Tube Testers ....... what are you guys using ????

• Thread starter Thread starter griff10672
  • Start date Start date
griff10672
griff10672
if anything at all ....
I must have 30 or 40 12ax7s hanging around ...... other than " they're working " ..... is there a way to test them ???

Those Orange Tube Testers are nice .... but you can't find one ...

V1 of my Trainwreck Express build.. That amp will reveal any noise or microphonics right away. If it lives there, it's good.
No, I don't have a Tube Tester..
:D

Local electronics shop still has an old-timey tube tester, so I use that. Results so far are unconfirmed.

I let god and v1 of my jet city sort them out. Outside of that the amplitrex testers are super cool, take a while to test tubes but they give you just about every number you could want. Insanely expensive though if tubes aren’t your business.

Also use a couple of Hickoks, but would love to buy one of the Amplitrex units one day......

I’ve been wanting to know this too.

I made the mistake of buying the Orange VT-1000 tester and that was a pile of shit. Not accurate whatsoever and made me burn out a few power tube sets. Preamp tube side of things I didn’t have any major issues.

I have a vintage Mighty Mite tube tester, probably from the early 60s. Tells me if they are good, and if there are any leaks/shorts. Good enough to prevent a bad tube from being installed and possibly taking something out in the amp.

I have a vintage Mighty Mite tube tester, probably from the early 60s. Tells me if they are good, and if there are any leaks/shorts. Good enough to prevent a bad tube from being installed and possibly taking something out in the amp.

I need to find one of those, they're supposed to be really good

Combination of things: old-school Dyna-Jet (checks shorts, grid emission & quality), a Vacuum Tube Valley preamp tube tester to check gain, balance and microphonics, and EuroTubes Pro1 for testing and biasing power tubes in-circuit.

I bought a Precision Tube Tester years ago for $40.00 that still works great for preamp tubes and el84's. I have the MaxiMatcher for the power tubes.

I use an EMC 211 to check for shorts and tube life. I'll use one of my amps for matching power tubes.

1698858464137.png

It's a little long, but this video was extremely helpful to me for picking the right one for my needs.

Back