Warmoth guitars, what are your opinions?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr. Willy
  • Start date Start date
bigdaddyd":2jsx1jl9 said:
glpg80":2jsx1jl9 said:
Capulin Overdrive":2jsx1jl9 said:
Carvin would be my choice

over warmoth anyday.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I do like Carvin, but they are apples and oranges here not one or the other. Besides, it is not like Carvin is a true custom shop, you can get a custom Carvin, but Carvin doesn't build whatever you want. I have played quite a few Carvin dogs, and quite a few awesome Carvins. The good thing with them is if you order one and don't like it, they take it back and will satisfy you. The customer service is very good from what I hear. Plenty of high end builders have been known to use Warmoth parts at one time or another in their own builds.

the fit and finish is better and you do get equally great quality.

i have played more necks from warmoth that were claimed AAAA birdeseye, but only green wood! not even fully curred!

never had a problem with carvin or musikcraft. plus carvins customer service is top notch. what more is there to argue when you know warmoth has no contest.

Temp Charvel Logo, simply because I have a few in the house.

The guitar's off to get the Headstock painted black this week and a new WHITE logo applied.

As for the other statements, the only fret work I did was to smooth the fret ends on mine. They were perfectly dressed and level already.

wolf5150":1jscro0q said:
Temp Charvel Logo, simply because I have a few in the house.

The guitar's off to get the Headstock painted black this week and a new WHITE logo applied.

As for the other statements, the only fret work I did was to smooth the fret ends on mine. They were perfectly dressed and level already.
My friend had no fretwork done on his either, they were good to go, it was all neck alignment and positioning, and getting the tailpiece adjusted. It did not need anything else, it played superbly. He played it beforehand and it was decent, but he knew it could be better.
50.00 changed it from decent to fantastic.
Just a note- I would shy away from Warmoths birdseye necks, they are either good or very problematic due to flexing, its kind of a crap shoot as to what you will end up with. Hardrock maple is a pretty sure bet as far as structural rigidity goes

glpg80":sluor2vx said:
bigdaddyd":sluor2vx said:
glpg80":sluor2vx said:
Capulin Overdrive":sluor2vx said:
Carvin would be my choice

over warmoth anyday.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I do like Carvin, but they are apples and oranges here not one or the other. Besides, it is not like Carvin is a true custom shop, you can get a custom Carvin, but Carvin doesn't build whatever you want. I have played quite a few Carvin dogs, and quite a few awesome Carvins. The good thing with them is if you order one and don't like it, they take it back and will satisfy you. The customer service is very good from what I hear. Plenty of high end builders have been known to use Warmoth parts at one time or another in their own builds.

the fit and finish is better and you do get equally great quality.

i have played more necks from warmoth that were claimed AAAA birdeseye, but only green wood! not even fully curred!

never had a problem with carvin or musikcraft. plus carvins customer service is top notch. what more is there to argue when you know warmoth has no contest.

Who is arguing? I said I respectfully disagree. Sorry that I don't share the exact same opinion as you, only a similar opinion as you since I think that Carvin makes good stuff, and musikcraft does as well. I have plenty of excellent Warmoth parts, all of which I bought used and they are equivalent to the best from Fender custom shop and to some Andersons that I had Tom make for me himself. Every company makes dogs...Carvin included. Out of the three you mentioned, I probably prefer Musikcraft/Jamerson for quality but that is just based on items that I have seen first hand. I don't doubt any of the companies could match it. My poiny was that Carvin will make you a custom Carvin, not a true custom.

bigdaddyd":3uti2ted said:
Who is arguing? I said I respectfully disagree. Sorry that I don't share the exact same opinion as you, only a similar opinion as you since I think that Carvin makes good stuff, and musikcraft does as well. I have plenty of excellent Warmoth parts, all of which I bought used and they are equivalent to the best from Fender custom shop and to some Andersons that I had Tom make for me himself. Every company makes dogs...Carvin included. Out of the three you mentioned, I probably prefer Musikcraft/Jamerson for quality but that is just based on items that I have seen first hand. I don't doubt any of the companies could match it. My poiny was that Carvin will make you a custom Carvin, not a true custom.

it just seemed you singled my opinion out, and then searched for another opinion to agree with and quote "This." as if someone who disagrees does not matter.

glad you have had great products from warmoth. but of the necks i have bought and played from them, anything recent does not match their previous quality. yes all guitars are subject to duds. but that does not change the wasted money i have spent building EVH guitars for others only to get sub-par quality.

i also agree that out of the three i have had the best luck with quartersawn maple necks from Musikcraft - especially for the price. and warmoth does offer custom options on headstock design and other amenities but at a cost - and even those guitars need extra care to make into a great playing guitar. fit and finish - Carvin does it better - much better than fender and against warmoth (minus the custom exotic) against warmoth as well.

i can only speak from my own experience. we agree on a few parts, but i wont be going to warmoth again.

Love mine!! :rawk:

Tele%20003.JPG

Tele%20006.JPG

Soloist%20001.JPG

Soloist%20010.JPG

More details can be seen here:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8334.0
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8584.0

Mr. Willy":16sxp4rs said:
I've considered another PRS like a CE model. My current PRS has a couple of small dings already. Believe me, I play it a lot. I just don't want to worry about someone stealing it. I keep my eye on my equipment like a hawk, but I just don't want it to dissappear. Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but this guitar has a lot of sentimental value. That's the main concern more than a ding or two.

True, no one can replace the sentimental value. I've been using musicians insurance, and while I still always keep the same close eye on my gear, it does make it less stressful in thinking that at least the financial value can be recouped and you can replace it. Good luck!

Back