Well fuck...I got termites!

kannibul

Saw a "sign" of termites, grabbed a utility knife and cut out the drywall - first one was no dice, second one termites fell out...

I'm a combination of pissed off and sick.

Looks pretty early, since the wood they're around doesn't appear to be too damaged.

Got some pics of it for when someone comes out...whoo hoo!

fuck..

Oh man, you're freaking me out. Although I stopped by the soon to be house and it turns out that the holes were from termite treatment.

:|::QBB:
Digital Jams":dc012 said:
Does home insurance cover termites? May want to check to save ya some money.

I called them before and they said "yes" but don't claim it unless you have a lot of damage. Probably a high deductible or something.

Dunno. I'll be spending most of my day tomorrow getting this "resolved" or at least figuring up a plan.

Seems pretty early, since the wood they're in still looks like wood - just with a hole. They've mostly been chewing up drywall.

I had to deal with this last year. I was pissed.
During the home inspection we saw signs of passed activity, no active shit on going. So I had the previous owner buy a 1 year guarantee with an extermination company. Sure as shit when it got warm signs of the fuckers. I had them come and spray, they would only do it where they were active. Killed them good, ripped up the drywall and replaced the studs etc.

I decided to get the stupid Sentricon system for peace of mind. It has shown signs of activity so any of the suckers that ate it will eventually kill the colony.

Next step was I went online and bought Termidor. What exterminators use. You had to lie and say your were a liscensed extermintator. So, I bought about $100 worth of it and sprayed around the perimeter of my house several times. Killing anything in its site. Looking forward to see what happens this year with the scummers.

zewango":e08bd said:
I had to deal with this last year. I was pissed.
During the home inspection we saw signs of passed activity, no active shit on going. So I had the previous owner buy a 1 year guarantee with an extermination company. Sure as shit when it got warm signs of the fuckers. I had them come and spray, they would only do it where they were active. Killed them good, ripped up the drywall and replaced the studs etc.

I decided to get the stupid Sentricon system for peace of mind. It has shown signs of activity so any of the suckers that ate it will eventually kill the colony.

Next step was I went online and bought Termidor. What exterminators use. You had to lie and say your were a liscensed extermintator. So, I bought about $100 worth of it and sprayed around the perimeter of my house several times. Killing anything in its site. Looking forward to see what happens this year with the scummers.

Where did you get the Termidor? (PM me if you don't want to post it) I want to get some, but the licensed thing throws me off.

Someone from Terminx will be here shorly to come out and give me an idea what it will cost (DIY on repairs - though, so far, I need to replace one stud and repalce drywall on either side) - Orkin is coming out tomorrow, and another local place whenever I can get someone to come out.

I figure 3 bids will show who's BS'ing and so on.

I'm not interested in the baiting stuff - I just want the fuckers that are in there dead. From what I've read the liquid stuff is good for 5 years. I can deal with re-applying every 5 years if it's not too terrible - that, and the Centricon stuff is unproven (lots of complaints about it not working and costing too much)

So, yeah...

I'm going to take a lot of notes and ask a lot of questions.

I've owned my house for about 5 years, and they've swarmed here twice. I have a service that comes out every year fairly cheaply and sprays and checks everything. After the second time they swarmed the exterminator was kinda pissed because he said after the last year's treatment they should have been gone. He search my house high and lo for over an hour and finely found that they were living in the floor in a downstairs bathroom. With my wifes permission, he tore out the whole floor and got them all (for free, even carried the trash out for her). Although I had to fix the floor, I haven't had a swarm since. Their no big deal if you pro-actively take care of them, and in my area, everyone has them. Check into the service it's money well spent.

Terminix:

Liquid Treatment (he mentioned Termidor) Trench around the house, drill concrete where they can't trench (driveway, back patio, etc), damage and treatment covered under warranty from day of treatment. $1160, $199/yr renewal

Orkin:

Coming out today

Arrow Extermination:

Called yesterday, not heard back from yet (understandably)

Others:
Checking with people at my work, since we're in the low-income housing industry, I'd be surprised if this hasn't come up before. Might get some good leads...

BTW, the little bastards are coming in through my bathroom. Apparently, it's fairly-common practice to have a hole in the foundation for the water trap for a bathtub. I pulled out the side panel, and was staring at PVC and dirt, and little mud tubes going all over...fuck...

Rufus Leaking":61eb1 said:
You ought to set the house on fire.... that'll teach those fuckers! :gethim:

The thought (JOKINGLY) crossed my mind.

Then build a new house using steel and have a safe room/shelter.

Back