Warren Demartini's amp(s) during 1989-1991?

• Thread starter Thread starter Paksu-aku
  • Start date Start date
Out of cellar were Frank’s Marshall’s ?
Negative.

In 83 Frank was nowhere near California. I think I read he was Billy Squier’s tech until 86 when he took the job at SIR in LA.

I seen them on the Out of the Cellar tour in Chicago and I seem to remember stacks of Laneys.

Negative.

In 83 Frank was nowhere near California. I think I read he was Billy Squier’s tech until 86 when he took the job at SIR in LA.
So we’re the put of the cellar amps really stock super leads?

So we’re the put of the cellar amps really stock super leads?
For the leads I believe a Rivera era Super Champ was used. For the rest, yes stock NMV Marshalls with maybe a pedal or something else goosing them; like a PQ3 maybe. Warren had a magical early 70s Tremolo(I know the feeling-I have a 72!) that was so good Lynch tried to steal it…it became a running joke between them

I saw them downtown at the Embassy ballroom with Lita Ford
Yeah the one with Kick Axe opening... Heavy Metal Shuffle.... then Lita Ford with her RED leather chaps went next then Ratt if I remember correctly.

We were probably at the same show LP...... that's too funny......:2thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah the one with Kick Axe opening... Heavy Metal Shuffle.... then Lita Ford with her RED leather chaps went next then Ratt if I remember correctly.

We were probably at the same show LP...... that's too funny......:2thumbsup:

Check it out 10 bucks. I met Steven Pearcy too..lol. And you’re right, Kick Axe opened the show. I didn’t even remember that but just looked it up on the net.

060F3357-563F-4CC4-9382-E93F036757BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Warren's tone for Lay It Down on the original record is played through a Soldano SLO 100. In the video you posted, his effects are a chorus and delay.
I saw Ratt when they were mostly unknown, as an opening band for Hughes/Thrall at Wolf & Rissmiller's Country Club (later to become Chuck Landis' Country Club) in Reseda, California, in 1981. Back then, Ratt only played through Marshall's.
Warren prefers Marshall and Soldano amplifiers, and Boss OD-1.
BTW, one of the guys here commented that Ratt were not huge because in his opinion, Ratt needed a better lead vocalist; NEWSFLASH: I was a full time pro musician throughout the 1980's, and Ratt were HUGE, regardless of whether anyone liked their singer or not.
Anyone my age (50s) knows that RATT was huge back then.

Saw Ratt open for an Ian Gillan fronted Sabbath in early ‘84 right before the release of OOTC . As you can imagine they didn’t go over good in front of a Sabbath crowd. Saw them 4x after when they were big and they were a hit and miss band live . Still love listening to their albums

The laneys were 60`s Laneys /plexi not the AOR junk same with VH when he said he was using some laneys live.
he's [along w/ mel galley] the reason i got this last yr. - [to pair w/ x head/s]

wE6mExP.jpg

jrHyheA.jpg

'69 supergroup

^That's a cool piece of history right there.

Every time people ask what famous artists use SLO's, this should be posted.

Wow. Lots of WRONG here. Levi wasn't even anywhere NEAR LA when Ratt hit big. He showed up long after Caswell left. Caswell modded the Marshall EVERYONE wanted; the 71 Tremolo WAY before Levi worked for SIR. Levi tried to rewrite history by bullshitting people later in the early 2000s so he could try and grab some business of his own; he could see what cash Caswell was making with his mods. After Caswell left SIR they hired Levi to try and clone the modded SuperTremolo everyone wanted. Levi wasn't in LA in 84/85 when the Caswell modded Tremolo was basically hired out for 6-12 months in advance. Frank Levi did some cool mods and was a great tech in his own right; but the Caswell modded Tremolo was THE amp everyone wanted and that was LONG BEFORE Levi showed up in LA.
Late 80s/early 90s Warren used SLOs. When I saw him in 2001 he was using SLOs. Early RATT were stock Superleads..from what I've read.
So out of the cellar is stock super leads ?

If we can believe what he said in interviews he didn’t start using the SLO till after the Detonator album. That album is still his Super Lead. I’m not sure when he started using the SLO live. Him , Warren Haynes and possibly Mick Mars are the only ones that I can think of that have stuck with the SLO over the years

What he goose them with ?
I think he ran one into another? So, one acts as a preamp for the other. I've never tried that myself. But I'll have to find the link. I do know that Warren had a Superlead that sounded so good, Lynch tried to 'borrow' it a few times lol...

I think he ran one into another? So, one acts as a preamp for the other. I've never tried that myself. But I'll have to find the link. I do know that Warren had a Superlead that sounded so good, Lynch tried to 'borrow' it a few times lol...
I remember the story George told about warren stealing Amps from him too at his house . He returned then because they were not the one he wanted

Back