Under appreciation thread

lester
lester
For me, Alex Lifeson, always loved Rush up until maybe Grace under pressure. But listening back, Lifeson has some really amazing parts. Solos, chord choices hell even tone.

I seem to remember, as a kid, thinking if they replaced him it may be an upgrade. Haha...nope.

For me, Alex Lifeson, always loved Rush up until maybe Grace under pressure. But listening back, Lifeson has some really amazing parts. Solos, chord choices hell even tone.

I seem to remember, as a kid, thinking if they replaced him it may be an upgrade. Haha...nope.
Backed hard. I remember back sometime in the 2000's some guitar mag did a top 100 rock guitarists and left Alex Lifeson out. Insane. I think sometimes people hear amazing music, and the guy is still alive and still ripping it and they just take it for granted. Think of all the iconic songs.

unnamed.jpg

I remember my guitar teacher in 1986 telling me he always thought of Alex Lifeson as the caboose of Rush….. which seems like a disrespectful statement but against who… Geddy and Neil… maybe true but Alex had lots of chordal bliss and really cool solos. Side B of Moving Pictures is really really good. I agree with later stuff being goofy. I was a huge rush fan in early and mid 80s. Still play some of their tunes

I have two. Vito Bratta and Criss Oliva. White Lion and Savatage. Both super melodic. Criss would have been something if he didn't get his life cut short. They were just starting the Trans Siberian Orchestra stuff before the trajedy. He was a riff monster also. Check out hall of the mountain king.

Vito was obviously influenced by evh but took it to different place. Super melodic riffs and leads.

I have two. Vito Bratta and Criss Oliva. White Lion and Savatage. Both super melodic. Criss would have been something if he didn't get his life cut short. They were just starting the Trans Siberian Orchestra stuff before the trajedy. He was a riff monster also. Check out hall of the mountain king.

Vito was obviously influenced by evh but took it to different place. Super melodic riffs and leads.
Criss will go down in history as the best unknown / little known guitar player. He is a big influence for me. He was incredible. Gone almost 31 years.

Criss will go down in history as the best unknown / little known guitar player. He is a big influence for me. He was incredible. Gone almost 30 years?

Yes huge influence on me also! I was fortunate enough to see Savatage live on the Hall of the Mountain King and Gutter Ballet tours.

I will never forget seeing Criss live. His tone was awesome. He absolutely ripped. Who knows what he would have become.

Savatage remind me of van halen in a way. Two brothers started a band together and were super talented and absolutely great song writers. Both guitar players were crazy awesome.

Under appreciated by critics, but then the entire band was.

Everything Rush did through Moving Pictures was fantastic. My personal favorite is Caress of Steel.

Back