Ugh, the raw neck on my new guitar spoiled me!

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt300ZXT
  • Start date Start date
Matt300ZXT
Matt300ZXT
I've been playing the shit out of my new Warrior with just a raw/oil finish on the mahogany/purpleheart-stripe neck with purpleheart fretboard and it's easy to get my speed/chops back up on that, but then I decided to give an old USA Washburn some attention with an all maple neck and board. The neck appears to be a satin finish, if any, and the fretboard has some gloss to it, but not a lot. Maybe it's just me needing to hit the frets with some 0000 steel wool or my Dremel with a lil polishing compound for shining the frets up....or maybe it's this damn Working Hands moisturizer that I put on like an hour ago, but I can barely play for shit on this thing.

BTW....lotions/moisturizers for extremely dry cracked hands that say they don't leave a greasy feeling are LYING to you. Since I'm working outside part of the day in the Maine winter, I've been having to use all these things to keep my fingertips from cracking TOO badly and they always leave a greasy, sticky feeling for an hour or two after application.

I keep some 1500 grit sandpaper on hand, and hit the back of the neck on my EVH B/W and worn 1973 LP necks to remove the skin cell buildup that occurs with an unfinished neck. Hit it with some lemon oil if you need to add back some of the slickness.

Ernie Ball Music Man uses this procedure on the back of their unfinished maple necks.

Best to use some extremely fine paper, then some oil to bring the grain up, let soak in & dry overnight,
… then one more fine paper run just to smooth out the grain that has raised up.

Then, apply the Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax with your fingers on the back of the neck. Rub it in good.

Let it sit & dry overnight.

Next day, take a SOFT cotton cloth and buff back of neck.

Done. You will not believe the difference.

IMG_5118.jpeg

I emailed Charvel years ago and this ^ is what they said they used. Been using it ever since. Had the wife throw one in my stocking last Xmas to make sure I’m never out.

I emailed Charvel years ago and this ^ is what they said they used. Been using it ever since. Had the wife throw one in my stocking last Xmas to make sure I’m never out.
Yes,
It’s incredible stuff👍

Back