What are Fryette 4x12 front loaded cabinets like?

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
H
harddriver
Are they as good as a Mesa Boogie or Marshall 4x12 cabinet?

I've heard people say that front loaded cabinets are tighter sounding on the low chugga chugga stuff. Is that true?

Like Mike Tyson was a bitch, and bitchslapping you right in your face with an iron glove.

Yeah they hit hard. They’re hard to find on the used market. I’ve seen them compared to front loaded diezel cabs.

I’d love to try one of these. I have a credible friend that says I would not like front loaded cabs but I don’t know that I would believe him.

I really like mine and would for my taste prefer it to those cabs. I find it is quite tight, direct and punchy and to me well balanced. The stock speakers they came with I think gave them a bad rap, but I have a mix of V30’s/K100’s in mine, which isn’t ideal either (far from it), but even so it’s the cab I find myself playing most often for the 5 years I’ve had it. Mine is front loaded and VHT branded fwiw

Yeah they hit hard. They’re hard to find on the used market. I’ve seen them compared to front loaded diezel cabs.
They do. I had a Diezel FL that I sold the other month. They did sound very similar when compared, but liked my Fatbottom just a bit more. The FB was a bit tighter, punchier, brighter, more open and better balance for me, while the Diezel was a little thicker, darker, a little more extended lows. Both had the same speakers when compared. The Diezel is maybe a solid alternative if one can’t find a Fatbottom

I had a Deliverance cab, not sure if it was FL or not...but, that was easily the biggest gear purchase disappointment I've had. It sounded like ass. It had the P50s loaded in it and just flubbed and farted its way around the room. Ugh. It was 399 too...returned that thing the next day.

Maybe I should have tried to load other speakers in it? I'd heard how killer those cabs were....not that one.

I dislike them because they have absolutely none of that woody knock like Wizard, Bogner and good Marshall cabs do.

I'm not huge on the front loaded cabs for tight stuff, but I've heard nothing but good things about the fryette ones.

Tight, punchy and wider for the FB cabs. Not deep sounding like rear loaded. Deliverence are alittle deeper, warmer sounding. Both are very anti VH sounding.

The Fryette Fat Bottom with Fane F70s is one of the best cabs I’ve ever owned. With p50es… one of the worst. lol

The FB/Fane can makes the FL Diezel sound dull and dark. I even put F70s in the Diezel cab and it still wasn’t close

It is also better than my FL Ubercab… but I need to remove the batting inside and swap out the T75s which should improve it.

A FB 2x12 with P50e’s I had one time convinced me to never buy another VHT/Fryette cab in my life.

I just got a FB 412 with Fanes. It’s not a bright as I would’ve expected given my experience with 8 ohm F-70s. Compared to my 2000 Mesa OS it’s a bit more focused and tight but it’s not night and day. Definitely a great cab, more versatile than I expected.

Owned a FB with F70s I bought new and waited almost two years from order/payment to receipt. Good Cab, but honestly for me wasn't anything special and I tried it with stock F70G and F90s.I have an EVH with GB/EVH in it that I play with a Whitebox 212/K100s that sets on top and together I like that much better than the FB 412. I also have a D412 with the much hated P50s and I like it but need to swap speakers before offing it. There's a lot of pumped forum hype on the Fryette cabs that I just don't get personally, but I feel that way about cabs in general. They don't give me near the impact that different amps do. They're just cabs, not all that different in my experience.

Last edited:
Fatbottom 4x12 was not resonant enough for me which comes across as lacking oomph in the lows/low mids. Very directional. Tight & clear. The P50e’s could get the job done but are far from my fav speakers. All front loaded cabs have an in your face sound compared to rear loader which are more room filling and distant.

Never tried the Deliverance 4x12. I have an early 90’s pre Fatbottom VHT 4x12, originally came with V30’s, great cab, very clear & tight, more resonant than the Fatbottom but less so than most cabs. It’s pretty focused and a bit directional but not as much as the Fatbottom.

Fatbottom 4x12 was not resonant enough for me which comes across as lacking oomph in the lows/low mids. Very directional. Tight & clear. The P50e’s could get the job done but are far from my fav speakers. All front loaded cabs have an in your face sound compared to rear loader which are more room filling and distant.

Never tried the Deliverance 4x12. I have an early 90’s pre Fatbottom VHT 4x12, originally came with V30’s, great cab, very clear & tight, more resonant than the Fatbottom but less so than most cabs. It’s pretty focused and a bit directional but not as much as the Fatbottom.
I think I heard the pre-Fatbottom is supposed to be even tighter. Did you find it that way? Sounds like you didn’t maybe

Owned a FB with F70s I bought new and waited almost two years from order/payment to receipt. Good Cab, but honestly for me wasn't anything special and I tried it with stock F70G and F90s.I have an EVH with GB/EVH in it that I play with a Whitebox 212/K100s that sets on top and together I like that much better than the FB 412. I also have a D412 with the much hated P50s and I like it but need to swap speakers before offing it. There's a lot of pumped forum hype on the Fryette cabs that I just don't get personally, but I feel that way about cabs in general. They don't give me near the impact that different amps do. They're just cabs, not all that different in my experience.

How would you compare the F70’s to the F90’s? I get the itch every now and then to buy some F70’s, but I’ve heard hardly anything about the F90’s.

Deliverance 4x12 has a patent on a adjustable device that controls the resonance. One of the few patents Steve has.
It's a fairly controlled sound. It has a somewhat vowel "a" sound with a focused bass.

Back