like.

You got Mesa tubes in there? Mine at the moment has mesa EL34s and Sovtek 6L6's, and all JJ ECC83s in the preamp section. Im thinking it needs different tubes, what i have in there doesnt sound right to me

I have always used the mesa spax7 in v1 in all the MK amps I've owned, except for my MKIIB which used a fetron in v1, and matched Boogie power tubes too. BTW, NOT ALL Coliseums have the Simul-Class circuit in them and there were only approximately 200 MKIII Coliseums ever made. They do show up every now and then on ebay, but not too often.

What cab/spkrs are you using now? How are you setting your amp?

Here is a pic of my front settings: presence between 3 and 7 depending on my mood. Everything pulled on the front.

Boogie%20settings.jpg

>|<>QBB<
Zachman":732af said:
>|<>QBB<

I have always used the mesa spax7 in v1 in all the MK amps I've owned, except for my MKIIB which used a fetron in v1, and matched Boogie power tubes too. BTW, NOT ALL Coliseums have the Simul-Class circuit in them and there were only approximately 200 MKIII Coliseums ever made. They do show up every now and then on ebay, but not too often.

What cab/spkrs are you using now? How are you setting your amp?

Here is a pic of my front settings: presence between 3 and 7 depending on my mood.

Well my settings are practically identical to yours, but im using 25watt greenbacks in a marshall 4x12 cab. it can sound pretty awesome, but yours has a slightly different quality to the mids. Hard to explain but yours sounds so much meaner!!

>|<>QBB<
Code001":fe852 said:
Is it possible to slave an amp to make it act like a poweramp for a W/D setup? I still don't have a poweramp, but I have 4 amp heads. Could I do this:

Amp A Line Out -> Effects -> Amp B Effects Loop -> Wet Cab

Absolutely can as long as one of your other amps has an effects lopp.

You can take the line out of amp "A" go into your effects and send that to the effects return of the slave amp "B" You will have to be careful because when you go to the effects return of amp "B" that will be the full power of the amp blairing!! You will have to control the volume with your effects i/p o/p levels unless the loop of the slave amp has a level control.

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":b2460 said:
>|<>QBB<

Absolutely can as long as one of your other amps has an effects lopp.

You can take the line out of amp "A" go into your effects and send that to the effects return of the slave amp "B" You will have to be careful because when you go to the effects return of amp "B" that will be the full power of the amp blairing!! You will have to control the volume with your effects i/p o/p levels unless the loop of the slave amp has a level control.

Dude, i did this once without knowing the amp would be full volume blairing... im still amazed it didnt blow my cab to pieces LOL :o I have NEVER heard an amp that fuckin loud haha!

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":a7bb6 said:
>|<>QBB<

Well my settings are practically identical to yours, but im using 25watt greenbacks in a marshall 4x12 cab. it can sound pretty awesome, but yours has a slightly different quality to the mids. Hard to explain but yours sounds so much meaner!!

You may be hearing what the power amp adds

Back