Well fuck...I got termites!

I've got a 5 gallon bucket of used motor oil sitting in my garage...I wonder if I dump that into the area under the trap in my tub if that will eliminate the "problem"

hmm...

(joking, well, sort of...I mean I could be serious...if it'll work...)

Prior to when we sold our first house, we had some damage in the garage...had Terminix come out and tell us we had carpenter ants. They sprayed, took our $$ and left.

When we had a signed agreement on the house, pending inspection the buyer's inspector quickly found that we had termites eating our garage. The buyer quickly terminated the contract and we were SOL.

We ended having to replace the back of our garage and hire a local pest company (much better than the biggies IMO) to come out and install the Sentricon system and we bought two years' worth of renewals before anyone would even look at our house again. What a pain in the ass, especially since we had already purchased our next house.

If I were you, I'd get whatever is determined to be the best solution for your problem, regardless of cost.

4 bids (of 5), got a range from $650 to $1850.

Orkin is $1850, doing the same thing as Terminix for $1050 (liquid perimeter) (Termidor) Terminix's sales person seemed to be a "go getter" or at least, know what he was doing. The Orkin person, seemed to be "lost" and "appologetic".

Mother Nature's Pest Control uses Premise (chemical) for spot treatment, Sentricon for their main "method" - Cheapest Sentricon system and maintenance. Sales guy didn't go over well with me - came across a little unprofessional, making semi-negative comments about other companies and their product choices. Did tell us which of the chemicals that the general public can buy for general insects is the best though.

Arrow quoted liquid perimeter or Spot Treatment+Sentricon, recommended Sentricon w/ spot treatment. Cheapest on chemical treatment. (Termidor) Sales guy was the most professional - I grilled him pretty good too, and he answered every question thoroughly.

All of them offered a warrantee/damage guarantee, however, one thing I noticed - those who used Termidor gave an immediate damage warrantee, while everyone else does it "once the colony is destroyed" - which typically means more than 45 days.

Now I just gotta get the last vendor in, and have him give me the run down of what I'm looking at for what he offers.

The only other thing is Liz doesn't know how to negotiate. She did the same thing when we bought her new car.

When Terminix was at the house, they wrote down the price, and she said "Oh, that's not bad!" - damn, I could have probably haggled and gotten a better deal.

When Mother Nature's Pest Control was out, she was going along with his sales pitch of why Termidor is "bad", because it's outlawed in so many countries and so on - she took it hook, line and sinker...I told her after he left, "You know, I want to kill the termites, not just make them feel bad and leave" - she agreed...lol

Anyhow, that's the latest...

Thats why I bought my own Termidor. Still have some left over for this year. It's time for me to renew the Terminix contract and I dont think i'm going to. $450 for another year of them checking the sentricon systems. F'em :gethim:

Back